Film 35mm :Equivalent resolution with 20 MPXL

Last response: in Digital Camera
November 28, 2004 5:41:28 PM

New Canon camera have 17 MPXL.
Sensor have 4900 pixel for 36 mm.
4900:36=136 lpmm (or 68 )
Velvia have 160 lpmm (or 80 )

My conclusion:D SLR digital hav'nt the same film's resolution.With 17 MPXL....

What do you think about this?

Hi
Germano
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 2:04:02 AM

"germano" <germano.colla@libero.it> wrote in message
> New Canon camera have 17 MPXL.
> Sensor have 4900 pixel for 36 mm.
> 4900:36=136 lpmm (or 68 )
> Velvia have 160 lpmm (or 80 )
>
> My conclusion:D SLR digital hav'nt the same film's resolution.With 17
> MPXL....
>
> What do you think about this?
>
> Hi
> Germano

And Agfa's Agfaortho 25 could resolve 250 Lpmm - perhaps we should all move
over to black & white instead? Who needs all that nasty color when there's
all that resolving resolution to be had.

November 29, 2004 2:09:27 AM

Good clean fun if you have time for it...but its apples and oranges. Forget
resolution....think about how big you can go before artifacts bother you.
For 35mm its about 8x10 and for 6mp its 8x10....so think of them as about
equal. The numbers you are using tells you how many mp it will take to show
up the grain of 35mm...but that is not what you want to do.

"germano" <germano.colla@libero.it> wrote in message
> New Canon camera have 17 MPXL.
> Sensor have 4900 pixel for 36 mm.
> 4900:36=136 lpmm (or 68 )
> Velvia have 160 lpmm (or 80 )
>
> My conclusion:D SLR digital hav'nt the same film's resolution.With 17
MPXL....

> What do you think about this?
>
> Hi
> Germano
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 7:25:53 AM

Apples are not oranges, either.
Potentially film has better resolving power than digital.
Potentially we are all geniuses.
In reality we are more like the American electorate.
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 7:51:21 AM

germano wrote:
> New Canon camera have 17 MPXL.
> Sensor have 4900 pixel for 36 mm.
> 4900:36=136 lpmm (or 68 )
> Velvia have 160 lpmm (or 80 )
>
> My conclusion:D SLR digital hav'nt the same film's resolution.With 17
MPXL....

> What do you think about this?

IMHO, there are several factors that affect image quality:
- The lens' resolving power. A cheapo lens will kill any super lp/mm
resolving power of your mega-$$$ slide film.
- The medium's (film/digital) resolving power.
- MTF curve
- Signal to noise ratio aka what happens to film lpmm at ISO 800
- Other factors like image stablisation, MLU
- The idiot behind the box!!!

All the above are pre-shot.

Post-shot:
- If its film, whats the quality of the processing lab?
- If its digital, did you shoot RAW or JPEG?
- If you got it printed, then on how and on what?
- If not printed, how are you viewing it? If its digital and a CRT
monitor then whats the quality. If its slide film then whats the
quality of the loupe or the slide projector lens?
- Your eye correction factor!!

Put all that together and we'll argue further on film vs digital.
- Siddhartha
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 12:30:51 PM

germano wrote:
> New Canon camera have 17 MPXL.
> Sensor have 4900 pixel for 36 mm.
> 4900:36=136 lpmm (or 68 )
> Velvia have 160 lpmm (or 80 )
>
> My conclusion:D SLR digital hav'nt the same film's resolution.With 17
> MPXL....
>
> What do you think about this?

You can't characterise a complex optical chain by a single number such as
lp/mm. It's the shape of the MTF curve and the noise versus spatial
frequency curve that will affect the perceived image quality.

How does the same sized print of the same subject compare to your eyes?

David
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 4:44:30 PM

germano <germano.colla@libero.it> wrote:
> New Canon camera have 17 MPXL.
> Sensor have 4900 pixel for 36 mm.
> 4900:36=136 lpmm (or 68 )
> Velvia have 160 lpmm (or 80 )

> My conclusion:D SLR digital hav'nt the same film's resolution.With 17 MPXL....

> What do you think about this?

Velvia has 160 lpmm at a contrast ratio of 1000:1. Now find out at
what resolution real lenses with a real subject deliver a contrast
ratio of 1000:1.

Andrew.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 12:53:07 PM

In article <3449482c.0411281441.2e40ed7@posting.google.com>,
germano.colla@libero.it says...
> New Canon camera have 17 MPXL.
> Sensor have 4900 pixel for 36 mm.
> 4900:36=136 lpmm (or 68 )
> Velvia have 160 lpmm (or 80 )
>
> My conclusion:D SLR digital hav'nt the same film's resolution.With 17 MPXL....
>
> What do you think about this?
>
> Hi
> Germano

The generally accepted figure for real life resolution of the entire film,
camera, lens system is in the range of 40-60 lpm. To display the image
you need to project or print and thus introduce another round of resolution
issues.
The same types of arguments hold for digital. The nominal resolution on the
sensor has to be combined with the lens performance and any anti-moire filter
built in the camera. Then you need to factor in your output medium. Screens
don't count, but inkjets have their own limitations.

Currently a lot of people think that 8-16 mpix cameras are about the same as
medium speed 35mm film. Slower films and larger format films still have an
edge in resolution.

--
Robert D Feinman
http://robertdfeinman.com

The lpmm measure is not adequate as it only considers luminance
resolution. A better measure is the grain threshhold i.e. the resolution
at which film grain becomes visible. For a popular film such as
Provia100, this is about 1600ppi. Scanning at slightly above this
threshhold (e.g. 2400 ppi) will extract all available information from the
film but the resulting individual pixels will be of very poor quality.
35mm Provia 100 is equivalent to about 4 to 5 mpixels and 6x4.5 MF
about 10 to 12mpixels.

Graham

!