3D Vision coming in ATi

meodowla

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
With Catalyst 10.3 ATi is introducing 3D Vision in ATi cards....

From Toms:
3D Stereoscopic Driver Hooks: This is ATI’s first driver to support stereoscopic technology, though third-party vendors like iZ3D have worked with the company’s cards for years. ATI says its Direct3D driver is now able to output stereo images at 120 Hz—a capability that it didn’t have before. But because Nvidia has the dominant momentum in this segment (which seemed to really generate excitement at CES), ATI is undoubtedly anxious to get its own implementation off the ground. Consider Catalyst 10.3 the groundwork; there’s really nothing else to show off or discuss at this point.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Now I hope they do some kind of physx to match Nvidia, yea I know Havok, cpu physics yada yada yada, I don't care what they choose to do I hope they get something to challenge our 58**'s.

It's not bringing 3DVision to ATi cards, it's simply adding 3D to ATi's cards.

Read the third sentence in that description: 3D Vision is nV's own solution, this is a different 3D solution, and both have experience prior to 3DVision through other 3rd parties who've worked on it for far longer than either of them. So, it's not correct to say that it brings 3DVision to ATi and would lead people to believe nV had anything to do with it's implementation, which they don't.

Well without real game-physics and compelling titles, does it really matter if they bring anything? The need can currently be filled by buying and nV card if you want PhysX, and to me until they actually do game physics, it's still just as good as the tech demos provided by havoc and not something that needs to be universal. If adoption was more widespread, even if it remained just debris physics, then maybe I'd change my mind on that, but for now, it's not as important as adding 3D for 3D Blu-ray which is a big thing for movies in the future, and if they can improve their 3D gaming at the same time, that'd be nice too.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Surely if both Nvidia and Ati started doing physx, proprietary or not, all game developers would get 'physx' or some dereviate going in their games, as to not 'get behind' the competition.

Yeah, I just want it to become more than a checkbox feature (like force-feedback, etc) and to actually become integral to the game through game-changing physics, similar to the effect surround audio had on gaming making it completely game changing.

I don't care who brings it to me, as long as someone finally does something more than debris physics. There's little out there now from anyone that improves much on what was in HL2 let alone Crysis other than to add more visual effects not real physics effects.

3D is different in that that's where people have been going for a long time and everyone is on board even Hollywood, so you'll see people get there eventually once they can afford the proper monitor and glasses setup.

While I think 3D is better suited towards games I think the motivating factor will be 3D movies to make people come to that tipping point of investing in hardware.

AMW1011

Distinguished

I would have to say, sounds like PhysX...

OH NO WAIT!!! THEY HAVE THAT ONE GAME WHERE PAPER FLIES AROUND!!!

Yeah, but really...