Turning ON an old power supply

condennnsa

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Hello everyone. I have 4 power supplies from some old computers, and I want to turn them into Desktop power supplies. They're not atx, and I don't know how to turn them on. They are made by Lucent Technologies, model LP300A.

I have found the pinout on the internet on this website:

http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/validateUser.do?target=Systems/Example/Devices/DCPOWER_Lucent_1337_300W&source=

That page says that on the 16 pin connector, pin 10 is for power on, I tried connecting pin 10 to ground but nothing happens. I want to mention that I also connected a resistor on the 3.3V rail when I tried, because I heard that some power supplies won't turn on if not loaded.
Did I need to connect some other pin to pin 10, instead of ground?
Does anybody know which pins I need to connect in order to get turned on?
thanks

condennnsa

Distinguished
May 11, 2010

What I'm trying to do is to figure out how to turn it on without the motherboard. I'm sure that it's not always on, since the fans don't move and the thick voltage wires show no reading. They are old PSUs, so no green wire. they came from Sun Microsystems Ultra 30 workstations. I want to use them for an electrolytic cell, as well as other little experiments, since they can put out a tremendous amount of current, 60A on the 3.3V rail, and 30 on the 5volt. And I have 4 of them. I am also sure that they all work, since i tested them when i took them out of the computers, but like an idiot, i threw away the motherboards...

Even though i found the 16 pin connector described on that website, I don't understand what some of those functions mean... what does POR, +Sense , OVP Program , +V Program mean? and even the on/off pins? should they be connected to GND, or to a live wire? thanks

Collie147

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I know there is a switch you can connect to a PSU to test it's functionality, rather than connecting it to the MOBO. But I couldn't tell you where I saw it now, and as for the other probs, You might need to talk to an electrician about those, my knowledge goes out the window once you go past +5 +12 and gnd, I could only guess at the other stuff but I think POR is Power On Reset if that's any help

untario

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012