Upgrade Intel Duo CPU T6600 to support virtualization

borntosucceed

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Hello,
I have a toshiba satellite notebook with Intel Duo CPU T6600, which I just found out does not support hardware assisted virtualization.

Can anyone recommend a processor with similiar (or better) performance which is suited for the satellite and supports virtualization?

Thanks
Thomas

Solution
It is not recommended to swap mobile cpus's as cooling is designed for that specific family of processor.

If your wanting to run XP Mode under Win7, Microsoft have removed the block for non compliant cpu's or you could just run Sun's Virtualbox, that has no restrictions.
It is not recommended to swap mobile cpus's as cooling is designed for that specific family of processor.

If your wanting to run XP Mode under Win7, Microsoft have removed the block for non compliant cpu's or you could just run Sun's Virtualbox, that has no restrictions.

Solution

borntosucceed

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Thanks for this, I am actually currently running VMWare Server which works well on the laptop except for the fact that the network is almost as slow as dial up internet. So I am looking at a different virtualization solution.

I prefer to have a proper VM running rather than just running in XP Mode and MS Virtual Machine itself still has the CPU restriction. So I'll download Virtualbox and see how it performs.

Thomas

logainofhades

Titan
I have changed the CPU in my laptop. You will have to do some digging to see what chips were released with your model of laptop. If you keep it within that same family you should be fine. Regardless, if your bios does not have a VT option, you are dead in the water anyway.