Xfx 8800GT game crash

symptoms: Whenever i play certain games that require heavy load in graphic, after about 15-60 min the screen would go blank, either grey, black or orangish, the sound would continue for 1-2 sec and goes into a machine gun like sound loop. The computer would lock up and i would have to restart. When i restart my monitor would get no signal and would have to leave the computer off for 10-15 min before turning it back on for my monitor to display.

My computer runs fine for months without turning it off when i play games like starcraft 2 beta, heroes of newerth, silkroad online (5 different clients which brings my ram up to 70-85% running and runs for a week straight) i also did a memtest86 and have some mem error i dont know if it is the cause of the crash since i run other things and it runs fine.

Only when i play heavy graphic games like ghost busters and alien vs predator that the error occurs and i also set all the graphic on low and resolution is 1600x900 (my desktop resolution is 1680x1050)

I have looked around the web and found many issues related to my symptoms. Im wondering if it can be a overheating issue, voltage issue, ram issue, bios issue or nvidia driver issue, or my monitor (im using a samsung monitor and i found that some samsung monitor has problems with the DVI causing no signal).

Specs:
Mobo: MSI K9N SLI V2
CPU: AMD Phenom quad-core
GPU: XFX 8800 GT alpha dog edition (driver 196.21)
8G ram
PSU: Antec truepower new 750w
5 answers Last reply
More about 8800gt game crash
  1. If memtest is reporting errors then if you have 4x2GB then test them one by one with memtest and see if it gives you errors with all of them
  2. I suspect this is your GPU or memory modules on the card overheating, I've had the same issue with my 8800GT and I got the Thermalright HR-03, with or without the 92MM fan - it solved it right up, more over games are running much more smoothly.

I suggest you under-clock the card with Rivetuner and try it again - if it stops happening(or time frame until crash grows longer), we know its an over-heating issue.

Also check idle temp, if it stands on 55-60 in idle - its a problem, from my attempts card PCB fail-safe kicks in at around 80-90C to prevent damage and that's probably what you see as the symptoms.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=167228

http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner

Good luck.
  3. thanks, i just finished testing my ram and i ended up with 3 bad sticks and 1 good one. good thing patriot has lifetime warranty on thier memory sticks and going to rma it. i tested the game with the good 2gb stick and the game still crashes but with a bsod and memory physical dump. it crashed about 5 minute after i checked the temp and the temp was 100c playing the game. My Gpu idles at 65c I have read other forums that 8800 GT should run fine around 100c.

Now i need to decide should i buy a new heatsink like that thermalright or should i jsut spend an extra 80 dollar and grab a brand new video card. i think 8800 GT are getting a little out dated but gotta go check the new specs on the new nvidia cards. If theirs a big difference better performance better temp ill probably go with a new video card instead. But if i find people getting overheat with the new GPUs ill probably jsut buyt he heat sink time to do more research on new GPUs
  4. i decided to spend 20 dollars on Artic cool Accelero Rev2 VGA cooler for my 8800 gt instead of a new video card going to install and find out the result
  5. From my research:
    The maximum PCB temperature that can be tolerated depends on the quality of the components. Commercial grade components are guaranteed to function safely at 70 C ambient temperature. Industrial grade components are classified for 85 C.

So in other words, and we are assuming every PCB board out there for GPU's is considered commercial grade: 60-65 IDLE while above 85C at load is extremely unwise - and would probably damage your board if it won't cut itself off.

Hope the Accelero did the trick.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Games Monitors Graphics