Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Yes, another bottlenecking question.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 21, 2010 1:07:50 AM

Okay so I have recently finished my build, and out of nowhere, I start getting horrible framerates and get lag until I restart. I am expecting it's because I'm bottlenecking, but I am not totally sure, and if I am, I'm not so sure what is being the bottleneck.

So here is my setup:

Case: Antec 1200

Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Extreme

PSU: Kingwin Mach I 1000w

CPU: Intel Core i7-920 @ 3.2 GHz
(I get lag anywhere past this, and sometimes on 3.2 as well)

Heatsink: Cooler Master v10

RAM: 6GB Corsair Dominator @ 1604 MHz

Video Card: EVGA GTX 285

HDD: 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB (Raid 0)

I play on a 25" 1920 x 1200 monitor and when I'm in game sometimes it will line me down and then back up and I start to get lag. It will be so bad that for instance on MW2 I will be getting like 40 fps and I will have to restart (happens very randomly too). I'm thinking about either getting another 285, or a new Radeon card like the 5870 or the 5970 (since nvidia still hasn't released their DX11 cards). It's not like I need one, but it does get annoying playing on lower settings when I have such a good computer just because I lag, plus the fact that I can't overclock nearly as high as I should be able to. I would really appreciate the help. Thanks!

More about : bottlenecking question

a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2010 1:20:17 AM

What programs are you running on the background while you play?

Cheers!
m
0
l
February 21, 2010 1:20:26 AM

I normally wouldn't post if I don't know the answer, but your problem has me dumbfounded. The only thing I see wrong with your build is you CPU Cooler.(v10 really do suck)

There is no chance of bottlenecking with the rig you have listed. The only thing I can think of is your registry may errors. Your MB is solid, PsU is solid, CPU is solid. RAM is solid, and GPU is sexy. Your raid want change anything so you are dealing with an OS issue.

Hope I helped.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 21, 2010 1:28:17 AM

StarsFan9 said:
CPU: Intel Core i7-920 @ 3.2 GHz
(I get lag anywhere past this, and sometimes on 3.2 as well)


So it sounds to me like you only have the problem if you are running at an OC? If that is the case then I would suspect one of two things: Either your temps are too high causing it to throttle itself to stay cool enough, or you're going past what your CPU can do without errors.

If I'm misreading and you have the problem at stock rates as well it could still possibly be heat, but I would be more suspect of background programs or things like the indexing service.
m
0
l
February 21, 2010 1:29:13 AM

Yuka said:
What programs are you running on the background while you play?

Cheers!


Well usually I run Skype because that's what I use to talk while I'm playing. I always have Steam open. Usually I have i-Tunes running as well, and SpeedFan for my temps.
m
0
l
February 21, 2010 1:39:41 AM

kiren said:
So it sounds to me like you only have the problem if you are running at an OC? If that is the case then I would suspect one of two things: Either your temps are too high causing it to throttle itself to stay cool enough, or you're going past what your CPU can do without errors.

If I'm misreading and you have the problem at stock rates as well it could still possibly be heat, but I would be more suspect of background programs or things like the indexing service.


Well thats why I always have SpeedFan open in my tray, and when I was hitting 3.8 GHz (stable after running Prime95) I was getting temps around 29-32 degrees celcius idle, and around 50-55 on 100% load, so I really don't think it's because of heat and as far as my v10 goes, I've been very pleased with it being since I haven't had temps any hotter than 55 degrees celcius on 100% load for a few hours, and I'm pretty sure it's stable, I mean I don't blue screen or notice any performance lag while computing and gaming (other than when it randomly lags). And it also happens after playing on COD for hours, or after a few minutes into my first game, so I am very flustered.
m
0
l
February 21, 2010 1:42:53 AM

logitic said:
I normally wouldn't post if I don't know the answer, but your problem has me dumbfounded. The only thing I see wrong with your build is you CPU Cooler.(v10 really do suck)

There is no chance of bottlenecking with the rig you have listed. The only thing I can think of is your registry may errors. Your MB is solid, PsU is solid, CPU is solid. RAM is solid, and GPU is sexy. Your raid want change anything so you are dealing with an OS issue.

Hope I helped.


Idk, it seems like a great cooler. Not totally sure if it's worth the price tag, but I get great temps (40 degrees celcius in game, depending on what I'm playing). The only thing I dislike about it, is that I wish I could tell when the TEC chip is on.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2010 1:58:37 AM

StarsFan9 said:
Well usually I run Skype because that's what I use to talk while I'm playing. I always have Steam open. Usually I have i-Tunes running as well, and SpeedFan for my temps.


Do you have any Antivirus software or any kind of program wich could be doing scans in the background or going active after some time by itself?

Like Avast!, AVG, NOD32, etc...

And i-tunes on the background... That sounds dangerous, lol. And I have no info on Skype being harmful while playing, so that ain't the problem. Steam doesn't harm and neither SpeedFan... Weird case indeed.

Cheers!
m
0
l
February 21, 2010 1:59:43 AM

Hmm. Well I don't really think 55 should be high enough to cause significant problems. Time to look into background processes I think.
m
0
l
February 21, 2010 2:02:40 AM

Yuka said:
Do you have any Antivirus software or any kind of program wich could be doing scans in the background or going active after some time by itself?

Like Avast!, AVG, NOD32, etc...

And i-tunes on the background... That sounds dangerous, lol. And I have no info on Skype being harmful while playing, so that ain't the problem. Steam doesn't harm and neither SpeedFan... Weird case indeed.

Cheers!


Yeah I do have AVG, as far as it scanning I really have no clue, should probably check that. And as far as background programs causing problems, yeah iTunes was the only thing that really shouted at me.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2010 2:12:27 AM

Try looking at the software side of things from all sides anyway. Hardware wise, like it was pointed out by logitic, doesn't fit at all.

It could also be drivers (video, cpu, chipset, windows itself, etc)... You're using RAID 0, it could also be an issue around that while playing, or BIOS revision of some sort.

Cheers!
m
0
l
!