• Processors
  • Motherboards
  • Phenom
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
March 4, 2010 2:42:27 PM

Hello,
I am looking to update my 5 y/o system. I am looking for the best motherboard for the AMD Phenom II x4 965 processor.

More about : build

a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2010 2:44:29 PM

gigabyte 890fx or gx
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2010 3:33:47 PM

Rated by the incompentent morons that leave Newegg reviews. So you're essentially basing a huge choice on a poll of monkeys...

I would consider the 890FX boards, but they're not available yet and are untested. If you need a board right now, I would get the GA-790XTA-UD4 or the GA-770TA-UD3, depending on if you need Crossfire or not.
m
l
March 4, 2010 3:37:39 PM

You seem to have an extremely high self opinion .. some very strong opinions, too. You not only push your preferences, but dis just about anyone who disagrees.

Darned good thing you are always right ! ! !

= salute =
m
l
a c 89 V Motherboard
March 4, 2010 3:39:30 PM

MadAdmiral said:
Rated by the incompentent morons that leave Newegg reviews. So you're essentially basing a huge choice on a poll of monkeys...

Amen to that! You can put VERY little weight behind Newegg reviews. I don't even want to know the percentage of RMA's they receive that are for perfectly functioning hardware that somebody just couldn't figure out how to use.
m
l
March 4, 2010 3:52:04 PM

I find the reviews to be invaluable and often accurate, at least if you start with "show worst reviews first".

If 20 people are saying the same thing: This thing is really loud ! ... This card is too long for my case ! .... The included drivers/sw totally suck ! .... Trouble with Vista ... etc. ! Truly useful feedback that saved my ares many times.

Also, it is fairly easy to separate the clowns from the "real men".

You (two) forget that the "moron morass" is who is buying this stuff, too.

Finally (or maybe not), if only a dozen of 500+ "morons" have major issues with a product, I take that as very re-assuring ....

I know better to argue with dudes that are never (EVER) wrong, even on matters of style and prefernce, but I have found you both to be SO RIGHT and SO OFTEN, that I will humbly defer.

Besides, when I start building my rig, in earnest, I am very much hoping to glean your opinions.

= Bonzo =

m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2010 4:05:36 PM

I stand corrected. I couldn't find them earlier. I was acutally just coming back to say the 890s are out...

EDIT: My untested still rings true though. I know Tom's reviewed them, but those reviews are essentially just comparing the specs. I'd like to see some/more stability, longevity and torture testing done on them before I start recommending them without question...
m
l
March 5, 2010 8:26:50 AM

In my current system, I have an Asus mobo and have not had a lick of trouble with it. It has run steady and solid since I built my system about 5 years ago. I was thinking of staying with Asus because I like the layout of the board and the connections on the board both internally and externally. I have looked at the M4A785TD-V EVO but then again, that was before the 890/sb850 boards came out so now I will have to try to find unbiased reviews of the Asus M4A89GTD PRO. I have also recently started considering the Gigabyte motherboards. Any further help/reviews would be greatly appreciated.
m
l
March 5, 2010 12:38:17 PM

looked yesterday the only 890 board that was out was the gigabyte have not checked yet today to see if the MSI or the ASUS is out yet.

And Yes MSI will finally have u3s6 on a board... :D 
m
l
March 5, 2010 8:01:56 PM

MadAdmiral said:

I'd like to see some/more stability, longevity and torture testing done on them before I start recommending them without question...

+1

90 days of "street burn" is a dandy idea ...allows time for at least one critical BIOS update. Allows time for reports to aggregate.

True for SW (OS) too.

= Al =

m
l
!