This seems easy, suspiciously easy...

darksparten

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
So I installed TriXX, intending to do some basic tweaking with my Sapphire 7950 OC, I thought Overclocking was very complex with voltages and multipliers, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that in TriXX at least GPU OC'ing appears to consist of moving a couple sliders around.

Am I missing something or is this really that easy, I got my 7950 to 1002MHz Core and 1503MHz Mem in about 20 seconds and after restarting the OC stayed the same, Sorry if I sound like a noob, I'm really new to this.

You may be getting CPU and GPU overclocking mixed up, even then your probably thinking of the old style of CPU overclocking through the FSB.

GPU overclocking is just as simple as moving sliders and testing if its stable. Voltage does come into it when you push the frequencies too hard, but isn't essential for a decent overclock.

Multiplier CPU overclocking is fairly simple as well unless you want to go extreme. Raise the multiplier by 1, test if its stable, rinse and repeat. Again voltage comes into it if you push too hard, increasing it will allow higher frequencies. Its only once you get to the higher clock speeds (4.6Ghz or higher) that it gets somewhat complicated.

Old sytle FSB overclocking was very complicated. Because the FSB is the link between the CPU and RAM, if you tried to raise the CPU frequency through that it also overclocked the RAM, which dont clock as far. So it was a careful balancing game between the CPU and RAM, and their respective voltages.

RiskYourBuild

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012

Hey, I bought a Sapphire 7950, what model did you get? is't the Flex? Seems like the Vapor-X cuz of memory clock..