Wireless Help - Can anyone see my network?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
August 25, 2004 5:53:36 AM

I've had some great advice and help from this group before so I'll try this.

I am not sure I can make my self completely clear but here it goes:

I just got a D-link today. Hooked up my laptop and everything is working
perfectly.

My question: When I put my mouse over the icon of the two computers that are
next to the clock (bottom right), you know the one that tells the signal
streingth. And r-click then go into "view available wireless networks".
I see two and sometimes three others.

It seems to me if I can see them they can see me.
How will I know if someone is on my network?
When I highlight one of the networks it says I need a network key to get in.
I know I have not set anything like that up.
How important is that? I tried and wasn't able to connect after wards.
I also know that I have not activated the Firewall.
When I click advanced and then configure there are no checkmarks in: Data
encryption WEP enabled or in: Network Authentication.
Also in the "Wireless Network Connection Properties" there is an advanced
tab when I click it Nothing is checked.
Again, I tried to activate the firewall in Wireless Network connection
properties and to establish a network connection key but after that I
couldn't access the internet.

Am I completely exposed? Can the other people who are being the networks I
see log into mine.
What's the deal with the wireless network key? Must I activat that feature?

Thanks for any advice.

IS.

More about : wireless network

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
August 25, 2004 6:27:15 AM

Wireless networks have become so common that it's not unusual to pick up
several, even "at home".

Some tips:

-If you are using channel 6, the default channel, change to another
channel. Probably 80% of all WLANs are using channel 6.

-You MUST turn on encription, WEP or WPA (if supported). This makes
configuration of the network much more difficult, but you MUST do it or
your network will be completely open to anyone.

-If you have such an option, configure the router or WAP to disable
broadcasting of the SSID.

-Once you have the network working, configure Winodws XP on the clients
to use only that one preferred network and not to search for other
available networks.

-it's a bit extreme, but you can setup the system to filter by MAC
addresses. This will absolutely lock out all clients other than yours.

IS wrote:

> I've had some great advice and help from this group before so I'll try this.
>
> I am not sure I can make my self completely clear but here it goes:
>
> I just got a D-link today. Hooked up my laptop and everything is working
> perfectly.
>
> My question: When I put my mouse over the icon of the two computers that are
> next to the clock (bottom right), you know the one that tells the signal
> streingth. And r-click then go into "view available wireless networks".
> I see two and sometimes three others.
>
> It seems to me if I can see them they can see me.
> How will I know if someone is on my network?
> When I highlight one of the networks it says I need a network key to get in.
> I know I have not set anything like that up.
> How important is that? I tried and wasn't able to connect after wards.
> I also know that I have not activated the Firewall.
> When I click advanced and then configure there are no checkmarks in: Data
> encryption WEP enabled or in: Network Authentication.
> Also in the "Wireless Network Connection Properties" there is an advanced
> tab when I click it Nothing is checked.
> Again, I tried to activate the firewall in Wireless Network connection
> properties and to establish a network connection key but after that I
> couldn't access the internet.
>
> Am I completely exposed? Can the other people who are being the networks I
> see log into mine.
> What's the deal with the wireless network key? Must I activat that feature?
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> IS.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
August 25, 2004 7:02:57 AM

Thanks Barry as usual that's a great advice.

Now, does anyone know the step by steps and is willing to share how to do
what Barry is talking about?
I've tried the D link site and the manual that came on the cd. But have not
been successful yet.

Thanks.

IS.

> Wireless networks have become so common that it's not unusual to pick up
> several, even "at home".
>
> Some tips:
>
> -If you are using channel 6, the default channel, change to another
> channel. Probably 80% of all WLANs are using channel 6.
>
> -You MUST turn on encription, WEP or WPA (if supported). This makes
> configuration of the network much more difficult, but you MUST do it or
> your network will be completely open to anyone.
>
> -If you have such an option, configure the router or WAP to disable
> broadcasting of the SSID.
>
> -Once you have the network working, configure Winodws XP on the clients
> to use only that one preferred network and not to search for other
> available networks.
>
> -it's a bit extreme, but you can setup the system to filter by MAC
> addresses. This will absolutely lock out all clients other than yours.
>

> IS wrote:
>
> > I've had some great advice and help from this group before so I'll try
this.

> > I am not sure I can make my self completely clear but here it goes:
> >
> > I just got a D-link today. Hooked up my laptop and everything is working
> > perfectly.
> >
> > My question: When I put my mouse over the icon of the two computers that
are
> > next to the clock (bottom right), you know the one that tells the signal
> > streingth. And r-click then go into "view available wireless networks".
> > I see two and sometimes three others.
> >
> > It seems to me if I can see them they can see me.
> > How will I know if someone is on my network?
> > When I highlight one of the networks it says I need a network key to get
in.
> > I know I have not set anything like that up.
> > How important is that? I tried and wasn't able to connect after wards.
> > I also know that I have not activated the Firewall.
> > When I click advanced and then configure there are no checkmarks in:
Data
> > encryption WEP enabled or in: Network Authentication.
> > Also in the "Wireless Network Connection Properties" there is an
> > tab when I click it Nothing is checked.
> > Again, I tried to activate the firewall in Wireless Network connection
> > properties and to establish a network connection key but after that I
> > couldn't access the internet.
> >
> > Am I completely exposed? Can the other people who are being the networks
> > see log into mine.
> > What's the deal with the wireless network key? Must I activat that
feature?

> > Thanks for any advice.
> >
> > IS.

a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
August 25, 2004 7:18:41 AM

The exact procedures will vary by router mfgr. and even model number, so
I can't help you quite that far. It's all in the router configuration
pages, except for a bit of configuration in Windows XP which may still
vary depending on the router drivers installed.

IS wrote:

> [...]
>
> in.
>
>>>I know I have not set anything like that up.
>>>How important is that? I tried and wasn't able to connect after wards.
>>>I also know that I have not activated the Firewall.
>>>When I click advanced and then configure there are no checkmarks in:
>
> Data
>
>>>encryption WEP enabled or in: Network Authentication.
>>>Also in the "Wireless Network Connection Properties" there is an

>>>tab when I click it Nothing is checked.
>>>Again, I tried to activate the firewall in Wireless Network connection
>>>properties and to establish a network connection key but after that I
>>>couldn't access the internet.
>>>
>>>Am I completely exposed? Can the other people who are being the networks

>>>see log into mine.
>>>What's the deal with the wireless network key? Must I activat that

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
August 25, 2004 7:21:12 AM

Never mind.
I think I found something on the D-link website.
I'll see how that goes.

Thanks.

IS.

"IS" <bs@bs.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> in.
> > > I know I have not set anything like that up.
> > > How important is that? I tried and wasn't able to connect after wards.
> > > I also know that I have not activated the Firewall.
> > > When I click advanced and then configure there are no checkmarks in:
> Data
> > > encryption WEP enabled or in: Network Authentication.
> > > Also in the "Wireless Network Connection Properties" there is an
> > > tab when I click it Nothing is checked.
> > > Again, I tried to activate the firewall in Wireless Network connection
> > > properties and to establish a network connection key but after that I
> > > couldn't access the internet.
> > >
> > > Am I completely exposed? Can the other people who are being the
networks
> > > see log into mine.
> > > What's the deal with the wireless network key? Must I activat that

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
August 25, 2004 4:51:25 PM

Dlink has an 800 number and they answer 24/7. They are usually very
helpful. Your manual should have the number.

"IS" <bs@bs.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> in.
> > > I know I have not set anything like that up.
> > > How important is that? I tried and wasn't able to connect after wards.
> > > I also know that I have not activated the Firewall.
> > > When I click advanced and then configure there are no checkmarks in:
> Data
> > > encryption WEP enabled or in: Network Authentication.
> > > Also in the "Wireless Network Connection Properties" there is an
> > > tab when I click it Nothing is checked.
> > > Again, I tried to activate the firewall in Wireless Network connection
> > > properties and to establish a network connection key but after that I
> > > couldn't access the internet.
> > >
> > > Am I completely exposed? Can the other people who are being the
networks
> > > see log into mine.
> > > What's the deal with the wireless network key? Must I activat that

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
August 26, 2004 5:22:04 AM

i second that, they have always been helpful to me; i called them after i've
had their stuff for more than a year and they answered no problem

!