Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Data Recovery
  • Windows Vista
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
March 20, 2012 12:29:08 AM

I have a hard disk recovery/image problem.

My HDD from a Lenovo IdeaPad Y510 recently failed to boot. I kept getting a "windows corrupted, insert Vista disk and boot from cd" type of message. The optical drive is not working, and I didn't have a Vista install or rescue disk anyway. I have some files on the HDD that I would really like to retrieve, and of course did not recently backup. Vista hung up while logging off so I forced a shutdown, and it failed to reboot, so I am hoping it may be some sort of registry error and not a drive failure.

Lenovo has a factory reset button, but I would like to recover files first if possible. The laptop used the Veriface facial recognition software for logging in, although I typically hit the log-in button and used my password, but I still had it running. I have tried imaging the drive using Macrium Reflect, but get a message stating "the process cannot access the file because another process has locked part of the file". At this point I am not sure if it won't image because of drive failure or if it can't because it is password protected. It is possible the drive has failed. I'm fairly careful with it, but it has taken a couple hits over the years (hence the dead optical drive). I would know if the drive is dead by resetting it, but would lose the files.

Ideally I would like to image the drive on another computer, re-install the HDD in the laptop, and reset to factory defaults (and then probably replace the drive just in case and upgrade to W7 with a clean install). I just want to try to preserve all the files I can on the old drive.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

More about : hdd image recovery

March 20, 2012 7:29:54 AM

Since you have no answer so far, what I did once was use a linux unbuntu cd boot disk , it can access windows partition, then using a free disk utility, i recovered most of my files. If linux can't see your files, a commercial program is only known soltution from my view...because you must have mbr or fat corruption.
Score
March 22, 2012 8:36:05 PM

rgarand said:
Since you have no answer so far, what I did once was use a linux unbuntu cd boot disk , it can access windows partition, then using a free disk utility, i recovered most of my files. If linux can't see your files, a commercial program is only known soltution from my view...because you must have mbr or fat corruption.

Thanks for your suggestion, rgarand. I tried scanning it with the program that alt-rtt suggested and it did find some files, but most looked like windows related files. While it was scanning the drive made some nasty sounds from the head bouncing off a platter, or so it seemed. I decided to cut my losses and hit the "novo" reset button to see if I could recover the OS before doing any more damage to the drive. I don't hold out much hope, so will probably start with a clean install of W7.
Score
Related resources
March 22, 2012 8:40:43 PM

Quote:
You may also try to recover files from your computer using the startup version of R-Studio. This article explains how: Emergency File Recovery Using R-Studio Emergency. It'll be able to find files even if the MBR/Boot record of the disk is damaged, even without imaging the drive.
Your case is Case 2 - File Recovery from a Damaged Logical Disk/Partition.
R-Studio is a pay program but it allows you to estimate whether you can recover your files before buying it.

Thanks for the tip. I did run the program you mentioned and found some files, but none appeared to be much of anything other than Vista related files, and not much at that. It looks like it would have worked great, but my HDD must have been damaged physically due to the sounds it made when it neared the end of the scan. I know better than to not backup, but got lazy. Now I'm paying the price. At least nothing really critical was lost.
Score
March 29, 2012 10:48:32 PM

Best answer selected by Kurt_07.
Score
July 11, 2013 11:37:44 PM

If you have some collection of precious moment images and some official work details which is lost or missing owing to some kind of data loss reasons, at this situation, what do you do, if you no answer of this problem, so don't worry just try and use this hard drive data recovery software which is the perfect solution of this problem and gives you utmost result in a span of time.

http://www.systoolsgroup.com/hard-drive-data-recovery.h...

http://www.systoolsgroup.com/windows-data-recovery-soft...
Score
January 12, 2014 4:06:01 PM

this is useful to me. thanks.
Score
!