Head replacement / Swap platters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

satos

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Hello. I have an internal hard drive WD2500bevs, the heads are destroyed so I have 2 ideas (seem logical to me) and I want your opinion.

If I remove the platters and install them to a same hard drive model is it going to read my data?
If I replace the heads with new ones is it going to work? Where I can find replacement heads?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
You can't. Unless U have a clean room and robotic equipment to remove and replace without tremors that using a hand would impart. The heads are so close to the platter you can't help but scratch them on the platters. Not to mention the precision reassembly and calibration required.

Only an expensive data recovery facility can do this work.

Say bye bye to your data.

And always have a backup.

You are talking about gaps and spaces in the microns. Your hand that steady? Going to make sure no dust particles settle in the drive? If the drive is dead you can't make it any worse really so take it apart and see what happens. This is not like swapping out a car battery or putting in a new toilet paper roll.

satos

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Why? If you have the same model and everything and you know that your platters are ok, you swap platters with the donor and recover immediately. Do you think that if I give it to a professional is going to save my work?

shadow_city

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
As soon as a tiny spec of dust settles on and your drive starts spinning (at like 90 km/h or so), that dust will scratch magnetic stuff off and that magnetic stuff will do even more damage and so on...

So unless you are working in a sealed room, it is not going to work.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Interesting project you got going on here.
I think your best course would be to grab another HD that is as close to the one that you got, down to the pcb/firmware as you can.

Alot of people here, don't seem to have the experience to know what a hard drive can and can't survive.
I personally had a couple of WD drives run for a few weeks with the cover off, no problem.
There's even videos out there of people running hard drives with the covers off, grabbing the top most head and pulling it off the platter and let it snap back down and the hard drive runs like nothing happened.

Yep, lots of myths out there, good luck man.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Also, make sure the replacement heads are in good shape.
Unless they are new, check the plastic surrounding the metal head part that is in the center of the plastic. You are looking for chips, small ones, and fine black powder like build up. Use a dry QTip to clean.

hmunster123

Distinguished
May 27, 2014
I opened my hard drive, smudged the platters with my fingers, put it back together. Works. A lot of people that answer these questions seem to be

A. Data recovery employees that want to gauge you on hard drive repair

B. Don't know the answers.

My question is this, what if I swap platters that are different sizes in MB? Same size physically of course.

Mar 30, 2018

Hey hmunster123 first of all congrats not getting yourself duped by these recovery guys. I have an issue and I'm afraid the recovery police will go after me if I post my own thread :p
I'm not sure what's the problem with mine, however the head is stuck outside the platters. I was wondering, could I get a similar drive (not the exact same as I can't find one) and simply swap these two parts? Is there something else I should do, like also transplanting something on the board? (I read about that but don't know what's real and what's you-know-from-whom)
And finally, did the HD keep working a long time afterwards?

USAFRet

Titan

1. This is an ancient thread and will be closed.

2. What happened when you tried this parts swapping magic from your other thread?
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3682669/external-hdd-problem-swap-boards.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS