Sign in with
Your question

HP BIOS and CPU speed

Last response: in CPUs
May 11, 2010 5:58:54 PM

I use an HP dv2700 laptop. When I run windows it recognizes that my CPU's factory speed is 1.83 GHz, which it is. The BIOS tells me that it is as well. However, when I run RealTemp at any given time, it tells me that my CPU's are running at 1 GHz. I would like to get my CPU's to run at full speed, however, for those who know about HP and BIOS opportunities, I cannot fix this problem in my BIOS. I would like to know if there is anything I can do to solve this problem, if there is any solution.

My friend had the same problem as me, however he has an ASUS motherboard, so he has so many options to actually fix the problem. He found that it was a latency issue with the CPU so he changed the latency from 5 to 9 and his problem was fixed. I, as stated, do not have these options. I might have the same problem as my friend.

Also, a second problem is that my CPU fan is absolutely retarded and does not know when to accelerate itself when the temperature reaches schorching temperatures. I would like to be able to control my fan speeds for my cpu. Is there a certain program that I can use to do this?

Thanks guys!

More about : bios cpu speed

a c 131 à CPUs
May 11, 2010 6:13:02 PM

1. There is no problem. This sticky is here for a reason:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2. I have never heard of a bios even being able to list the CPU latency, nevermind alter it. I don't even know what he means by "CPU latency".

3. As for the CPU fan, I hate to say it but with a laptop you are pretty much stuck with it. Unless there are any bios options. You can try using the program "speedfan" but on all the laptops I have tried it on, it is unable to detect the fan.
m
l
a c 104 à CPUs
a b α HP
May 11, 2010 6:38:13 PM

Run prime95 and you'll see that it is working as intended, idling, cpu uses speedstep and slows down, at full load, it will run at full speed.
m
l
Related resources
May 11, 2010 6:38:31 PM

I watch the program running as I am in a cpu intensive program, such as a game, and it is still not running as it is intended to be (which should be at full)
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
May 11, 2010 6:43:15 PM

mckinnley said:
I watch the program running as I am in a cpu intensive program, such as a game, and it is still not running as it is intended to be (which should be at full)

Some games do not need full load on the CPU. Run prime95. Prime95 will put 100% load on the CPU.

On another note, what are your CPU core temperatures in HWmonitor?
m
l
August 23, 2010 1:21:54 AM

enzo matrix said:
1. There is no problem. This sticky is here for a reason:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2. I have never heard of a bios even being able to list the CPU latency, nevermind alter it. I don't even know what he means by "CPU latency".

3. As for the CPU fan, I hate to say it but with a laptop you are pretty much stuck with it. Unless there are any bios options. You can try using the program "speedfan" but on all the laptops I have tried it on, it is unable to detect the fan.

Sounds to me it is ready to go either it is really infected also the cpu could have overheated and caused damage. I took mine apart and applied artic 5 also due to the heat proble i have the dv2712tu what does the vents look like where the fan is fan also could be going and the toshiba hdd overheat something mega. cpu latency? what does that mean?
m
l
a c 113 à CPUs
August 23, 2010 2:27:04 PM

If your laptop has the NVIDIA GeForce 8M Series GS Graphics/Video you should update the BIOS immediately.

The BIOS update (as I understand it) will bump the fan speed to a higher constant rate. The speed is not adjustable.

The reasoning behind this critical update is the GeForce 8M Series video has some serious heating problems resulting in thousands of burned up laptops.

You are one lucky dude if yours has not fried.
m
l
!