Sign in with
Your question

Mobo, ddr and video card for i7 930

Last response: in Systems
March 4, 2010 5:41:23 AM

I have a 930 cpu for a new build. I plan on doing some video editing, dvd copying/burning, photo editing, video watching along with typical internet usage/microsoft usage. I plan on windows 7 as well. No overclocking.

A lot of mobo's are available for the 1366 socket. I would prefer to keep my mobo, ram and vid all for under 400 dollars. I was thinking 150 for video and 150 for mobo and 100 for memory.

Using this budget, what do you recommend?

Thanks.
March 4, 2010 6:05:23 AM

not gonna happen for that $$$

If you are going to step up to a socket 1366, don't cheap out on the mobo !!!

If you want a cheap mobo & ram ... go with a socket 1156 i5-750 0r higher ...
... your ram will be cheaper and you will only need to buy 4GB, rather than 6GB (as with the socket 1366).

As far as the card goes ... I don't think you would want to go lower than one of these (Ati 5670 eyefinity).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And, really, if you want a respectable gaming rig (i5-750 or i7-9200 either) then you prolly want a quality aftermarket cooler (fan+heatsink) and . . .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Always go for 1GB GDDR on a game or editing card (regardless of series) AND ALSO try to avoid VGA (D-sub) connectors as they are obsolete and display port is more flexible and DVI can be converted to VGA, anyway. (more future proof and has more modern flex (projectors, etc.)

= Al =
m
l
March 4, 2010 6:09:35 AM

... continued ...

... 1156 mobos run $50~$100 cheaper (even more) than 1366 AND do not forget that AMD/AM3/Black edition systems (above 3GHz) provide an excellent value ... Something like 80% the performance of an 1156/i5-combo, for roughly 50%~55% the cost and saving up to $155 on ttl sys cost.

= Al =
m
l
Related resources
March 5, 2010 12:58:20 AM

thanks for the vid card advice. which mobo do you recommend? I am not a gamer. I just want a higher end system. If I need to spend some more on a decent board, I will.

And which ddr3 for mem? I was thinking of picking up 4 gb triple channel ram for starters. always can add more later. any recommendations there?

thanks again.
m
l
March 5, 2010 2:43:45 AM

You *** DO NOT GAME *** ... Correct ?? (talkin' 'bout the gpu, here).

If you render highest quality 25MBit/sec video to H.264/.wmf for output, you WILL wan't to overclock ... you can cut a 7 hour render by 2 hours !!! The i7-930 is MADE TO clock to 4.2 GHz, on good air (aftermarket air cooler aka HtSnk+Fan) ... Intel and Gigabyte (or ASUS) have made it horribly simple and safe to do.

I am pretty sure you want RipJaws 3x2GB at Cas 9 but I have not confirmed that is the very best timing for max (comfortable, cool and safe) O.C. ... I also really wish ShortStuff would drop in and explain any (possible) differences between RipJawz and Tridents (other than huge heatsinks that get in the way of the cooler).

Any-Hooo ... I have never O.C.d (except my Northwood P4) but it really is worth it and, I think, an absolute sin not to clock an i7-930 to the expected 4GHz "super-cruise" speed, for dat-long renders, etc.

When you DO O.C. ... be sure to disable TURBO BOOST and SPEED STEP (causin' You ain't gonna needum !! ). ... and they might push the cpu to an unstable clock rate.

= Al =

m
l
March 6, 2010 1:06:39 AM

You are correct. No gaming. Perhaps in the future but doubtful. Not much time for it. I have never oc'd but I see a lot of post saying how easy it is, especially with this 930. So I probably will look into it especially with vid rendering.

I like the price of the mobo you suggested. I see right now I can get this for a similar price on tiger direct with bing cash back. This is the new egg link to the same board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-Sl...

Since their the same price essentially, which is the better choice?

Thanks for all the help. I really do appreciate it.
m
l
March 6, 2010 1:52:51 AM

msukc said:
I see right now I can get this for a similar price on tiger direct with bing cash back. This is the new egg link to the same board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-Sl...

Since their the same price essentially, which is the better choice?

Thanks for all the help. I really do appreciate it.

NOT !

Great company ... great board ... not for you and I .

The simple explanation is that the EVGA is a blatantly targeted gamer's enthusiast board which has a specialized physical layout and card-bus design which is wholly dictated by it's 3xSLI architechtural design "PRIORITIES".

Two other good reasons NOT to do the EVGA mobo are 1) The lack of USB3.0 and SATA-III ports (and other extras) and 2) The fact that the EVGA is an aging design (but proven and stable and popular, to be fair).

Were I a dedicated gamer, I would love to have an EVGA CLASSIFIED SERIES board and a couple of top end EVGA (branded) graphics cards, in a combo savings bundle promo. Piece of mind, knowing all the timings will be compatible and optimized, for total O.C..

= Al =
m
l
March 6, 2010 2:52:48 AM

You don't need a fancy gaming motherboard for your intended use. Here's a combo deal for the i7 930 and a nice Gigabyte board that has SATA 6Gb/s and USB 3.0.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $479.98 (i7 930 + Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R combo)

Here's an excellent 6GB CAS 7 DDR3 1600 kit that runs at 1.5v. It doesn't get any better than that.

G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI - Retail $179.99
m
l
March 6, 2010 8:32:45 AM

Thanks for the advice. I plan on going with the gigabyte mobo, sapphire card and that PI series ram. All for about 500 bucks pending any deals I can dig up.

Looks like I am close to finishing this build. My only hesitation now is that many people have told me that a 930 is overkill and I should've bought the i5 750. Because the 1156/p55 saves me hundreds of dollars overall and I won't notice a performance drop.

Thoughts? I have the 930 already but I can return still because it is unopened.

And if you agree I should be targeting the 750, which mobo, vid, ram combo do you recommend?

Thanks for all the help. You guys have been awesome. I love all the info I am learning.
m
l
March 6, 2010 9:01:49 AM

WELL ... it REALLY depends on what type and how much multimedia processing that you intend to do. Length of video programs. Volume of production. Output render quality. Volume of PCM>>.mp3 compression.

For instance, rendering even a 5 min video of AVCHD/HDV to a 25Mbit/sec, 1080P-30fps 2-pass constant bit-rate H.264 .wmf file, at highest quality, will take some serious time. . . . - .mp3s also take time (ripping from CD).

So it depends on the quality and density and the amount of HD video rendering and transcoding which will be likely, in any given month.

The 920/930 WILL kick the i5-750 when it comes to these tasks.

If you are a lightweight multimedia dude, then, the 750 is a better choice (economically). The 920/30 won't provide any significant advantage in games, at any comparable clock (or OC) rate.

= Al =

= Al =
m
l
March 6, 2010 7:20:39 PM

Thanks Al for justifying my purchase to me. Basically my 930 system is costing $1120 vs $920 for the 750. 200 dollars more doesn't seem like too much more to me. I didn't want to regret later that I didn't just do it.

Not sure if I will be a heavy duty multi media guy. But time is important to me. If I sit down an create a nice video DVD, copy a dvd, burn some mp3s etc, I want to complete it quickly without lots of lag.

I feel this gives me the best opportunity.

I will keep my 930 I bought and proceed without looking back. Thanks again.
m
l
March 6, 2010 7:29:03 PM

u r welcome .. glad 2b of assist.

=
m
l
March 7, 2010 11:47:18 PM

Well, Al. Might as well ask which HDD drive and dvd burner you recommend. Here is the HDD I am targeting. Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I know the size is small but will suit my needs for now. I can always add another HDD later. I also already have an external 1 TB for backing up my data.

One last simple question, windows 7 64 bit home premium system builder version?
m
l
March 7, 2010 11:58:34 PM

Well, that is a "commodity" drive, but a fine, snappy one. I do not know of any "undue" failure rates, with any of the Seagates, right now, but you should check the cust reviews (statistically) against like-drives, just to flag any anomolies.

Around here, the better value-consious technicians recommend the SAMSUNG SpinPoint F3 more often than anything else ... 1TB Caviar Blacks are next.

SAMSUNG DVDRs and PIONEER or LG BlueRays players/burners, are premium.

I strongly recommend stretching for a 60GB boot SSD, if you can. If you leave that for later, you may never do it (complete system install required).

= my take =
m
l
March 8, 2010 12:07:00 AM

With the "system builder" version, you only get ONE install !!! SO, if that commodity Seagate should crash ... or a virus take you out, you will have to buy a new copy, for a fresh install.

HOWEVER ! Barring killer malware, if you install that OEM builder OS on a 60GB SSD, I'll bet you $11.53 US that you will never need to install again, unless it be a major version upgrade. That SSD ain't gonna fail ... no how. Guaranteed!!!

So, I would go OEM Builder and put the savings toward an SSD ...

With SSD boot, you are still gonna want another working drive.

= Alvin =
m
l
March 8, 2010 12:26:01 AM

Thanks. I already have a 64 ssd with trim for this system. I am planning on making it my boot drive.

I was thinking the hdd and dvd would be the place I would try to keep cost down. Thanks for the tips. I will go with the seagate, spin point or caviar as recommended.

This is the os you are referring?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
March 8, 2010 12:30:53 AM

Alvin Smith said:
Around here, the better value-consious technicians recommend the SAMSUNG SpinPoint F3 more often than anything else ... 1TB Caviar Blacks are next.

Pretty sure you're off-base there, Alvin.

Typically the recommendation (around these parts) is either get a Seagate 7200.12 or a Samsung Spinpoint F3 at the 500 GB and 1 TB sizes. The Spinpoint is typically preferred, but they're both recommended. In the THG benchmarks, the Seagates come out (very) slightly ahead on some gaming benchamrks, but I believe the Samsung drives are ahead more frequently on a wide variety of benchmarks, which leads to the perception that they're a little more all-purpose.

If you're going up to a 2 GB, the WD Caviar Blacks are fine, but Western Digital doesn't use 500 GB platters in the smaller size drives.
m
l
March 8, 2010 1:07:48 AM

This is the os version for my new build right?

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
m
l
March 8, 2010 1:13:40 AM

coldsleep said:
Pretty sure you're off-base there, Alvin.

Typically the recommendation (around these parts) is either get a Seagate 7200.12 or a Samsung Spinpoint F3 at the 500 GB and 1 TB sizes. The Spinpoint is typically preferred, but they're both recommended. In the THG benchmarks, the Seagates come out (very) slightly ahead on some gaming benchamrks, but I believe the Samsung drives are ahead more frequently on a wide variety of benchmarks, which leads to the perception that they're a little more all-purpose.

If you're going up to a 2 GB, the WD Caviar Blacks are fine, but Western Digital doesn't use 500 GB platters in the smaller size drives.

fine ... +1 ... I defer to greater talent. I'd be about as happy with any of them ... Cost/GB and tempted by cache size and platter density .

= Al =
m
l
March 8, 2010 1:33:20 AM

oops same os listed. thought they were different
m
l
April 12, 2010 3:48:21 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
You don't need a fancy gaming motherboard for your intended use. Here's a combo deal for the i7 930 and a nice Gigabyte board that has SATA 6Gb/s and USB 3.0.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $479.98 (i7 930 + Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R combo)

Here's an excellent 6GB CAS 7 DDR3 1600 kit that runs at 1.5v. It doesn't get any better than that.

G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI - Retail $179.99

This is actually my exact build.

I'm at 3.8 on 1.20 volts presently, Prime tops out with core0 at 72 C.

I think I may swap out the coolermaster 212 for the Corsair H50 to see if I can get the temps down. Maybe I'll give the heatsink a week to settle in. I've only been running it for 4 days.
m
l
!