I NEED HELP FOR AN ESSAY!!!!

jovana

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Hello, i have to wright an essay and i can't find the information i need!!! the topic is: evolution of the ratio price/performance of contemporary processors

PabloRSA

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008

The evolution of CPUs was born with the process of nano technology advances and mass production. You could start with the current price/perfomance chart AMD vs Intel then go back in time to 386's. Touch on the bases that technology has double in short times like the memory going from 32/64/128/256/512/1024.
For extra credit you may want to talk about quad cores and dual cores and how they have driven the price of single/dual cpus down the price ladder.

Im not a prof but if i had to write the essay then thats how i would go about with it.

jovana

Distinguished
May 11, 2010

thanks a lot for your help !
i will try to find some information!

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Of what may be useful info, check out AMD's pricing of it's Athlon II's, twice now they've raised clockrates and maintained the same price point. Most likely this is enabled by their manufacturing process maturing and granting better power/clockspeeds more often/easily.

loneninja

Distinguished
Something important to mention with the evolution of modern cpu prices are the price wars we saw between AMD/Intel that began in 2006. AMD had the performance advantage in early 2006 with it's Athlon X2 line and Intels Pentium D just didn't match up very well. When Intel launched Core2, it gave much better performance than AMD's Athlon X2, and they even sold it at a lower price point. This forced AMD to drop prices, and they continued to go back and forth with new price cuts. Now today, AMD still can't match the top performance, so they offer more at lower price points than Intel.