Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Opinions before I order ...

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 4, 2010 2:33:52 PM

I will try to keep this brief, for the benefit of those with ADD.

I have a 1st Gen Mac Pro w/Radeon X1900 512MB & 23" WS LCD - Now. I play predominately World of Warcraft - its playable now - but slow - and when Cataclysm hits, it will be no doubt unplayable.

I want to try nVidia's 3D Vision system. I also won't be coming into this kind of money again for at least 4 yrs - so I wanted to get something I can upgrade.

If ppl can take a look at what I have now, and offer opinions such as what I should beef up, what is overkill, what has better alternatives ... I'd appreciate it. The only component I'm not tickled pink with is the case .. but to be fair - I didn't like any case I could find except the Level10 - and I'm not paying the price for that.

Here is my component list, followed by comments:

----------------------
CPU Intel Core i7 930 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.8GHZ 8MB L3 Cache 130W 45NM Retail Box
MB Intel DX58SO Smackover LGA1366 ATX DDR3 2PCIE-16 PCI-E4 2PCI-E1 PCI eSATA 1394 SPDIF Motherboard
ADDON NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Stereoscopic 3D Shutter Glasses Kit USB
HDD Intel X25-M 80GB 34NM Postville 2.5IN SSD SATA Solid State Disk Flash Drive
MEM Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G 2GB 1X2GB DDR3-1333 NON-ECC CL9 240PIN DIMM Memory Module x 3CASE Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black Aluminum EATX Case 12X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS W/ Blue LED Fans
PSU Antec Truepower New 750W Modular Power Supply ATX Active PFC 80 Plus SLI Ready Blue 120MM PWM Fan
CPUFAN Thermaltake SpinQ Heatpipe CPU Cooler Heatsink LGA1366 AM2+ W/ 80MM 1600RPM 28DBA Fan
SOUND Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY Champion PCI-E 1X 24BIT Sound Card 7.1 Optical
GRFX EVGA E-GEFORCE GTX 285 648MHZ 1024MB 2.484GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card
MONITOR Acer GD235HZ Bid 23.6IN 3D Ready 120HZ Widescreen LCD Monitor 1920X1080 80000:1DC 2MS DVI HDMI
MOUSE Microsoft Habu Laser Gaming Mouse USB 2000 DPI BLACK/BLUE Powered by Razer
KEYBD Razer Lycosa Gaming Ultrapolling Keyboard Black USB Programmable Blue Backlight NON-SLIP Keys
OPTICAL Liteon IHOS104 4X BLU-RAY Reader BD-ROM Drive SATA Black Retail Box
OS Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition 64BIT DVD OEM
----------------------

I chose the CPU because of the LGA1366 socket. The 775 was around for a few years .. Everything I read says that the i7 1366 socket will be the new socket type for the next little bit.

I originally went with an ASUS P6T mainboard but I started reading some not-so-nice reviews on it .. and I didn't like the air flow design. I went with the Intel DX58SO because of good reviews, and the ram / sockets are all positioned properly to offer the "thermal tunnel" type air flow I desire .. Air should move in, flow freely past hot components, and out .. not reflect, and circulate inside the case.

Went with an SSD hard drive purely because of the speed. I don't plan on having more than two-three games installed at any given time .. so I am not worried about speed. I have a RAID File Server on my home network for Photos, Music, etc.. so space requirements for those are non-issue.

I selected the DDR3-1333 memory because when I checked for recommended memory, the faster DDR3 had (O.C.) next to it. I do not overclock my systems .. I'd rather get a system with a bit more horsepower and underclock it for increased stability, rather than overclock it with the occasional crash. I mean seriously.. Right now I have a Dual Processor Xeon with 8GB of ECC memory .. I love stability. I went with 6GB just because the cost to get more is negligible and windows 7 no doubt would be happier with more than 2GB.

Lian-Li's cases are some of the few simple/innovative, yet functional, types that I like... this case was listed on nVidia's site as being SLI certified.. and the case layout and fan design supports back-to-front thermal tunneling air flow.

PSU. I have had good experience, with past PC builds, with Antec. (should be noted that my last PC build was an AMD Athlon XP system .. switched to Mac after that .. so its been awhile). I originally put down a 1000W power supply .. but I was reading other people's posts on this site that said that's overkill for a single GTX 285 ... So I bumped it down to a 750W. It has 4x12v Rails too .. I have no idea what a rail is .. nor why I'd need four of them .. but having 2 or more was also indicated on this site as being 'good'.

I chose the CPU fan because the fan is a back-to-front design, as opposed to a radiating design. I want to interfere with internal case airflow as little as possible on this build .. so this heatsink / fan seemed like the perfect choice.

I went with Soundblaster mostly because I always put a soundblaster into my systems... I have a pair of Tritton AXPro headphones .. with an Optical connection between the computer and its Dolby Processor .. probably this card would complement that quite nicely. I also like the front controls on this SB.

The Graphics card is the only component that I didn't compromise on for price. In my experience, it is the graphics card that is going to make/break games more than any other component ... and since I won't be doing any hefty upgrades for at least 4 years .. I consider going with the top notch one my best strategy. I originally wanted to get a GTX 295 - but I couldn't source one. I'm not all that clear on what the difference is between these cards - I read that some of them have a higher number, but are really two or more lesser GPUs on the same card... No actual feature improvement on-chip. I picked EVGA because review after review I checked (except for one guy that was clearly an idiot) had nothing but raving good reviews of the card and the company. I have gone ATI for all my cards in the past .. and this time I will be going nVidia - I know the current ATIs are better .. but that's just what I want.

Monitor .. I have a 22" .. I really wanted to go up to a 27" ... or at least a 24" .. but there are no available 24" 120Hz LCD Monitors on the market right now. I originally was going to jump on the Acer GD245HQ .. but that is clearly unavailable at the moment. My choices boiled down to a Samsung, Viewsonic, or the Acer. I've had both Samsung and Viewsonic LCDs before .. albeit early LCD models .. the Samsung was not bright .. so I got a Viewsonic vp191 .. and it had horrible response time .. I know things have improved over time .. but I figured I'd go with Acer this time .. I liked the red base too :p 

Keyboard / Mouse - Just picked some things I thought I'd like. Right now I use the full-size Apple keyboard with a Microsoft Intellimouse 5-button Optical. If I could still buy those original Intellimice I would .. I love them ..but alas .. My buttons are failing on mine after 5 years of Warcraft mashing ... so I think I should get a new one. I use all 5 buttons when playing too - so I figured I should get a good gaming mouse. I am NOT a fan of the big fancy over-sized gaming keyboards .. I want a plain ole 104 Key keyboard with the keys all in the proper spots. This keyboard looked nice .. resembled what I'm after .. and has a few extra features that I can ease into ..

Optical - I have DVD Burners, Readers / Writers throughout my house on all my other computers - not too worried about burning capability on this computer. What I am worried about is Blu-Ray capability. I want to be able to watch Blu-Ray movies .. and when they start pumping out 3D BluRay movies .. I want to be able to get first-peeks using my setup.

Went with Windows 7 because its latest and its not Vista. Do not want XP. went with Pro over Ultimate because I don't need all the extra settings.


I look forward to people's opinions and suggestions. I ask that you keep in mind my needs. I am a Warcraft Player that wants to be comfortably playable still in four years .. not much more. Thanks.





More about : opinions order

March 4, 2010 2:49:19 PM

yesurbius said:
I will try to keep this brief, for the benefit of those with ADD.

I have a 1st Gen Mac Pro w/Radeon X1900 512MB & 23" WS LCD - Now. I play predominately World of Warcraft - its playable now - but slow - and when Cataclysm hits, it will be no doubt unplayable.

I want to try nVidia's 3D Vision system. I also won't be coming into this kind of money again for at least 4 yrs - so I wanted to get something I can upgrade.

If ppl can take a look at what I have now, and offer opinions such as what I should beef up, what is overkill, what has better alternatives ... I'd appreciate it. The only component I'm not tickled pink with is the case .. but to be fair - I didn't like any case I could find except the Level10 - and I'm not paying the price for that.

Here is my component list, followed by comments:

----------------------
CPU Intel Core i7 930 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.8GHZ 8MB L3 Cache 130W 45NM Retail Box
MB Intel DX58SO Smackover LGA1366 ATX DDR3 2PCIE-16 PCI-E4 2PCI-E1 PCI eSATA 1394 SPDIF Motherboard
ADDON NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Stereoscopic 3D Shutter Glasses Kit USB
HDD Intel X25-M 80GB 34NM Postville 2.5IN SSD SATA Solid State Disk Flash Drive
MEM Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G 2GB 1X2GB DDR3-1333 NON-ECC CL9 240PIN DIMM Memory Module x 3CASE Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black Aluminum EATX Case 12X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS W/ Blue LED Fans
PSU Antec Truepower New 750W Modular Power Supply ATX Active PFC 80 Plus SLI Ready Blue 120MM PWM Fan
CPUFAN Thermaltake SpinQ Heatpipe CPU Cooler Heatsink LGA1366 AM2+ W/ 80MM 1600RPM 28DBA Fan
SOUND Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY Champion PCI-E 1X 24BIT Sound Card 7.1 Optical
GRFX EVGA E-GEFORCE GTX 285 648MHZ 1024MB 2.484GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card
MONITOR Acer GD235HZ Bid 23.6IN 3D Ready 120HZ Widescreen LCD Monitor 1920X1080 80000:1DC 2MS DVI HDMI
MOUSE Microsoft Habu Laser Gaming Mouse USB 2000 DPI BLACK/BLUE Powered by Razer
KEYBD Razer Lycosa Gaming Ultrapolling Keyboard Black USB Programmable Blue Backlight NON-SLIP Keys
OPTICAL Liteon IHOS104 4X BLU-RAY Reader BD-ROM Drive SATA Black Retail Box
OS Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition 64BIT DVD OEM
----------------------

I chose the CPU because of the LGA1366 socket. The 775 was around for a few years .. Everything I read says that the i7 1366 socket will be the new socket type for the next little bit.

I originally went with an ASUS P6T mainboard but I started reading some not-so-nice reviews on it .. and I didn't like the air flow design. I went with the Intel DX58SO because of good reviews, and the ram / sockets are all positioned properly to offer the "thermal tunnel" type air flow I desire .. Air should move in, flow freely past hot components, and out .. not reflect, and circulate inside the case.

Went with an SSD hard drive purely because of the speed. I don't plan on having more than two-three games installed at any given time .. so I am not worried about speed. I have a RAID File Server on my home network for Photos, Music, etc.. so space requirements for those are non-issue.

I selected the DDR3-1333 memory because when I checked for recommended memory, the faster DDR3 had (O.C.) next to it. I do not overclock my systems .. I'd rather get a system with a bit more horsepower and underclock it for increased stability, rather than overclock it with the occasional crash. I mean seriously.. Right now I have a Dual Processor Xeon with 8GB of ECC memory .. I love stability. I went with 6GB just because the cost to get more is negligible and windows 7 no doubt would be happier with more than 2GB.

Lian-Li's cases are some of the few simple/innovative, yet functional, types that I like... this case was listed on nVidia's site as being SLI certified.. and the case layout and fan design supports back-to-front thermal tunneling air flow.

PSU. I have had good experience, with past PC builds, with Antec. (should be noted that my last PC build was an AMD Athlon XP system .. switched to Mac after that .. so its been awhile). I originally put down a 1000W power supply .. but I was reading other people's posts on this site that said that's overkill for a single GTX 285 ... So I bumped it down to a 750W. It has 4x12v Rails too .. I have no idea what a rail is .. nor why I'd need four of them .. but having 2 or more was also indicated on this site as being 'good'.

I chose the CPU fan because the fan is a back-to-front design, as opposed to a radiating design. I want to interfere with internal case airflow as little as possible on this build .. so this heatsink / fan seemed like the perfect choice.

I went with Soundblaster mostly because I always put a soundblaster into my systems... I have a pair of Tritton AXPro headphones .. with an Optical connection between the computer and its Dolby Processor .. probably this card would complement that quite nicely. I also like the front controls on this SB.

The Graphics card is the only component that I didn't compromise on for price. In my experience, it is the graphics card that is going to make/break games more than any other component ... and since I won't be doing any hefty upgrades for at least 4 years .. I consider going with the top notch one my best strategy. I originally wanted to get a GTX 295 - but I couldn't source one. I'm not all that clear on what the difference is between these cards - I read that some of them have a higher number, but are really two or more lesser GPUs on the same card... No actual feature improvement on-chip. I picked EVGA because review after review I checked (except for one guy that was clearly an idiot) had nothing but raving good reviews of the card and the company.

Monitor .. I have a 22" .. I really wanted to go up to a 27" ... or at least a 24" .. but there are no available 24" 120Hz LCD Monitors on the market right now. I originally was going to jump on the Acer GD245HQ .. but that is clearly unavailable at the moment. My choices boiled down to a Samsung, Viewsonic, or the Acer. I've had both Samsung and Viewsonic LCDs before .. albeit early LCD models .. the Samsung was not bright .. so I got a Viewsonic vp191 .. and it had horrible response time .. I know things have improved over time .. but I figured I'd go with Acer this time .. I liked the red base too :p 

Keyboard / Mouse - Just picked some things I thought I'd like. Right now I use the full-size Apple keyboard with a Microsoft Intellimouse 5-button Optical. If I could still buy those original Intellimice I would .. I love them ..but alas .. My buttons are failing on mine after 5 years of Warcraft mashing ... so I think I should get a new one. I use all 5 buttons when playing too - so I figured I should get a good gaming mouse. I am NOT a fan of the big fancy over-sized gaming keyboards .. I want a plain ole 104 Key keyboard with the keys all in the proper spots. This keyboard looked nice .. resembled what I'm after .. and has a few extra features that I can ease into ..

Optical - I have DVD Burners, Readers / Writers throughout my house on all my other computers - not too worried about burning capability on this computer. What I am worried about is Blu-Ray capability. I want to be able to watch Blu-Ray movies .. and when they start pumping out 3D BluRay movies .. I want to be able to get first-peeks using my setup.

Went with Windows 7 because its latest and its not Vista. Do not want XP. went with Pro over Ultimate because I don't need all the extra settings.


I look forward to people's opinions and suggestions. I ask that you keep in mind my needs. I am a Warcraft Player that wants to be comfortably playable still in four years .. not much more. Thanks.


CPU Intel Core i7 930 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.8GHZ 8MB L3 Cache 130W 45NM Retail Box
MB Intel DX58SO Smackover LGA1366 ATX DDR3 2PCIE-16 PCI-E4 2PCI-E1 PCI eSATA 1394 SPDIF Motherboard this aint too good look into the gigabyte GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
ADDON NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Stereoscopic 3D Shutter Glasses Kit USB
HDD Intel X25-M 80GB 34NM Postville 2.5IN SSD SATA Solid State Disk Flash Drive
MEM Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G 2GB 1X2GB DDR3-1333 NON-ECC CL9 240PIN DIMM Memory Module x 3CASE Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black Aluminum EATX Case 12X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS W/ Blue LED Fans
PSU Antec Truepower New 750W Modular Power Supply ATX Active PFC 80 Plus SLI Ready Blue 120MM PWM Fan
CPUFAN Thermaltake SpinQ Heatpipe CPU Cooler Heatsink LGA1366 AM2+ W/ 80MM 1600RPM 28DBA Fancooler master hyper 212+ performs better and is cheaper
SOUND Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY Champion PCI-E 1X 24BIT Sound Card 7.1 Optical
GRFX EVGA E-GEFORCE GTX 285 648MHZ 1024MB 2.484GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Cardin 4 yrs dx10 will be dead look into an ati 5850/5870 they both outperform a gtx 285 or wait till 26 march for the new nvidia cards
MONITOR Acer GD235HZ Bid 23.6IN 3D Ready 120HZ Widescreen LCD Monitor 1920X1080 80000:1DC 2MS DVI HDMI
MOUSE Microsoft Habu Laser Gaming Mouse USB 2000 DPI BLACK/BLUE Powered by Razer
KEYBD Razer Lycosa Gaming Ultrapolling Keyboard Black USB Programmable Blue Backlight NON-SLIP Keys
OPTICAL Liteon IHOS104 4X BLU-RAY Reader BD-ROM Drive SATA Black Retail Box
OS Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition 64BIT DVD OEM
March 4, 2010 3:04:42 PM

Thanks for replying - I appreciate your comments.

obsidian86 said:

MB Intel DX58SO Smackover LGA1366 ATX DDR3 2PCIE-16 PCI-E4 2PCI-E1 PCI eSATA 1394 SPDIF Motherboard this aint too good look into the gigabyte GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0

Gigabyte has left a very bad taste in my mouth twice in the past .. as a result I won't ever be buying another Gigabyte board. You say that the Intel is not too good. Can you elaborate as to why? All of the reviews / opinions I checked were solidly positive for this board.

obsidian86 said:

CPUFAN Thermaltake SpinQ Heatpipe CPU Cooler Heatsink LGA1366 AM2+ W/ 80MM 1600RPM 28DBA Fancooler master hyper 212+ performs better and is cheaper

Airflow is to back to front design... I Like! Thanks.

obsidian86 said:

GRFX EVGA E-GEFORCE GTX 285 648MHZ 1024MB 2.484GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Cardin 4 yrs dx10 will be dead look into an ati 5850/5870 they both outperform a gtx 285 or wait till 26 march for the new nvidia cards


You reminded me of something I left out of my original message - I edited it to reflect. I've gone ATI in the past .. I liked ATI ... but I want to switch to nVidia. Who is #1 is constantly changing back and forth... I get that. nVidia's new card in March will probably trump anything ATI has to offer.

I thought about waiting until the end of March .. I think you are referring to their new Fermi based cards that are coming out. The thing I realized is that their GTX295s were out some months ago, yet I cannot source one now. So while the new cards may be out in March .. they probably won't be sourceable until Q3 / Q4 2010 at the earliest. That's nearly 1 of the 4 years already.

As far as DX .. you are right .. I'm guessing Cataclysm will probably be developed for DX10 and updated to DX11 features in the future. Your logic is sound .. Go with an available Dx11 card .. even if its an ATI .. but I'm kinda dead set on nVidia for some reason this time .. probably because I've never gone with nVidia - and I find a lot of games that are developed to work with nVidia .. If I recall, nVidia is Blizzard's preferred card too.
Related resources
March 4, 2010 3:12:49 PM

I certainly don't know as much as some of these other guys, but if you wait for Fermi to be released, it will probably effect the prices of the other nVidia cards to save you a bit of money.
March 4, 2010 3:15:20 PM

On the Gigabyte: I agree that Intel doesn't make good boards. Also, the Gigabyte obsidian is referencing is much, much more future proof. I would get over the brand bias. Or get the Asus P6X58D Premium.

On the GPU: Definitely don't get nVidia right now. I wouldn't switch just because you want to. Stick with ATI and get better performance, lower heat, higher efficiency, and better just about everything. As for the Fermis coming out, all the early indications show that nVidia had to massively overclock the cards to match the 5xxx series. The cards are shown to run very hot. So hot that nVidia teamed with Thermaltake to make specialized cases for multi-card solutions.

Right now is the worst possible time to buy nVidia. If you insist on getting their GPUs, you WILL be buying an inferior machine.
March 4, 2010 3:20:29 PM

most of the nvidia cards are out of production in anticipation of the new ones thats why you cant find them
March 4, 2010 3:27:04 PM

If you're set on 3D Vision, you have to go with nVidia.

If you wait until Fermi is out, you can either choose to dump a bunch of money on one of those cards and be 3D Vision compatible, or you can buy a DX10 nVidia card that will hopefully have dropped at least a little bit in price.

Alternatively, if you're set on buying right now, you could get any DX10 or DX11 mid-range card (say $100-$150), hope that it lasts you 6-months-ish, until the effect of Fermi on the market has settled things down.

I honestly don't think 3D Vision is going to be worth it for a little while yet and that you'd be safe waiting. But I also hate recommending spending $100+ on something you're basically going to throw away eventually.
March 4, 2010 4:49:46 PM

MadAdmiral said:
On the Gigabyte: I agree that Intel doesn't make good boards. Also, the Gigabyte obsidian is referencing is much, much more future proof. I would get over the brand bias. Or get the Asus P6X58D Premium.
The Gigabyte board would have to seem to me as a perfect board in every way for me to get over the brand bias. Besides - that Gigabyte board has the memory perpendicular to the expansion slots .. I don't want that - I want a parallel design for single-pass air flow cooling. As I wrote earlier, Asus is top notch in my books. I had selected the P6T but the negative reviews combined with the fact that none of the Asus Intel boards had their ram positioned parallel to the expansion cards, caused me to shy away from the brand this time around.

What about any of the following? How do they rank?

Supermicro X8SAX-O ATX LGA1366 DDR3 2PCI-EX 1PCI SATA RAID Sound 2GBLAN Motherboard
Tyan S7002G2NR-LE Dual Xeon LGA1366 DDR3 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E8 SATA2 Video Dual GBLAN RAID Motherboard
w/ Intel Xeon E5504 Quad Core 2.0GHZ LGA1366 4MB 4.8GT/SEC Nehalem Retail Processor

MadAdmiral said:
On the GPU: Definitely don't get nVidia right now. I wouldn't switch just because you want to. Stick with ATI and get better performance, lower heat, higher efficiency, and better just about everything. As for the Fermis coming out, all the early indications show that nVidia had to massively overclock the cards to match the 5xxx series. The cards are shown to run very hot. So hot that nVidia teamed with Thermaltake to make specialized cases for multi-card solutions. Right now is the worst possible time to buy nVidia. If you insist on getting their GPUs, you WILL be buying an inferior machine.
coldsleep said:
If you're set on 3D Vision, you have to go with nVidia. If you wait until Fermi is out, you can either choose to dump a bunch of money on one of those cards and be 3D Vision compatible, or you can buy a DX10 nVidia card that will hopefully have dropped at least a little bit in price. Alternatively, if you're set on buying right now, you could get any DX10 or DX11 mid-range card (say $100-$150), hope that it lasts you 6-months-ish, until the effect of Fermi on the market has settled things down.


I definitely want to go the 3D Vision - that's my whole reason for starting down this path. Everything I've heard of it sounds great... and I look forward to being able to run a 3D BluRay when they start coming out.

So maybe the best option is to get a card that's only going to be good for the short term .. and make my video card my first upgrade option.

How is this card? its 1/3 of the price of the other.
ASUS GeForce GTS 250 Dark Knight 1GB DDR3 PCI-E Video Card
coldsleep said:
I honestly don't think 3D Vision is going to be worth it for a little while yet and that you'd be safe waiting.
I've got a wife and three kids ... If I don't buy most of what I need now, the money will be re-appropriated and I will end up with nothing ... that's why I'm afraid of waiting .. its not impatience. I looked into the 3D vision technology ... and from a technological aspect .. I think this is pretty much going to be how all TVs and Computers will work. In order to use Linear Polarization or Circular Polarization techniques (such as RealD) .. you will need a projection system with a silver screen - plus you will have to do a lot of tweaking with positioning and light diffusion management. I don't think that'll be the consumer option - nVidia's offering sounds like it will be the simplest and most cost effective way of implementing stereographic displays .. separate shutters in each lense ..
March 4, 2010 4:56:48 PM

actually the ps3 will be fully 3d capable before yr end
March 4, 2010 5:01:52 PM

I still wouldn't touch nVidia's current GPUs. Look at the HD 5770...

As for the boards, I'd stick to a desktop board for sure.

As for the direction of the RAM slots, it won't make any difference. The airflow in a good case will not be distrupted by that. Keep in mind that the way the case fans are placed they create an airflow current. If the air hits something and gets redirected, the fans will continue to draw it in the right direction. You might have a problem in a case with one small fan, but in a decent case there will be no issues.

What about the Asus Rampage II GENE?
March 4, 2010 5:11:54 PM

rampage III is imminent
March 4, 2010 5:25:47 PM

Okay - clearly I have some heavy thinking to do ..

What about the other components? Is my Power Supply too excessive for a GTX285? What if I opt for another nVidia Card like the GTS250? What if I switch to a Radeon .. would that powersupply be sufficient? is it overkill?

What about the 1333Mhz ram? Should I go faster, or was I right to no get the OC ram thus making the system run better. Should I look into ECC? Keep in mind I'm coming off a Mac Pro - it NEVER crashes. My friend just bought a mid range i5/ATI solution and his game is crashing left right and center . if that starts happening to me it would break my heart.

Lets say I drop the whole 3D notion .. If I did that then I'd want to go with a dual or triple display solution .. What video card / Motherboard / Monitor combo would you suggest for that? If at all possible I'd like to get seamless or near-seamless displays - I hate the bezel in the middle.

Any other ideas?

Although I am a rather fixated person - I am trying to be flexible and open minded - I am not ignoring your views .. I am taking them to heart quite seriously .. I did ask for your opinions and I'm glad you are offering them.
March 4, 2010 5:28:57 PM

You're PSU is fine. 750W is actually fine for everything except maybe Crossfire 5970s at this point.

The RAM is fine. Just make sure to check the settings in BIOS to avoid problems.

Any 5xxx series card can do Eyefinity (3-6 monitors). The 5970 is the one I'd lean towards for gaming. Any motherboard would be fine for the setup. The exact monitor doesn't really matter. Just make sure to get ones that are the same size and resolution, or else you'll need to have a program "fix" the display to make it look right. As for the bezel, I can't think of any monitors that don't have an edge, and a quick look on Newegg didn't find any either. So you might just be out of luck on that.
March 4, 2010 10:07:43 PM

So I think I have everything pretty much figured out except the Motherboard. That's still up in the air.

CPU Intel Core i7 930 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.8GHZ 8MB L3 Cache 130W 45NM Retail Box
MB Intel DX58SO Smackover LGA1366 ATX DDR3 2PCIE-16 PCI-E4 2PCI-E1 PCI eSATA 1394 SPDIF Motherboard
ADDON NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Stereoscopic 3D Shutter Glasses Kit USB
HDD Intel X25-M 80GB 34NM Postville 2.5IN SSD SATA Solid State Disk Flash Drive
MEM Corsair 6GB DOMINATOR PC3-12800 Triple Channel DDR3 Kit (3 x 2GB) w/ Intel XMP
CASE Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black Aluminum EATX Case 12X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS W/ Blue LED Fans
PSU Antec Truepower New 750W Modular Power Supply ATX Active PFC 80 Plus SLI Ready Blue 120MM PWM Fan
CPUFAN Noctua NH-U12P SE2 LGA775/1156/1366 AM2/AM3 I7/I5/PHENOM Heatpipe Cooler W/ 2XNH-P12 120MM Fans
SOUND Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY Champion PCI-E 1X 24BIT Sound Card 7.1 Optical
GRFX EVGA E-GEFORCE GTS 250 675MHZ 512MB 1.8GHZ DDR3 PCI-E HDMI DVI-I VGA Video Card
MONITOR Acer GD235HZ Bid 23.6IN 3D Ready 120HZ Widescreen LCD Monitor 1920X1080 80000:1DC 2MS DVI HDMI
MOUSE Microsoft Habu Laser Gaming Mouse USB 2000 DPI BLACK/BLUE Powered by Razer
KEYB Razer Lycosa Gaming Ultrapolling Keyboard Black USB Programmable Blue Backlight NON-SLIP Keys
OPTICAL Liteon IHOS104 4X BLU-RAY Reader BD-ROM Drive SATA Black Retail Box
OS Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition 64BIT DVD OEM

Basically going to go with the GTS 250 ... wait for the Fermi. I have three year old Dell CADD Workstation I got from work .. and to my surprise it had a 16 Lane PCI-E slot .. so I can move the GTS 250 over to that machine once the Fermi comes out.

I posted some inquiries on nVidia's 3D Vision forum and the response I got regarding the 3D Vision is that I have to try it to understand it .. but its phenomenal... I'm excited .. have to try it.

The only thing suggested to me was that I upgrade the power supply to a higher wattage to accommodate the Fermi when I get it.

Thanks for the info ..
!