Sign in with
Your question

Audio, front panel.

Last response: in Systems
March 4, 2010 11:08:05 AM

Hi guys. I have a problem. http://yfrog.com/jq24879079p
See the picture, now the left part of it shows my MB connector.
And the left one is the front panel connector. Till now I had no such wire to connect those two, and have sound in the front audio panel.
Recently I have found a wire, on both ends it has the same configuration, that would fit the MB. As you can see from the picture it cannot be connected to the front panel just like that. So I wonder if any of you knows where should each of the wires on the MB go on the front panel?
I hope I haven' t :pt1cable:  confused you.
THX

More about : audio front panel

March 4, 2010 11:30:25 AM

The left connector is a front panel connector. That is where the audio goes to.

The right connector is a motherboard control connector. I don't know what it's called, but that is where the power LED, hard disk activity LED, CPU power and reset switch, and the motherboard speaker are connected to.

The two are different types of connectors, so you should not try to connect them in any way. Your front panel connector should go to the socket on the left. Both sockets (The FP audio and MB connector) should be present on the motherboard, and serve different purposes.
March 4, 2010 11:53:27 AM

OK, finally a decent answer (other forums have messed me up).
Now, as I've said, the one you say is a control connector is on my front panel.
My front panel is composed of 2 USB's witch are already working, and two jacks (mic and the simple one).
Now, as I've said the USB's are connected and working. There remain only those you say are control connector.
Now, they must serve for a purpose.
Have to mention that HDD light, power ON, reset wires and the rest are already working, and are separate from this front panel.
I really want to use my front audio panel, but from what you say, those two jacks are there just to make it nicer? for there are no other connectors than those two.
Something else, if that helps.
The connector on the front panel look like this (image) http://yfrog.com/eh111111bp
If I connect the USB wire to the top of this connector, I get my USB to work.
The lower part is left unused, and the audio aren't working, so I assumed they're the audio connectors, you say it isn't. That's bad.
Can I get my jacks to work somehow, maybe a more direct way.
Any help in making them work would be appreciated.
Related resources
March 4, 2010 12:05:59 PM

I made a mistake. The connector on the right was not the "MB connector". I haven't seen it before.

Is it in front, along with the audio and USB hubs? Or is it "inside" the case, behind the USB and audio jacks?
March 4, 2010 12:13:08 PM

My USB and audio jacks are separated from the case (can be removed).
So all those pins are separated from the case, and joined to the USB+audio. If you cannot understand what it looks like I can make a picture of it later in the evening.
March 4, 2010 12:15:35 PM

I think that would be better. It might just be a USB+FP audio header combined, but I'm not sure. The FP audio and USB headers on the motherboard are separate.
March 4, 2010 12:25:00 PM

OK, later then. Thx for trying to help.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 4, 2010 4:57:31 PM

I wouldn't try to connect anything randomly. It might not hurt anything, but, I'm not certain it won't.

I guess I personally don't quite understand what you're trying to accomplish. I'm sorry, bear with me :) 

You're trying to hook up front panel audio, right? What is the model of your motherboard? Do you have the manual? The plug in http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/6662/image210x.jpg that picture looks like a Fpanel audio only. Your board should have a plug just for that, it's location is motherboard dependent. My old ASUS P5N32 had it in a nice spot right near the motherboard's header for HDD LED, POWER, and RESET, but my new Gigabyte has it almost touching the I/O shield on the opposite side of the FRONT PANEL audio. Don't ask, I don't know why.
March 5, 2010 4:06:40 AM

Your case might be special. Does the case have a special cable to connect to that connector?
!