Sign in with
Your question

What Configuration Would Be The Best?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 29, 2012 1:49:50 AM

Ok, I have an old Challenger, and I don't have enough money for a new case :??:  . I am positive I have to mod it, but I still want advice on which would be the best! :D 

Option 1:

Cut out everything on the front of the case and mount a 320 with push/pull.

Mount a super thin radiator (<35mm) on the top and cut holes for the fans on the top.

It would be pretty much up against the ram modules.

Option 2:

Mount the 320 on the front like option 1, but instead of the internal super thin 220, cut a hole for the whole radiator and have half of it with push fans on the inside, and the other half outside with the pull outside the case. I am trying to show what I'm talking about with an optical drive and some fans, but the radiator (OD) would be half inside and half outside the case.

Option 3:

Mount the 320 the same way, but instead, mount a 320 on the back of the case, through the 140 mount, but I think that it would be just one push and 3 pull :fou:  . I don't like this option too much. :/  ...again the optical drive.

More about : configuration

a c 78 K Overclocking
January 1, 2013 3:15:05 PM

I'd choose option 3 but with a lil twist to your opinions.
1| have the fans in push | pull setup and if you want with a shroud between each fan. This would mean having the rad hang off the back via spacers and you don't have the cases air mixing with the rads air way.
2| Have the fans in this orientation
fan>shroud>rad>shroud>fan.spacer.case<fan
* arrows indicative of airflow direction.
3| its the best option for netting good temps, which would complement your venture into watercooling...or is it?

the other two options would limit you in rad space and would force you to use slimmer rads, which equate to noisier fans :) 

hope these help.
January 2, 2013 8:44:39 PM

Lutfij said:
I'd choose option 3 but with a lil twist to your opinions.
1| have the fans in push | pull setup and if you want with a shroud between each fan. This would mean having the rad hang off the back via spacers and you don't have the cases air mixing with the rads air way.
2| Have the fans in this orientation
fan>shroud>rad>shroud>fan.spacer.case<fan
* arrows indicative of airflow direction.
3| its the best option for netting good temps, which would complement your venture into watercooling...or is it?

the other two options would limit you in rad space and would force you to use slimmer rads, which equate to noisier fans :) 

hope these help.

Thanks! But after thinking about it, I am going to make this a long project :)  , and spend my money on a good case as a start. Then I will start buying things as I get the money. Any good cases for under $210, that could mount a 220/320 and a 220/320 or any combination that would give me enough cooling for a gpu and cpu. Thanks! :hello: 
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 10:09:33 PM

The case labs magnum M8 is a little more than that it is about $320 but it is a well thought out case and easy to place a water loop in without needing to mode the case.
January 2, 2013 11:10:01 PM

Alright, actually I'm going to keep my case, and I made a spacer out of an old 120, I just took out the motor and blades and snapped off the supports for the middle, and whella. Just saved myself $30 on a radbox. :D  Anyways, I'm going to order the rad and the fans. (NF12's). I am stuck between a Nexxxos UT60 240 and a XSPC RX240. ANy recommendations? And yes, this is my first watercooling rig. :D  SO EXCITED.
January 3, 2013 12:17:48 AM

NZXT switch 810/ or phantom 820....

one case thats been intriguing me lately is the AZZA gen. 9000

that case is the most watercooling friendly ive seen, and is just begging for someone to do a monster build with it.....and oh yeah, its reversible

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2013 9:54:12 PM

that is a nice looking rig and a lot of time spent into it i should have my rig up in a couple of weeks so we will see if my time was time well spent or not. be glade to help out on modding question for this rig or anything else for that matter.
January 5, 2013 12:37:16 AM

Ahhh sorry, I meant a 220 UT60
January 5, 2013 12:45:02 AM

Sorry again. I meant a rx360, I kept looking at the wrong thing. I still need to find a way to mount the 220 off the back before I get it. Also, F12 vs GT?
a c 78 K Overclocking
January 5, 2013 5:28:39 AM

Radboxes can be made via nylon spacers or can be bought from e-tailers, swiftech and koolance make one too. The latter is expensive though.

The swiftech on the other hand come with 2 1/4" 6-32 screws which is shorter than you need, however with its setup, you can add the additional length in screws and not break a sweat.

I'd also suggest looking into the build logs, as they can offer great inspiration! Toolmaker was one of those old school cooling methods but his rads are amazing and cute looking.

Mr onepiece fan - might want to have a build log on toms and have it in our hall of fame i mean build log thread ! :) 

!