Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia & Asus Video Problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 20, 2010 10:45:13 PM

Hello,
Have a new ASUS CG5275, with their P7H55M Motherboard. This system comes with Onboard Graphics (Intel Graphics Media Acclerator). The graphics are terrible for online gaming with that graphic ssetup so I installed a new 550 Watt Power Supply and a Nvidia GEFORCE GTX260 Core 216 8MB Video Card. This is a PCIe 2.0 Card. I downloaded the new drivers from Nvidia, I forget the revision but was current driver as of 2.20.2010. When I try to install this card, Windows 7 does not even list it in the available devices nor will it find it if I allow Windows to search for new hardware. I set the BIOS to PCI / PGE as primary video adaptor and left the onboard video enabled. Have I done something wrong or is there a problem with all of this. Any help would be most appreciated.
February 21, 2010 1:57:33 PM

Have you already tried disabling the onboard video and setting primary video adapter to PCIe? Make sure your monitor cable is plugged into your Nvidia card before turning the PC on. Did you connect the extra power cables to your GTX260?
February 21, 2010 2:44:52 PM

barmaley said:
Have you already tried disabling the onboard video and setting primary video adapter to PCIe? Make sure your monitor cable is plugged into your Nvidia card before turning the PC on. Did you connect the extra power cables to your GTX260?

Thank you for your response, yes I have tried disabling the onboard video (in BIOS that was called IGD or IGC, can't remember, it was not specified in the BIOS as a primary or secondary of anything just that it could be enabled or disabled. I disabled it) and the primary was set to PCIe / PCI (again in the BIOS that was listed as PGE / PCI initiall device) I chose that option. When I powered down, I placed the video cable on the GTX260 and powered up again. There was no video signal from the GTX260 so I powered down the system, plugged the video back into the onboard graphics port and "oh oh" no video signal from there either. I had to place a jumper on the pins to reset the BIOS back to defaults to get my video to work again from the onboard graphics. As far as the power cables go, I did install two cables from the new power supply that were specifically color coded as "use with PCI devices" to the two connectors on the GTX260.

Related resources
February 21, 2010 2:56:20 PM

fumiko said:
Hello,
Have a new ASUS CG5275, with their P7H55M Motherboard. This system comes with Onboard Graphics (Intel Graphics Media Acclerator). The graphics are terrible for online gaming with that graphic ssetup so I installed a new 550 Watt Power Supply and a Nvidia GEFORCE GTX260 Core 216 8MB Video Card. This is a PCIe 2.0 Card. I downloaded the new drivers from Nvidia, I forget the revision but was current driver as of 2.20.2010. When I try to install this card, Windows 7 does not even list it in the available devices nor will it find it if I allow Windows to search for new hardware. I set the BIOS to PCI / PGE as primary video adaptor and left the onboard video enabled. Have I done something wrong or is there a problem with all of this. Any help would be most appreciated.

Here is some additional information and things that I have tried on this since posting the question.
1. In Device Manager the Onboard Video is listed as Intel Graphics Media Acclerator HD, PCI Buss 0, Device 2, Function 0 ( I am not sure what that PCI information means maybe it will help some of you out there understand something)

2. I tried to follow completely the proper installation procedure for installing a video card;
I went into Device Manager and uninstalled the Intel Graphics Media Acclerator.
I then powered down the system
I then installed the Nvidia card in the first PCIe slot
I then put the video cable on the Nvidia card
I powered up the system and there was no video (not even a minimum graphic mode)
I powered down the system again and put the cable back on the Intel Video
When I powered up the system again it reinstalled (automacially) the Intel Graphics in devices

3. I screamed ARRRGGGGG :pt1cable: 

February 21, 2010 3:18:04 PM

Did you already try all PCIe slots on your mother board?

Sounds like most of the basics are ruled out. If you have access to another PC and/or PCIe video card you can try the good ol' "swaptronics". See if your GTX260 will work in a different box and/or another knowingly good PCIe card will work in yours.

February 21, 2010 7:41:33 PM

barmaley said:
Did you already try all PCIe slots on your mother board?

Sounds like most of the basics are ruled out. If you have access to another PC and/or PCIe video card you can try the good ol' "swaptronics". See if your GTX260 will work in a different box and/or another knowingly good PCIe card will work in yours.

This motherboard has only one PCIex16 Slot, 2 regular PCI Slot and 1 PCIex1 Slot. The GTX card is made to be used in the x16 slot so I cannot move it to another location. My Dell computer (which I really loved) went blue screen on me and thats why I am pounding my head on the wall with this "all new and improved" computer I am working on. It is a couple years old anyway and does not have the PCIe slots. I will not be able to do any card testing that way.

There is one interesting thing I have discovered about the motherboard, it is not setup physically like the specification sheet and the pictures of it look like on the ASUS site. I checked the model number multiple times and my board has for starters the PCI / PCIe slots as mentioned above. The specifications at the ASUS site say this board should have 1 PCIex16 slot, 2 PCIx1 slots and 1 PCI slot. There are other discrepancy's as well with the picture and what I physically have, I don't know if this has anything to do with my troubles.

One thing I have not mentioned, forgot, this BIOS will allow you to choose if you want the BIOS to load all your devices or have the system work as plug & play. It come from the factory set for BIOS to load all the devices. I wonder if this is the reason my GTX card is not showing up in the list hardware discovered on the computer. I tried one time changing this setting to Plug and Play and after that my mouse (USB Mouse) would not work and I was given a notice that "some device was not installed properly". I was not able to navigate well enough without the mouse to find out what was wrong.
February 23, 2010 2:19:31 AM

Well I have finally come up with the proper solution to all of this. I purchased all of this from a Retail Company and let their sales people and service department talk me in to thinking this was a better computer than it was. The also talked me into buying the power supply and the video card to install into the new computer they just sold me. I think that there is nothing wrong with the ASUS computer, it would do a fine job for someone that purchased it for what it was meant to do. After reading the Forums here and what all the latest in computers is, I was sure I had made a mistake and that further work on this was somewhat futile. I have decided to build a system complete (parts list and "how to" instrudtions from the "Homebuilt" forum here.
Thanks to all that tried to help me out.
PS, the store I bought the ASUS has agreed to their mistake and is going to accept the parts and computer back even though the case was opened. I think that says alot for them stepping up and accepting responsibility. :) 
March 1, 2010 4:35:54 PM

So just out of curiosity, what was the actual cause of that problem and what mistake did the store agree to?
!