Water Cooling Project Advice

Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
December 28, 2012 9:13:44 AM

Hello Everyone,
I would like to water cool at least my cpu as a nice holiday project. I don't have more than $200 to spend, and I would want the performance to be more efficient than my current cpu fan (otherwise there wouldn't be much point). I do like the idea of a 200mm radiator, but I don't know much about any water cooling components...

More about : water cooling project advice

a c 97 à CPUs
a c 91 K Overclocking
December 28, 2012 11:31:24 AM

then your first stop should be the watercooling sticky, located in my sig or on top of the forums section :) 

welcome to watercooling mate!

read it with some time, and if you'd like a kit, then there's a section for that too in the sticky.

as a secondary advice, head down to the watercooling gallery to see how others have taken it towards installing their loops and not to forget the build logs thread

* the XSPC kits look to be right up your alley as a matter of fact...
m
l
a c 211 à CPUs
a c 117 K Overclocking
December 28, 2012 2:49:47 PM

Lutfij said:
welcome to watercooling mate!

* the XSPC kits look to be right up your alley as a matter of fact...

+1
m
l
Related resources
a c 211 à CPUs
a c 117 K Overclocking
December 29, 2012 2:59:48 AM

lerett said:
Does this seem like a decent choice? I would possibly like to add a 200mm radiator later (or straight away)...any thoughts?

It just might, what is it?
m
l
December 29, 2012 3:02:41 AM

C12Friedman said:
It just might, what is it?

oops, sorry. (I edited the post)
m
l
December 29, 2012 3:51:11 AM

Cool, are there actually any kits with 200mm radiators? I just like the idea of getting one of those into my case...simply because a 240 covers up the possibility of even one 200mm fan or radiator in the top.
m
l
a c 211 à CPUs
a c 117 K Overclocking
December 29, 2012 4:26:47 AM

If you're convinced the 200mm rad is the way you want to go, I say get the cheaper RASA kit (although the Raystorm is better) and put the difference into the 200mm rad, you should still be within your budget. If you want, you can mount the 120mm rad also or, simply not include it in your loop.
m
l
December 29, 2012 4:46:35 AM

I'm not 100% sure what I want, I just want to maintain good airflow in the case and not 'waste' any fan space...I would be willing to spend an extra $40 for better quality, since this is really not the kind of thing I want to skimp on, considering buying a new MB would be a lot more expensive.
m
l
December 29, 2012 5:40:34 AM

Would it be a reasonable idea to try to get all the parts separate?
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 152 K Overclocking
December 29, 2012 6:48:14 AM

Not for $200! ;) 

m
l
a c 205 K Overclocking
a c 120 à CPUs
December 29, 2012 7:31:49 AM

It also doesn't include the D5 pump :) 
Moto
m
l
December 29, 2012 8:11:05 AM

Ah, well in that case it is quiet expensive...I might try to get a kit and the radiator then...although it is a bit of a shame that you can't get kits with, and without certain parts.
m
l
a c 205 K Overclocking
a c 120 à CPUs
December 29, 2012 8:13:04 AM

The good thing is that you can expand later though when funds allow :) 
and kits are made up of parts that 'someone' decides are a good balanced option, if you are set on certain components, you are better off going full custom from the start or using a kit as a startpoint
Moto
m
l
December 29, 2012 8:30:58 AM

I think I'll just get the earlier recommended raystorm kit, install it in the front of my case since it still takes in air, and expand later when I have enough money...or I'm building a new PC...or whatever it just happens to be. Cheers everyone. Now the final question, what kind of coolant should I use?
m
l
a c 205 K Overclocking
a c 120 à CPUs
December 29, 2012 8:35:23 AM

Plain distilled water with either,
Silver killcoil
anti-algae biocide
or UV light
but read through the W/c sticky for more detailed insights,
Moto
m
l
a c 205 K Overclocking
a c 120 à CPUs
December 29, 2012 9:29:49 AM

Yes to the coil, but you can get distilled water for a few quid/dollars at a pharmacy/auto store, don't fall for the spiel from primochill or feser type companies, their stuff is no better than the real stuff
Moto
m
l
a c 97 à CPUs
a c 91 K Overclocking
December 29, 2012 10:12:30 AM

ahem :)  everyone's given great responses so far! Just adding the missing detail, OP , you'll get biocide free w/ your kit :sol:  so all you'll need to do is buy distilled from supermarket or your local grocers or your pharmaceuticals or even battery water will do.
m
l
December 29, 2012 10:38:50 AM

Alright, cheers again everyone, my final question is; how would I get at making the distilled water (from the supermarket) with biocide (from the kit) colourful?
m
l
a c 205 K Overclocking
a c 120 à CPUs
December 29, 2012 11:02:07 AM

Coloured tubing :) 
Moto
m
l
December 29, 2012 11:08:37 AM

Well apparently coloured liquid is good to spot any leaks...I'm guessing that food colouring wouldn't work out would it?
m
l
a c 97 à CPUs
a c 91 K Overclocking
December 29, 2012 11:17:33 AM

please read the water cooling sticky before proceeding to ask about coloring :)  its like a no-fly-zone for watercoolers regarding that topic :p 
m
l
a c 205 K Overclocking
a c 120 à CPUs
December 29, 2012 1:25:15 PM

**Well apparently coloured liquid is good to spot any leaks...I'm guessing that food colouring wouldn't work out would it? **
Heres a better idea, build it well and there will be no leaks to see :) 
Moto
m
l
December 29, 2012 9:27:47 PM

"please read the water cooling sticky before proceeding to ask about coloring :)  its like a no-fly-zone for watercoolers regarding that topic :p "
Eeps, I'll check it out the sticky then
"Heres a better idea, build it well and there will be no leaks to see :)  "
Well that's the plan...just I'm not sure I trust myself to not have a single leak. Although I guess a good kit which is assembled correctly really should have no reason to leak, but you never know.
m
l
December 29, 2012 10:35:48 PM

Lutfij said:
please read the water cooling sticky before proceeding to ask about coloring :)  its like a no-fly-zone for watercoolers regarding that topic :p 

Well I checked the stickies, I didn't find anything about colouring...I guess I'm still in a no-fly-zone though aren't I? I might just decide to colour it later on...
m
l
a c 97 à CPUs
a c 91 K Overclocking
December 30, 2012 2:13:08 AM

the sticky is packed full of info I suppose you missed to check the links... anyhow;

colors are based on dyes, most commonly the food coloring and industrial fabric dyes. Dyes stain anything they come into contact with this also means staining your skin. It wouldn't be called a dye if it didn't stain :) 

These colors whether food or textile will eventually break down and clump up together and begin to accumulate in the restrictive parts of your blocks. They will then gunk them up, kill your temps and most of the time produce damage to the internal fins due to the dyes later sticking to the fins, making a layer of debris(though thin) will affect temps.

If you want color in your loop, add distilled and have colored tubing. Spray painting the tubes won't help either, it just doesn't *stick* onto the surface. Google *coloring tubing with dyes* and you should be able to find a tutorial on wrecking your kitchen & a pot and producing your own batch of colored tubing :) 
m
l
December 30, 2012 2:35:29 AM

Alright...I'll leave my hands off the colouring then. Cheers everyone yet again, and I'll probably order the kit soon!
m
l
December 30, 2012 4:59:16 AM

One proper final question (as in REALLY the last one), what are those miniature power supplies called which supply one molex plug which are used partially to test water cooling without turning anything else on?
m
l
a c 97 à CPUs
a c 91 K Overclocking
December 30, 2012 5:14:20 AM

watercooling sticky - building and filling a loop section
m
l
December 30, 2012 5:19:51 AM

Well it mentions specialized power supplies, but that doesn't bring me any closer to actually finding one...
m
l
a c 97 à CPUs
a c 91 K Overclocking
December 30, 2012 5:31:45 AM

its not a specialized power supply its the pins of a PSU only requiring you to jumper the green and black wries.
m
l
December 30, 2012 5:59:38 AM

So basically use jumpstarted PSU which is plugged into the pump, as opposed to buy a whole new specialized power supply?
m
l
a c 211 à CPUs
a c 117 K Overclocking
December 30, 2012 6:02:43 AM

lerett said:
One proper final question (as in REALLY the last one), what are those miniature power supplies called which supply one molex plug which are used partially to test water cooling without turning anything else on?

Those are called "silly". Use your regular PSU, jump it with a paperclip or, to get really fancy, you can use a pre-made jumper like this http://www.jab-tech.com/24pin-power-supply-starter-with...
m
l
December 30, 2012 6:05:04 AM

OK thanks everyone one final time. The only strange thing is when I googled silly it didn't come up with exactly what I was looking for...
m
l
a c 211 à CPUs
a c 117 K Overclocking
December 30, 2012 6:19:58 AM

'Silly' defined this way: exhibiting or indicative of a lack of common sense or sound judgment - it's not a necessary item for watercooling. It's good to have if you are constantly cleaning/changing loops but it is IMO an easily avioded expense... but here is one http://www.xoxide.com/12vdcpowersupply-single4pin-molex...

edited to change item
m
l
a c 97 à CPUs
a c 91 K Overclocking
December 30, 2012 6:37:16 AM

:lol:  now now... friedman :sol: 
m
l
December 30, 2012 6:39:13 AM

Damn, their silly is out of stock!
m