Im considering water cooling

icedriver220

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
im considering water cooling my amd phenom 2 955 socket am2+
i just wish to know the relevent kit that i would need i have seen all in one kits and also seperate pumps and rads and blocks
im not sure what to get but i need to cool my cpu as even stock speed with a artic cooler its a big one with copper pipes and everything im still reporting temps of 45c idle and 58c-64c during gaming and im replacing cpu thermal paste every two weeks as it keeps drying up and then temps go sky high too 55c idle and 65c-75c while gaming

Save your money.

A water cooling kit is no more effective than a good air cooler.
Air is cheaper, quieter, and less reliable.

Perhaps you have a case cooling issue.
Take the side panels off and direct a fan at the innards. If your temps come down, fix the case, or buy a good one.

If your room ambient temperature is high, you will get high temperatures.

Thermal grease does not need replacing. I don't know what you are using.
Arctic silver is a good one. It does not reach full capability for 200 on/off cycles.

And... Perhaps you are using too much which will act as an insulator. A small drop will spread and do the job.
You want only as much as necessary to fill in microscopic pits in the mating surfaces.

What motherboard needs to fit in the case?
What case do you currently have?

The Antec 100/200/300 series cases are qood quality with decent cooling.

+1 @geofelt's postS. Rosewill's gaming cases (e.g. Blackhawk, Challenger, Thor) are also decent, and probably come with more fans than most competitors' cases; you'd have to buy the extra ones.

No need, your description is sufficient.

The cooler has a 92mm fan which tends to be noisy and inefficient.
At least compared to a $30 cm hyper 212.
But, I don't think you need to change it out.

Your motherbooard is a ATX size and needs a mid-tower type case.
The Antec cases I referenced will do the job.
For good cooling two 120mm intake fans or the equivalent in output should be plenty for even a strong single graphics card.

If you are in the us, thee US, the Antec 300 illusion model for $59 is a very nice case. Check the reviews.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066