Power supply for my system

Last response: in Systems
March 4, 2010 8:51:29 AM

Well I'm having problems deciding which power supply to choose,
I have a asus p5b deluxe
intel corde 2 due e6600
SAPPHIRE S465512D3 ATI RADEON 4650 512 mb DDR3 PCI-E Retail HDMI
And thats all,

Now there are generic 500W power supply that cost 20$, But the sell man says that they not really 500W , So why do they sell them?
Any help..
Thank you.

More about : power supply system

a b B Homebuilt system
a c 83 ) Power supply
March 4, 2010 9:07:58 AM

You won't need a lot of power. A C2D 6600 and 4650 doesn't use a lot of power. What PSUs can you afford where you are? If your in the USA and can buy online, Look to a 380-500W Antec or Corsair unit.
March 4, 2010 9:17:14 AM

I'm from Israel,
I'm afford most power supply ,But as you said I dont need alot of power,
I'm not plaining to ever upgrade my video card, maybe only memory, so what is the lowest price PSU that I need, Those PSU you suggested cost about 65$ here in Israel, Any thing cheaper?, Because as I said there are PSU called "generic 500W " that cost 20$
Thank you
Related resources
March 4, 2010 10:04:31 AM

For a 4650, you will need 350W to 400W PSU with a minimum of 24A on the 12V rails. You can buy the cheapest PSU that you can find with 24A on the 12V rails, but is it recommended to buy a PSU from the brands mentioned above.
March 4, 2010 10:43:51 AM

FunSurfer Thank you,
But why is it recommended to buy a brand PSU?
They only different I have found is that in the brand PSU i have 2 years warranty and in the non brand I have 1 year warranty, but in the price on the brand one I can buy 3 non brand. Soo for price to warranty I have more warranty on the non brand,
What is the cons of the non brand?
Thank you.
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 83 ) Power supply
March 4, 2010 10:57:53 AM

Because the "brand" ones are less likely to die on you. Read.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Notice in test seven the rails didn't even get out of spec, but the unit still died. With a quality unit the protections will kick in and save your computer. Cheap PSUs will not.

I'm confused as to why you say you can afford most power supply, but your looking at only the cheap ones. If you don't know which to buy, list the ones you can afford and we can tell you the best of the lot. Better then us suggesting things you can't get.
March 4, 2010 10:58:52 AM

no_alone said:
FunSurfer Thank you,
But why is it recommended to buy a brand PSU?
They only different I have found is that in the brand PSU i have 2 years warranty and in the non brand I have 1 year warranty, but in the price on the brand one I can buy 3 non brand. Soo for price to warranty I have more warranty on the non brand,
What is the cons of the non brand?
Thank you.

The brand PSU is supposed to last longer. PSU efficiency is decreasing with time.
March 4, 2010 11:12:51 AM

Ok
Thank you both, Now I know the data, I'll just think a bit and diced,
4745454b I can afford them, But I wanted to know if I need them , because as you can see its not a computer game, Just for studying and maybe one day to play starcraft 2 ... he he/( I got the mobo and the processor from my uncle, He didnt needed them, so I buying the ATI RADEON 4650 and 2gb crosier 800mhz CL5, and I was stuck on power supply)

So even due I can buy a good PSU I wondered If I should buy a good PSU ,
I thought maybe good PSU are only for good games computer, And this is not a good games computer.
Thank you .
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 83 ) Power supply
March 4, 2010 1:16:18 PM

A quality PSU should be in every system, not just the gaming ones. Because its not a gaming computer you can get away with a 380W or 400W PSU. (Antec or Corsair respectively.) In addition to better potential computer saving features, these will have higher efficiency and lower noise then more generic units. You don't needs the massive 750W units, but any quality unit will be better in the long run.
!