Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Effect of Temperature of the Room

Last response: in Overclocking
December 28, 2012 2:20:18 PM

How much can/should a warmer room affect the temperature of a graphics card and a system as a whole? My new rig started in a room that is generally cooler than the one it is in right now by about 2-3 degrees (celcius). My CPU and GPU were idling at around 25-27 before.. now they're both idling around 33. I'm trying to cool the room off, and don't really want to move it again as it's in my room right now. Is that rise in temperature probably from the difference in temperatures of the rooms? Am I still alright overclocking with those idle temps?
a b U Graphics card
a c 88 K Overclocking
December 28, 2012 2:44:42 PM

When overclocking, idle temperatures have no real meaning. The max temperatures you sustain while under load are what are of concern. Stressing your GPU while keeping those within a safe zone is the goal here. What are your temps when GPU is at 100% load for 20 minutes? That's what you should be concerned with...
Ambient temperature does have an effect on component temperature so what you are experiencing is quite likely due to the unit being relocated
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 29, 2012 4:06:30 AM

Rule of thumb for all air and water cooling devices that don't run induced cooling. Ambient temperature is the absolute minimum the device can run.

So if you have a room sitting at 28C, your cooler no matter how strong shouldn't actually be able to drop the temperature to anything lower than 28C. However with most systems today it will generally be a few degrees higher than the ambient temperature.

The ambient temperature effects all temperatures similarly. However load temperatures as C12 denoted are the most important factor. While ambient air temperatures can have a bigger impact on load temperatures then most would think. Remember, if you're blowing 25C air on a GPU that's running at 60C to maintain the temperature, 30C air being blown on the same cooler may not be able to keep 65C with the hotter air being blown across the heatsink.

So measure your max load temperatures with something like Unigine Heaven benchmark for a decent session 15-30 minutes and see where you're sitting. Depending on the GPU, you may want to use the software control panel to adjust fan speeds to compensate for higher temperatures.

As for the CPU, you can typically use Prime95 on Blend mode utilizing all threads to see how hot your CPU will run at a typical full load. This has to be done for at least 15-30 minutes as well. If need be, you may have to setup some fan profiles with a program like speed fan or even in your BIOS if need be.

However, for the most part while running at stock speeds/settings most gear these days are designed to be able to maintain safe temperatures in an 80-90F room.
January 1, 2013 6:41:51 AM

Best answer selected by chain220.
m
l
!