Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Prime95 reports Worker 4 not running then BSODs(x4 955 OCed to 3.8ghz)

Last response: in CPUs
May 11, 2010 7:50:45 PM

ok so i just discovered the OC Genie switch on my new rebuilt PC and turned it on to give a 20% juice boost and from 3.2 i shot up to 3.8 and everything was as stable as can be but then when i ran Prime95 it shows Worker 4 was not running so i was worried something was wrong with my PC but CPUID and CPUHW along with Core Temp and Windows Task manager showed Core for to be active and working then i BSOD and i turned off the switch to revert back to 3.2ghz and ran Prime95 again and everything was fone Wroker 4 was running

now considering this is the OC Geinie switch is it possible that the VID was not tweaked and that not enough power was getting to Worker 4?

would appreciate the input
May 14, 2010 8:17:44 PM

i really need a response about this, anyone?
m
l
May 14, 2010 8:53:43 PM

yeah sorry i did mean core 4 but prime 95 does specify cores as workers
m
l
Related resources
May 14, 2010 8:54:48 PM

Response.

I don't know what Worker 4 is unless you are referring to Core 4. You are overclocking, setting system parameters outside those specified by the manufacturer. Weird things are going to happen, some good, some not. When you don't overclock weird things stop happening. If you don't like not being able to explain the weird things either dial the overclock back a notch or stop it all together until you gather the information you need to be able to explain them.
m
l
May 14, 2010 9:09:17 PM

Ah, that would explain it. I prefer OCCT.

Yeah I had to re-lock my 4th core just to get the CPU-Z thing for my sig, (early adopter), it's not unusual for things to read strange when overclocked. You have to check with different tools. If everything shows you are running the way you want except Prime 95, I'd go for it.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
May 15, 2010 5:06:24 AM

What voltage does your cpu use at 3.8Ghz? It's possible it doesn't supply enough voltage so it isn't fully stable, this would cause the bsod. It is possibe you got a bum chip that just doesn't want to clock that high, but that isn't too likely on a 955.
m
l
May 15, 2010 5:27:05 AM

its fine doing everything else, its just weird that this happens in prime95, i also suspect the insufficiency of the voltage s the cause because running it in prime95 normal 3.2ghz everything is fine

3.2ghz
voltage in idle is 1.025
voltage in load is 1.400

i will turn on the OC switch later to check if the MoBo made automatic adjustments to the VID at 3.8ghz
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 15, 2010 5:33:40 AM

OC Genie is hit and miss, unreliable. Best way to overclock is through the BIOS. Before you that, make sure you get a good aftermarket cooler. Are you using the stock cooler? You'll have to monitor temps.

I also have an X4 955BE that is completely stable at 3.8 Ghz. In the BIOS all you have to do is change two settings - multiplier to 19 and the cpu volatge to 1.375.

You may need to go to 1.38 on vcore but I've never had to go higher than that although the vid (set by the factory) on chip is 1.4
May 15, 2010 5:44:51 AM

hundredislandsboy said:
OC Genie is hit and miss, unreliable. Best way to overclock is through the BIOS. Before you that, make sure you get a good aftermarket cooler. Are you using the stock cooler? You'll have to monitor temps.

I also have an X4 955BE that is completely stable at 3.8 Ghz. In the BIOS all you have to do is change two settings - multiplier to 19 and the cpu volatge to 1.375.

You may need to go to 1.38 on vcore but I've never had to go higher than that although the vid (set by the factory) on chip is 1.4

im using a CoolIlt ECO ALC i got at Frys for $44 after a $20 rebate, il see if i cant tweak the BIOS on my own, this is my actual first experience with overclocking since my last system sa a Pentium 4 s478 that i never tried to OC

prime 95 at 3.2ghz gets me under 40C il see that i get when i OC to 3.8
m
l
May 22, 2010 2:34:57 AM

Best answer selected by xtian63.
m
l
!