Sign in with
Your question

A10 5800k overclocking help

Last response: in Overclocking
December 28, 2012 6:14:25 PM

i have recently bought a a10 5800k apu and i am scared of overclocking (its not my first time or anything like than). The problem is with the igpu and the cpu. I want to overclock both, the cpu and igpu and i m just confused with all those bios settings. there are so many options for changing voltages on all the apu series motherboard. Do the cpu and igpu share the same voltage option or what is it. i am totally blank with this build.
Some one please help.
There is one low quality tutorial on youtube which is hard to see because the camera just moves all around the place.

I got Asrock fm2a75 pro 4 motherboard.

More about : a10 5800k overclocking

January 3, 2013 6:35:23 PM

I have the same chip. I recommend overclocking the GPU, and the RAM if you can. The CPU can be overclocked a little.

The Northbridge voltage should be set to 1.275 to facilitate the OC, anything higher is beyond AMD's recommendations and could be risky. My MSI a75 mobo could not OC the GPU from the bios because the power saving feature on the chip would override my voltage settings, so I ended up having to use AMD Overdrive to OC the GPU. I would try bios settings first and if you run into the same problem, use AOD.

OCing the ram will increase GPU performance, I wouldnt go higher than .5v over factory spec for your ram, but Im not an extreme OC'er keep pushing it if you wish.

The CPU should be set to OC itself via turbo core function by default. With good cooling you could raise the top turbo frequency to 4.4ghz vs 4.2. The nice thing about turbo core is that it automatically scales voltage up for you...extreme OC'ers wont like this, but there isnt a whole lot of headroom for OCing on this chip anyway so I say go ahead and save yourself the hassle of tinkering with voltages and use turbo core to OC. If your using the stock cooler I would keep max turbo at 4.2ghz and set both boost levels to the same frequency, instead of 4.0ghz and 4.2ghz default. (the max boost core frequency does not kick in very often, this will allow you to operate at max frequency more frequently)
April 19, 2013 11:34:44 AM

I have the same chip, and a similar motherboard. When I do the OC turbo, it sets the speed to 4300 mhz. Is that too fast? My computer freezes sometimes, so I wonder if it's because it's overclocked.
April 19, 2013 5:19:00 PM

I have the pro4-m so my bios settings should be similar. I have had lots of problems undervolting with this CPU so spent some time working out what different settings did.

Overclock mode is for blk, so I left it at auto- try not to change this if possible-causes lots of problems. I disabled spread spectrum and turbo core as tubo core seems to mess with voltage.
spread spectrum- disabled
AMD application management -enabled
DRAM timing config-biggest difference will be made here so get as fast as possible and stable then move on to graphics. (speed is much more important than latency)
NB/GFX voltage put at 1.275.
GFX clock is for graphics part of chip- stock is 800, see how high high you can go with stability- maybe past 1000? (make sure your test is stressing the GPU and RAM).
CPU voltage -somewhere between 1.35 and 1.5ish depending on overclock (it may be better to set lower and use voltage offset)
CPU freq multi-obvious if you have overclocked before.

then i went into advanced and and CPU config and changed

core 6- enabled
cool n quite- enabled
svm-enabled

Make sure
1. you stress test each part before moving onto overclocking the next.
2. voltage is not going above 1.55 in stress test (use CPUZ).
3. cpu is throttling down voltage and freq when not in use (x14 multiplier and .9ish voltagein CPUZ)
4. CPU is not overheating and throttling down during stress test

You may also want to disable power saving features if all you care about is a fast overclock- not worth it for me.

hope this helps!
!