Sign in with
Your question

Http://www tomshardware com/forum/263765-30-hardware-reserved-memory

Last response: in Motherboards
October 25, 2010 7:51:49 AM

Hello,

Ive read a bunch of posts but it sems like i have a unique problem with the "hardware reserved memory problem..now bare with me because i dont know a lot of the technical stuff but...i have a toshiba l655d s5050 laptop with AMD athlon II. It has wondows 7 64 bit..it originally came with 3gb of ram and when i would check the ram usage in resource monitor it would show only 961mb of usable memory..the rest was hardware reserved. so them i decided to buy more of the same ram which is DDR3 so-dimm 204 pin 1066mhz pc3 8500 ram..i ended uo buying a g. skill 4gb mem stick..i put it into the slow where the 2gb stick was and moved to the 2gb stick to where the one GB stick was and then i have 4GB hardware reserved...after playing around with the memory sticks for a couple minutes..turning the computer on and off i realuized that whichever stick was in the second slot was hardware reserved...the computer is working fine now because i have the 4gb in the "good slot" and i have the 1gb stick in the "hardware reserved slot" and the 2gb stick is just sitting on my desk because i find it pointless to have it in the computer if
a b } Memory
a c 77 V Motherboard
October 27, 2010 11:16:36 AM

Send us a Screenshot of your setting in CPUZ if you don't have it download it from here.... http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
Give us the screens of Memory & SPD.
Try to take both screenshots for SPD of all the slots.....
I have a feeling it's got something to do with Dual Channel and Single Channel...
October 29, 2010 7:39:59 AM

I really appreciate your time in helping me with this!!!!!! I was worried noone was going to help! Now bear with me because i am not extremely good with computers so what is SPD?
Related resources
October 29, 2010 7:57:26 AM

ok I am having trouble getting a screen shot..i tried the F7 key but i didnt do anything but i was able to upload the informatio to the cpuid website but i can go through the tabs but i was able to copy some of the information right from the page it loaded to on the website

here it is:

AMD K10
Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (Build 7600)
CPU Arch : 1 CPU - 2 Cores - 2 Threads
CPU PSN : AMD Athlon II P320 Dual-Core Processor
CPU EXT : MMX(+), 3DNow!(+), SSE (1, 2, 3, 4A), x86-64, AMD-V
CPUID : F.6.3 / Extended : 10.6
CPU Cache : L1 : 2 x 64 / 2 x 64 KB - L2 : 2 x 512 KB
Core : (45 nm) / Stepping : DA-C3
Freq : 2096.56 MHz (199.67 * 10.5)
MB Brand : AMD Corp.
MB Model : Guam
NB : AMD 785GX rev 00
SB : AMD SB850 rev 40
GPU Type : ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series
DirectX Version : 11.0
RAM : 5120 MB DDR3 Dual Channel
RAM Speed : 532.5 MHz (3:8) @ 7-7-7-20
Slot 1 : 1024MB (8500)
Slot 1 Manufacturer : Samsung
Slot 2 : 4096MB (8500)
Slot 2 Manufacturer : G.Skill
October 29, 2010 7:59:27 AM

it does say i am in dual channel on the memory page..i know dual channel is better for speed and bandwidth but could that be the reason I am unable to use whatever is in the one slot?

both ram modules are running at the same speed -533mhz
both have the same timing and seem to be the same in every area when i look under memory.

I am so grateful to have someone helping me with this!! I have read and read and read online and i cant seem to find a fix for this....
a b } Memory
a c 77 V Motherboard
October 29, 2010 8:00:47 AM

That's a Tab on the CPUz window, it's basically serial presence detect and is used to detect the setting of RAM timings and voltages on the Mobo....
October 29, 2010 8:10:26 AM

heres some more info:

Memory page:

Channels #- Dual
DC Mode- Unganged
NB Frequency- 1595-1600MHz
DRAM frequency- 532mhz
FSB:D RAM- 3:8
CAS#Latency(CL)- 7.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# delay- 7 clocks
RAS# precharge- 7 clocks
cycle time- 20 clocks
bank cycle time- 27clocks
command rate- 1T
October 29, 2010 8:12:39 AM

alyoshka said:
That's a Tab on the CPUz window, it's basically serial presence detect and is used to detect the setting of RAM timings and voltages on the Mobo....

ok i figured it out...i wasnt sure until i downloaded the program and then saw the tab..That is a really nice little program to have to give some good information about the system!

have you found anything wrong with the data yet? Should it be in dual channel?
a b } Memory
a c 77 V Motherboard
October 29, 2010 8:43:05 AM

Yes it's dual channel so it should show both as dual channel.....
Unless one of the mem specs is different.
I'd really appreciate a screenshot.... and I don't think it's F7 but the shift PrintScreen is good.......
November 5, 2010 5:03:36 AM

alyoshka said:
Yes it's dual channel so it should show both as dual channel.....
Unless one of the mem specs is different.
I'd really appreciate a screenshot.... and I don't think it's F7 but the shift PrintScreen is good.......

i have the screen shot but i cant figure out how to get it posted to a reply on this site (tomshardware)
a b } Memory
a c 77 V Motherboard
November 5, 2010 6:06:23 AM

Upload it to any of the free pic sites and post the image code or link here.....
November 5, 2010 7:56:12 PM

alyoshka said:
Upload it to any of the free pic sites and post the image code or link here.....

November 5, 2010 7:59:04 PM

here ya go! Let me know if you need any other pics! I didnt know about the snipping tool before so I was quite confused on how to get a screen shot...My last laptop had XP and i dont think it had that option..I also have speccy if you want any screen shots of that
!