Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I Found a Possible Fix For the 5XXX Series!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 21, 2010 12:01:07 PM

Hey,

Just wanted to let you guys know that there about a few of the many solutions towards the 5XXX series hard - locking and Grey-Screening issues:

1. Get the Latest Drivers and windows updates: Which i think are the Cat 10.2 - 32bit: http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=vista..., 64bit : http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=vista...

2. Download a memory stress test for your card to ensure it is not a hardware issue.

3. All else fails re-install windows and fresh drivers.

4. Another option is voltage tweaking using MSI afterburner (Not advised).

5. Ensure your GPU fan is working properly, there have been a few cases of malfunctioning fans!

6. Re-Install hardware (AKA GPU).

More about : found fix 5xxx series

February 21, 2010 12:18:47 PM

Surely step one should be enough, albeit six months late. But re-installing your OS or having to resort to voltage tweaks to get a brand new card to work just seems wrong and not the sort of thing that any user should have to resort to IMHO.
February 21, 2010 1:07:09 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Surely step one should be enough, albeit six months late. But re-installing your OS or having to resort to voltage tweaks to get a brand new card to work just seems wrong and not the sort of thing that any user should have to resort to IMHO.


Hi there,

I completely agree with you and I find the entire situation to be outrageous, all i am merely trying to do is help those whom have not had their problems fixed with the newer driver versions. There are thousands of people who are still unable to use their cards to their fullest and that for me is unacceptable. I personally had to RMA my 5870 4 times before i finally managed to solve the problem. I am now completely satisfied with the card, though I think i will stick to Nvidia when i purchase my next card!

But thank you for your input anyway :) 
Related resources
February 21, 2010 8:21:29 PM

:sleep:  :sleep:  :sleep: 

This is why I never buy into the latest generation till after enough time has passed till either the known problems have been fixed or a competitors card that doesn't have the issue that is on par with performance as well price. However with my strategy puts me a generation or two behind every one at the top. Problems with the latest hardware should be expected so my response from there gets determined by how the company that produces the hardware responds. If the fixes are few and far in between while many still suffer I simply wait till the next generation comes and I will see then when to get on the bandwagon. As for this generation the problems are minor but need to be dealt with in future production as well driver updates. As for Fermi they are not going to hold up as well as the last two generations have had when it comes to issues. 280w for the 448/512 isn't a good sign knowing how most cards out there in the last decade have fared. I really hate it when power stages are running hotter than I would like I personally like them cold so that I don't have to worry while in a few cases allowed me a decent overclock.
February 21, 2010 8:37:58 PM

10.2 seems to have fixed it for me. It said it did in the release notes. Yesterday i actually got a blue screen instead of gray stripes :D  (i'm not really sure if this is good or bad news because it occured when i plugged in a mic lol)
February 21, 2010 9:37:47 PM

The mic may have "shocked" the computer. Or all the patch did was change grey screens to blue ones :D 
February 21, 2010 9:40:59 PM

the only issue I"m having is with my 3008wfp plugged into the displayport going blank ever so often.
February 21, 2010 10:41:48 PM

Excuse me, but the title is misleading. It says that there is a possible fix found ("a" which refers to one) but then you post 6 suggestions, not to mention that most of them have already been published in several sites over the months.
February 21, 2010 11:27:35 PM

What a useless post... If anyone wanted to invest - oh 5 minutes....maybe...you would see this is an ongoing issue with the 5XXX cards. The 10.2 drivers go along way to fixing it but not for everyone.

Reinstall the OS and drivers - thats just plain bad advice...

"Ensure your GPU is working properly" - wow...how on earth did you come up with that one?? What shall I do? What tool tells me that? Maybe I can just look at it and figure that part out???

"Tweak the voltage" - but dont do it. How does that help anyone??

Re-install the hardware - another waste of time...cmon man...at least try to make people think you know something....
February 25, 2010 5:03:23 PM

vvhocare5 said:
What a useless post... If anyone wanted to invest - oh 5 minutes....maybe...you would see this is an ongoing issue with the 5XXX cards. The 10.2 drivers go along way to fixing it but not for everyone.

Reinstall the OS and drivers - thats just plain bad advice...

"Ensure your GPU is working properly" - wow...how on earth did you come up with that one?? What shall I do? What tool tells me that? Maybe I can just look at it and figure that part out???

"Tweak the voltage" - but dont do it. How does that help anyone??

Re-install the hardware - another waste of time...cmon man...at least try to make people think you know something....


Hey,

Listen, as I previously stated I had to go through 4 5870's before I got one with working Video Ram. And only after a few weeks of testing on 2 different i7 965 rigs did I solve the problem by wiping windows 7 and re-installing it & a F**K load of drivers, and for your information ATI themselves released a press announcement recommending the re-installation of the OS and it's drivers. Another thing thousands of people have solved their card's problems by tweaking voltages and kept the Cat 9.12 drivers, but a hell of a lot of my personal friends have fried their cards & Mobos through voltage tweaking. All I am doing is stating a solution that worked for me so that others can use it. So before you insult my IT/PC knowledge further and put shame to my 12years of experience, visit the site of the company I work for and see how many "idiots" have been satisfied with the Rigs that this "idiot" has built for them.

Link to site: www.evetech.co.za
February 25, 2010 5:06:36 PM

vvhocare5 said:
What a useless post... If anyone wanted to invest - oh 5 minutes....maybe...you would see this is an ongoing issue with the 5XXX cards. The 10.2 drivers go along way to fixing it but not for everyone.

Reinstall the OS and drivers - thats just plain bad advice...

"Ensure your GPU is working properly" - wow...how on earth did you come up with that one?? What shall I do? What tool tells me that? Maybe I can just look at it and figure that part out???

"Tweak the voltage" - but dont do it. How does that help anyone??

Re-install the hardware - another waste of time...cmon man...at least try to make people think you know something....


Oh and for anyone who is actually interested the GPU stress test i used is called GPUST, and if you want to test your ram for blue screening issues you may want to consider using Mem-Test delux edition: Hasn't failed me once.
February 25, 2010 5:11:25 PM

So was this thread made just so you could slip in a link to your website?, because I'm still not seeing anything that here really helps as many people would have already tried your 'fixes' and either given up or RMA'd their cards anyway.
February 25, 2010 5:11:56 PM

darkguset said:
Excuse me, but the title is misleading. It says that there is a possible fix found ("a" which refers to one) but then you post 6 suggestions, not to mention that most of them have already been published in several sites over the months.


I apologize,

At least one or more of these steps have solved my clients problems so I thought i would enlighten those who were unaware of these possible solutions as the 10.2 drivers haven't solved everyone's problems. And thank you for informing me about the title in a simple, interrogative and intelligent manner.
:) 
February 25, 2010 5:18:02 PM

I had issues with my cards with prolonged usage, but ever since I lowered the clock on the memory to 1150, the problem has never occured again. Of course I also OC'ed the core to 900 (max) at the same time, so I have more than stock performance.

The other day I tried stock settings again, and after a couple hours of WoW, I did get a white screen that lasted a couple seconds, and it disapeared (no lock up). I went ahead and droped the memory back to 1150, and have not seen those stripes again.
February 25, 2010 5:18:31 PM

Mousemonkey said:
So was this thread made just so you could slip in a link to your website?, because I'm still not seeing anything that here really helps as many people would have already tried your 'fixes' and either given up or RMA'd their cards anyway.

No,

Believe me this is NOT a sales pitch or marketing scheme of any kind, my company is in fact based in South Africa so I am sure it would not be of much use to you.
I was merely trying to recommend to the previous poster that he/she refrains from insulting people left, right and center. And if these steps did not help your problem than it is most likely that your GPU Vram is faulty and your card needs to be RMAed Regardless.
February 25, 2010 5:22:01 PM

bystander said:
I had issues with my cards with prolonged usage, but ever since I lowered the clock on the memory to 1150, the problem has never occured again. Of course I also OC'ed the core to 900 (max) at the same time, so I have more than stock performance.

The other day I tried stock settings again, and after a couple hours of WoW, I did get a white screen that lasted a couple seconds, and it disapeared (no lock up). I went ahead and droped the memory back to 1150, and have not seen those stripes again.


Hey,

I have heard that dropping memory clocks can help the problem in some situations, but if you have the new 10.2 drivers you should not need to lower your clock speeds anymore :) 
February 25, 2010 5:24:16 PM

Mazorak said:
No,

Believe me this is NOT a sales pitch or marketing scheme of any kind, my company is in fact based in South Africa so I am sure it would not be of much use to you.
I was merely trying to recommend to the previous poster that he/she refrains from insulting people left, right and center. And if these steps did not help your problem than it is most likely that your GPU Vram is faulty and your card needs to be RMAed Regardless.

But don't you think that many people would not have come to that conclusion by themselves?
February 25, 2010 5:29:46 PM

Mousemonkey said:
But don't you think that many people would not have come to that conclusion by themselves?


No (again lol),

If those steps fail there are some known ram compatibility issues to do with shader cores 250-275 not functioning properly in accordance with certain allocated O/C frequencies, but for the most part one would just carelessly RMA the card. The reason I did not mention this earlier is because it is a highly unlikely error, that won't be fixed by just RMAing the card!
February 25, 2010 5:33:20 PM

I haven't used 10.2 in prolonged sessions to know if it truely fixes my problem, and it has been shown by others to not be a complete fix of the problem. I did use it for a short period of time, did some benchmarks, and came to the conclussion it hurt performance, and reverted back to 9.12 with hotfix. It performs faster, even at 1150 memory setting.
February 25, 2010 5:51:36 PM

Turned out, I had used the 10.1, not the 10.2 drivers. The 10.1 drivers were not very fast, so I ended up reverting back to 9.12. I'm downloading the latest ones now to see how they work.
February 25, 2010 6:02:58 PM

Mazorak said:
No (again lol),

If those steps fail there are some known ram compatibility issues to do with shader cores 250-275 not functioning properly in accordance with certain allocated O/C frequencies, but for the most part one would just carelessly RMA the card. The reason I did not mention this earlier is because it is a highly unlikely error, that won't be fixed by just RMAing the card!

The reason I ask is because I have been following a couple of threads on this problem and many people have already tried your 'fixes' long before you made your thread, mostly if not completely to no avail so I can't see what you are trying to say that is new and helpful and I don't seem to be the only one.
February 25, 2010 6:08:57 PM

Mousemonkey said:
The reason I ask is because I have been following a couple of threads on this problem and many people have already tried your 'fixes' long before you made your thread, mostly if not completely to no avail so I can't see what you are trying to say that is new and helpful and I don't seem to be the only one.
]http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/1876/46170277.jpg


You literally have a folder just on ati 5*** series issues, posted on the forum.

That tells me two things:

The ATI 5 series has some issues

and you take your job very seriously :lol: 
February 25, 2010 6:16:51 PM

Annisman said:
You literally have a folder just on ati 5*** series issues, posted on the forum.

That tells me two things:

The ATI 5 series has some issues

and you take your job very seriously :lol: 

:lol:  It helps dispel the FUD that the problem was only caused by a Windows update or has only been going on for a couple of weeks, which are a couple things that have been said by some of the ATi fans. As far as I can see the issue has been present since day one and may well be a hardware issue due to ATi rushing these cards out of the door without through testing just so they could win some sort of PR race which they have done but at the expense of their customers.
February 25, 2010 6:22:14 PM

My Sapphire 5870 works flawlessly, even overclocked. No gray, no black screen, absolutely zero issues.
February 25, 2010 6:28:57 PM

MARSOC_Operator said:
My Sapphire 5870 works flawlessly, even overclocked. No gray, no black screen, absolutely zero issues.

I'm happy for you, and I've never had any problems with my SLi setup but others have so what's your point?
!