Problem - System doesnt turn on.

Getnitdunn

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I am not sure if this qualifies as a problem yet. Anyway i just received the crosshair III. I told myself im going to wait until i have all my components before i start putting my pc together. The only piece i do not have is the graphics card. Im waiting for prices to go back down on the hd 5850 toxic edtion to come down (it went up 30 bucks in 3 days!).

So i do not have a graphics card but i got too excited and decided to at least start building and when i purchase my gpu i can just slip it in and press the start button.

Like i said, this is my first pc that i am building, i am not sure if this qualifies as a problem yet, but after i connected everything, i plug in the psu, switch it on, and the MoBo lights up. I got excited. However i thought to myself, even though i do not have a graphics card installed, i think that the pc should still power up, so that i know everything is connected correctly, so i can sleep happily. Kind of like a pre building test. fans LEDs and the cpu cooler should spin up. When pressing the power on button, the psu fan jolts, the case fans LEDs flash, the cpu cooler's LED flashes, and doesnt turn on. And actually i just got an idea...

So i put in my old graphics card from my HP computer, tried to power up the pc and doesnt turn on. MoBo lights are on, the RoG logo, the START and RESET buttons on the MoBo are lit.

The PSU is a Corsair 850w non modular, and the case is the Antec 1200. V8 cpu cooler, 140w amd phenom II. All connections are connected properly, the PWR SW from the case to the mobo is in the right pins. Not sure why it doesnt turn on.

Again i am new to building a pc. I thought that my 850w power supply would be enough to power up the system, even without the gpu.

Any suggestions? Thanks for any replies!

If this is your first build, then you can never be sure of all connections going down properly.. I too got a similar problem with my first build quite some time ago and the fault was that i had not connected the 4 pin CPU power plug properly.. BTW that 850W is and will be in future, enough even with the fastest GPU on our beloved planet..

Getnitdunn

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I tried an external build. Also didn't work. Wondering if no video really does work. The one I tested with was a bfg 9400 gt. Not sue if older cards "work" with the crosshair or new power supplies. I'll keep this updated. Thanks in advance.

Getnitdunn

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I made sure the cpu power plug was in correctly. Mine is actually an 8pin. It snaps right in. Something has to be shorting the psu. It only shoots power through the system once everytime I switch the psu on. After that first try I press the power on button on the case and nothing. Switch off the psu... Wait for my mobo lights to turn off... Switch my psu back on hit the power button on my case or the start button on my mobo and the fan on the psu jolts and the LEDs on the case fans flash. And the CPU cooler flashes it's red LED. That's it. I took apart everything two times. When I try again I will do what those threads say. I'm just gonna first try with nothing installed but one stick of ram.

Getnitdunn

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Ok everything works fine! One of the case fans was shorting the psu.

I found out about the paper clip routine. I took everything out and tested my psu with a paper clip. Found out the my psu was working just fine. Then one by one started plugging all my hardware in. And then each fan one by one. For some reason the fan that didn't work last time decided to work this time. Thanks everyone for the replies.

G

Hi, i was wondering if you could give me some advice, your problem seems identical to mine.

Crosshair 3, xfx 5850, ocz 850w psu, system will turn on, card fan will spin up randomly and i can't turn it off via the power button, only the PSU switch.

No post, no vga output, nothing.

I unplugged everything apart from the Gfx card, one ram stick and same problem.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
TAKE YOUR MOBO OUT AND CHECK FOR MISPLACED STANDOFFS !

bet you think it couldn't be that. ? . . . ?

read all the way thru that 1st link I posted (Authored by ShortStuff) ... be religious and don't skip steps or make assumptions.

Occasionally (but rarely) folks do get a DOA mobo, PSU, etc. Swapping with known good parts can solve that (if you have access to like(ish) parts. If not ... RMA.

= Al =

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
OH !

Disconnect the "Soft Power" (frnt panel button) header cable from the mobo ... just let it hang-loose.

Get a pad of paper and methodically log your re-build and swap strategy.

College Algebra: Section XXI : "Systems of Equations with Many Variables".

= Al =

G

Thanks for the reply, but it can't be either of these...can it?

I'm using the PC right now, happy and dandy, but only with my flatmates 600w power supply.

Seems to not work when i use the OCZ GameXstream 850w, and im baffled :S

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Of course, you might want to try re-installing it, one more time, to make certain it was not a poorly seated connector ... This could have been a drive or a fan, as well as the main connector, so ... Anything that is currently NOT connected to that 60W is also suspec.