Core i5 3570k---CPU hot but heat sink doesn't hot.

kahasima

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Hello,
I am running a intel core i5 3570k and overclock it to 4.2 ghz. When I'm running prime95 the temperature reach to 58-60C but when I touch the heat sink it doesn't hot nor warm, still very cool. I don't get it.
My other cpu which is AMD fx4100 I overclock it to 4.2ghz the temperature was around 50 but the head sink kinda warm.
For the Intel it is not warm even though the temperature is 10higher.
Both run with tthe COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
Help please!! :((

kahasima

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Oh really? so every ivy bridges have the same problem? I overclock to 4.2 and run prime 95 for 8 hours but it fail I dont know why. No warning but there were some couple errors. :(( help me!

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Ivy bridge processors.... poor heat spreader installations (I've read too many of those...) and the fact that the actual contact patch between the heatspreader and the die is even smaller than the Sandy bridge chips at 32nm. The biggest thing you'll note is that even with the IB's lower wattage, it still runs hot because of exactly what Neon said... Less surface area.

Your issue isn't where the heat lies though... Even if your cooler isn't warm doesn't mean a thing. Specially with the giant fins on the 212. You'll actually have to touch the base to know that IB chip under there is producing the heat. Where as the AMD counterpart is pushing a lot more room and a lot more wattage which the 212 is still more than capable of controlling.

at 4.2Ghz you're going to need some voltage going into that IB chip. I don't think I've read more than a few posts of people getting 4.2Ghz on the stock voltage on an IB chip. However if I had one and after I read all the posts I have, I don't think I'd be taking an IB chip much over 1.225v or so.

However, I do love my Sandy Bridge the same as Neon does simply because Prime95 for me at 4.4Ghz (-0.025v offset voltage) is running at 52-55C keeps me cool inside as well as my cpu on the inside. :)

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
They overclock fine. They have more differences in different chips I've noticed on their limits and voltage requirements though. The Sandy Bridge CPU's seemed to usually be pretty similar with what they'd run at unlike the Ivy Bridges.

If you're failing Prime95, I'd recommend either tapping the voltage up a hair (Going to result in higher temperatures) or backing off a tick or two on the multiplier to gain that stability.