Sign in with
Your question

SLI GTX 285s

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 21, 2010 10:59:47 AM

Last year I bought myself a BFG NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 OCX 1GB PCIe 2.0 ( B ) with the intention of going SLI with a second card this year.

However, now I come to buy another card and I can't find them in stock anywhere (except here for £80 more than I paid last year!).

Questions:

- Why's there such little stock of these cards around at the moment? Why are they more expensive than before? Anyone know where I can get one?
- I've heard that I don't need the same brand of card for going SLI, so could I pick any other brand? (I know I need the same chipset!)
- My card is the OCX variant with 702MHz core clock, 1584MHz Shader Clock and 2664MHz Memory Data Rate. Do I need to make sure any card I get matches these speeds? Or does SLI know about this and match two cards automatically? Or would I need to overclock/underclock any card I got to match them?

Thanks.

More about : sli gtx 285s

February 21, 2010 11:36:15 AM

C3LT said:
Last year I bought myself a BFG NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 OCX 1GB PCIe 2.0 ( B ) with the intention of going SLI with a second card this year.

However, now I come to buy another card and I can't find them in stock anywhere (except here for £80 more than I paid last year!).

Questions:

- Why's there such little stock of these cards around at the moment? Why are they more expensive than before? Anyone know where I can get one?
- I've heard that I don't need the same brand of card for going SLI, so could I pick any other brand? (I know I need the same chipset!)
- My card is the OCX variant with 702MHz core clock, 1584MHz Shader Clock and 2664MHz Memory Data Rate. Do I need to make sure any card I get matches these speeds? Or does SLI know about this and match two cards automatically? Or would I need to overclock/underclock any card I got to match them?

Thanks.

-There are so few of these cards because of the new line of NV cards that are supposed to be released by the end of march, though most likely a paper launch with a few months to go before general availability. NV devotees who need a high power videocard and don't want to wait for dx11 nv cards to be available, are buying them as well.
-You do not need the same brand, correct, as long as its the same card itself.
-I am not personally experienced with differing clocks in SLI, but I imagine that both cards will run at the lowest of the speeds available, like crossfire. Manually overclocking the slower card to match the faster card may allow you to run both cards at OC levels, in theory.
Related resources
a c 171 Î Nvidia
February 21, 2010 11:42:57 AM

JofaMang said:
-I am not personally experienced with differing clocks in SLI, but I imagine that both cards will run at the lowest of the speeds available, like crossfire. Manually overclocking the slower card to match the faster card may allow you to run both cards at OC levels, in theory.

Back when I was running two different 7900GT's I found that if I ran the faster card in the primary slot then the slower card in the secondary slot had it's clocks increased slightly, not to the exact same level but the faster card was not clocked down so they were always at different speeds. Whether this has been changed by later drivers I couldn't say.
February 21, 2010 1:47:24 PM

I run EVGA GTX 275 SLI in my rig. Even though cards are the same they can run at different clocks while in SLI mode. Download EVGA precision tool, it will work with any GTX 285. While in SLI, you will be able to either set frequencies simultaneously for both cards or separately, software gives you that option.

On top of that, if you have good cooling and get lucky, you could increase your clocks even beyond 702/1584/2664 on both cards.
February 21, 2010 3:06:04 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Back when I was running two different 7900GT's I found that if I ran the faster card in the primary slot then the slower card in the secondary slot had it's clocks increased slightly, not to the exact same level but the faster card was not clocked down so they were always at different speeds. Whether this has been changed by later drivers I couldn't say.

Yes this has changed, 2 different clocked cards will be clocked down to the lowest clocked card, if you have one that clocks at 650 and another at 680, both cards will be clocked to 650.

For example I bought a stock 8800 GTS 512 and a slightly overclocked version, they only had two in stock, the overclocked version has a clock of 690 MHz, but both are at 670 MHz when SLI'd. I have them at 740 Mhz so it is a moot point.
!