How to access encrypted Samsung Secretzone file from not-external HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy517

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
Hello,

my Samsung G3 Story Station external HDD failed, so I removed the disc from casing, put in a SATA box and it works well.

The problem is that I have a Samsung Secretzone file there (*.msr) which is accessible only in the Secretzone software. It seems that the software doesn't see the SATA box as Samsung external drive, so I can't access the file.

Is there any way to copy to file to the second external drive or fool the software? W7 64bit.

Thanks for any help

scottiemedic

Distinguished
I"m guessing the software is looking for something in the controller hardware before access is granted (that's how Dell and places like that can do Windows without a CD key, but use it on a homebuilt and it doesn't automatically install without a key).

You'll likely need another Samsung casing to mount the drive in before you can access the msr file. Try ebay, find one that has a fried drive, but the enclosure is still good...

ginzuec

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Hi Andy! I have the same problem :?:
I remove the disc from the case and planned to buy an SATA Box to put it there.. but I had doubts if I could access the file .msr with the Samsung SecretZone : Fou:
Have you found any way?

andy517

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

Hello mate, I haven't made it work yet, but mainly because I haven't bought a Samsung SATA box as I was kindly advised. I'm planning on it soon : ). So buy a Samsung box, try it and let me know how it works :). In other box it works just fine, but I can't access the *.msr.

jgmaro

Honorable
May 17, 2012
I also have all my working files trapped in this *.msr file. although there is a backup there is absolutely no way of getting this out, apart from buying another samsung enclosure. Is there anyone from Samsung willing to shed some light on this??

ginzuec

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Hi again mates! I still can't get another samsung box to mount the disc. The disc it's ok 'cause I have mounted as a slave on the PC and it works! Someone already recover your files?
* Sorry for my bad english :heink:

Dec 9, 2020
I have solved it. I just put the usb controller from 1TB working case to the 4TB hdd from dead case and it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.