Sign in with
Your question

Basic question about motherboard drivers

Last response: in Motherboards
October 25, 2010 5:03:42 PM

I have built my own system a couple of weeks ago. Installed windows, network device drivers and then graphics drivers, and then windows updates. Then I installed a couple of games, steam, windows live games and started playing. The computer was not running all games everytime I start the computer, sometimes I was getting the BSOD. After restarting it was telling me of .dll related problems. However these problems vanished when i switched from a dvi cable to a vga cable. Upon observing that, I decided that the problem was graphics card related and posted on the ATI forums here. Someone there suggested that the problem might be due to not installing the motherboard drivers. I did not. I don't even know what they are. The only drivers I installed were for my wireless USB device and HD 5870 graphics card. So here I am. I have some questions:

Do you guys think this vga Vs. dvi problem can be related to the mobo?

What is a motherboard driver? Is it the same thing with a BIOS update? I thought one should not update the BIOS unless he definitely needs it.

My mobo is Asus P7P55D-E PRo. I got on to their website and searched for drivers. Get on to this website http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx choose motherboards for product, lga1156 for series and P7P55D-E PRo for models. it returns a list. NOTHING on that list contains the word driver. What am I supposed to do here? How do I decide which one I need? Am I on the wrong page?

And finally, do I need to reinstall windows clean and do this mobo driver thing and then the windows updates and graphics driver? Or can I install this mobo driver now, without having to reinstall windows? Should I uninstall graphics driver first? Is there an absolute hierarchy in terms of driver installation?

Thank you for your time.

a c 435 V Motherboard
October 25, 2010 6:04:47 PM

Control panel>system>device manager>update driver; Look for any devices with a yellow or red mark next to them. This means that the driver didn't load properly from the motherboard cd. If your lan device driver is loaded, you should be able to let windows search for an updated driver. Vista and windows 7 usually will find all or most of your device drivers without the motherboard cd if they exist. But ocassionally they will misinstall one device due to a minor conflict. Then the motherboard cd comes in handy. For the new Intel onboard graphics, I had to update windows 7 to get the newest hd Intel driver. Try going to ATI's (amd's) website and use their latest software for your video card. It will ask you which version of windows you're using. Save the file to "documents" and look for the setup file, or unzip it first if it's compressed.
m
l
a c 295 V Motherboard
a b \ Driver
October 25, 2010 6:08:50 PM

Hi.

I agree, the problem could be the drivers.

The mobo drivers are specific files that help to the OS to identify what component is installede, the manufacturer of that component and the version of it.

The mobo drivers and BIOS update AREN'T the same, the drivers should be installed every time that u do a clean installation of ur OS while the BIOS update is do it when u want install a new CPU and the mobo's manufacturer needs the BIOS update for recognize the new CPU.

U can find all the drivers of ur mobo here: http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=T2FxW2fXGZQgSn2V just select the OS that u have and download the drivers.

Also I suggest to u that test the RAM with memtset86+ since sometimes that BSoD means RAM problems.
m
l
Related resources
October 25, 2010 6:22:15 PM

saint19 said:
Hi.

I agree, the problem could be the drivers.

The mobo drivers are specific files that help to the OS to identify what component is installede, the manufacturer of that component and the version of it.

The mobo drivers and BIOS update AREN'T the same, the drivers should be installed every time that u do a clean installation of ur OS while the BIOS update is do it when u want install a new CPU and the mobo's manufacturer needs the BIOS update for recognize the new CPU.

U can find all the drivers of ur mobo here: http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=T2FxW2fXGZQgSn2V just select the OS that u have and download the drivers.

Also I suggest to u that test the RAM with memtset86+ since sometimes that BSoD means RAM problems.

SO when you say download the drivers, do you mean I download the stuff under the BIOS History heading? There a lot of things there, I can not figure out which one is the drivers I have to download. All?
m
l
a c 295 V Motherboard
a b \ Driver
October 25, 2010 6:33:33 PM

No I mean that u need download the files that are listed under "LAN", "Audio" and "Chipset" the BIOS don't touch it unless that u need it for a new CPU.
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
October 25, 2010 6:39:23 PM

Leave the bios alone. Drivers simply identify and match your motherboard devices to windows.
m
l
October 25, 2010 6:46:36 PM

Ok, your help is much appreciated. I will only get the ones under LAN, Audio and Chipset. I guess I will try to use the device manager first as o1die said above and go from there.

Any comments as to if I can do this now? I have already installed the graphics driver and some games? Should I uninstall the graphics driver first?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2010 7:33:26 PM

No need to uninstall anything - if the driver is missing it will install the drivers you downloaded. If the drivers are already present it will keep the newest one.
m
l
October 27, 2010 9:25:28 PM

I installed the drivers, but crashes are still happening. I decided to run the ram tests as suggested above. I do not have a floppy or cd writer, so I used the built in Windows 7 memory check. It said I had a hardware problem. I ran the test twice to make sure and it failed both times. So I thought everything was happening because of the RAM.

Before I proceed I tested each stick on each slot of my mobo (4 tests in total) to make sure it was the rams and not the mobo. All of the tests were successful. No hardware problems were detected. I installed both RAMs again and run the test again. This time the test was pass! So after all this am I supposed to conclude that it was just some dust the first time? I am confused.

On newegg forums of my mobo I also read that reseating the cpu solves ram problems sometimes with this mobo. That did not make much sense to me as I never heard of reseating the cpu before. If there is something wrong with its seating than the system won't boot up in the first place (I think). Still I will give it a try since I don't have much else to do.

I am thinking about installing windows 7 again, then installing mobo drivers, then windows updates and then ATI drivers in this order. And do all these things while the VGA cable is attached instead of the DVI. If it won't work I think I will change the ram and get something else. Any comments would be much appreciated.

m
l
!