Sign in with
Your question

Putting in the wrong memory into hp vectra vl420

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Hewlett Packard
Last response: in Memory
October 25, 2010 2:43:56 AM

on my HP Vectra VL 420 mt I purchased ecc instead of non-ecc and installed it. system would not recognize it, so i put the non-ecc back in and system beeps radically and then beeps 3 times. says it does not recognize the original memory. Hard drive turns on but no monitor. Is the mother board junk ????

More about : putting wrong memory vectra vl420

a c 128 } Memory
a b α HP
October 25, 2010 3:02:52 AM

Maybe not. Try resetting the bios using the cmos jumper with the system off. Simply move the jumper over one position, always keeping two of the three pins covered for about one minute, then return the jumper to it's original position. Or remove the board battery for about one minute also. If you still have the problem, try just one stick at a time in dimm slot number one. One may have been damaged by your handling. Don't give up easily. I've had boards come back to life unexpectedly.
m
l
October 25, 2010 9:53:04 PM

have done all this and still no response, even downloaded manuals did what they recommended. Still at my witts end. But I surely do thank you for your advise!!! Maybe there is some other little tricks to the3 trade.. :-)))))
m
l
October 25, 2010 10:20:09 PM

o1die said:
Maybe not. Try resetting the bios using the cmos jumper with the system off. Simply move the jumper over one position, always keeping two of the three pins covered for about one minute, then return the jumper to it's original position. Or remove the board battery for about one minute also. If you still have the problem, try just one stick at a time in dimm slot number one. One may have been damaged by your handling. Don't give up easily. I've had boards come back to life unexpectedly.

have done all this and still no response, even downloaded manuals did what they recommended. Still at my witts end. But I surely do thank you for your advise!!! Maybe there is some other little tricks to the3 trade.. :-)))))

m
l
!