Sign in with
Your question

GA-890FXA-UD5 (rev 2.0) & X6 1090T: no POST, 10 short beeps

Last response: in Motherboards
October 25, 2010 5:19:32 PM

Hi!

In June I bought the components to build a new PC.

The "core system" was a Thuban 1090T with a Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5, 2 dual-channel kit (8GB=4x2GB G.Skill DDR3 1600Mhz PC12800 ECO CL7 F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO - on motherboard's Memory Support List for 1600MHz!), a Powercolor HD 5830 PCS+ and a pair of Caviar Black "FAEX" in RAID0 (plus a Samsung HD203WI, a PCI TV card, three optical drives, a floppy, some fans, etc.)

The system ran fine until September 15th, then it didn't pass POST: the speakers do ten 'short' beeps, pause, and so on (while nothing is displayed on screen).

On the user manual, such a beep sequence is not described.

I wrote to http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw, but I didn't get useful info.

- I removed all external peripherals but keyboard (mouse, printer and so on)
- I replaced my USB keyboard with a PS/2 model
- I removed the only non-graphic card (a TV Tuner)
- I replaced my graphic card (HD5830 PCI Express) with an old S3 Virge (PCI)
- I removed all disk drives (floppy disk, hard disks, optical drives) (data and power cables)
- I temporarily reconnected some disk drives to SB850 or GSATA2 (one at a time)
- I removed all case fans (leaving CPU fan only)
- I checked CMOS battery with a digital multimeter and it seems good (2.99V)
- I replaced the original CMOS battery with a new (Duracell)
- I repeatedly cleared CMOS (both removing battery and with "CMOS_SW quick button")
- I temporarily removed keyboard also!
- I've checked PSU 5V and 12V via a digital multimeter on a peripheral Molex connector and they're OK (5.01V, 12.11V)
- I replaced the PSU (Enermax Modu87+ 600W with a Corsair CX400)

In all these circumstances, the PC did ten short beeps.

Later I removed all four DIMM (two consecutive dual channel kit: each module is numbered xxx59, xxx60, xxx61, xxx62) then I placed the last one in the first slot.
The PC did eleven short beeps!

I shut down and switched on several times, the PC always did eleven short beeps.

Then i restored the four DIMM in their sequence and the PC again did ten short beeps.

Last I removed my 1090T: it looked OK, then I reinstalled it and the Coolermaster HyperTX3 cooler (with Arcting Cooling MX-3 thermal compound). The PC again did ten short beeps.

Then I shipped my GA890FXA-UD5 to my supplier for RMA.

According to my supplier, my motherboard 890FXA-UD5 was good (tested with a Phenom II X4 955 Deneb), so I spent about fifty EUROs (including shippings) for nothing...

But when I got back my motherboard, the problems were the same, so I shipped my CPU Phenom II X6 1090T to his (another) supplier for RMA.

After three weeks, I got another new CPU (9H09173Fxxxxx instead of the old 9E83403Exxxxx), but the problems were exactly the same!

4 DIMM: 10 short beeps!
1 DIMM: 11 short beeps!
0 DIMM: 12 short beeps!

Could be that 1090T "Thuban" (6 core, Turbo) uses some "resources" (e. g. some pin) not used by an older X4 Deneb?

Id est, could be that the motherboard works with Deneb but is faulty for Thuban???

Should I do again RMA for my Gigabyte GA890FXA-UD5?

Thank you!
a c 297 V Motherboard
October 25, 2010 5:59:25 PM

If u can install another CPU and update the BIOS to the F4 version.

Also test the RAM in another mobo and test ur rig with another RAM.
m
l
October 25, 2010 7:49:47 PM

The BIOS was upgraded to F3 in June and then to F4 in August - All OK til september...

I'd seek some friends for other tests... but are there other check that I can do with my components???
m
l
a c 297 V Motherboard
October 25, 2010 7:52:36 PM

We need test all the components individually but not in ur mobo so we need test it in another rig adn test ur rig with another CPU and RAM.
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 28, 2011 1:23:25 PM

cp8086 said:
Hi!

In June I bought the components to build a new PC.

The "core system" was a Thuban 1090T with a Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5, 2 dual-channel kit (8GB=4x2GB G.Skill DDR3 1600Mhz PC12800 ECO CL7 F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO - on motherboard's Memory Support List for 1600MHz!), a Powercolor HD 5830 PCS+ and a pair of Caviar Black "FAEX" in RAID0 (plus a Samsung HD203WI, a PCI TV card, three optical drives, a floppy, some fans, etc.)

The system ran fine until September 15th, then it didn't pass POST: the speakers do ten 'short' beeps, pause, and so on (while nothing is displayed on screen).

On the user manual, such a beep sequence is not described.

I wrote to http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw, but I didn't get useful info.

- I removed all external peripherals but keyboard (mouse, printer and so on)
- I replaced my USB keyboard with a PS/2 model
- I removed the only non-graphic card (a TV Tuner)
- I replaced my graphic card (HD5830 PCI Express) with an old S3 Virge (PCI)
- I removed all disk drives (floppy disk, hard disks, optical drives) (data and power cables)
- I temporarily reconnected some disk drives to SB850 or GSATA2 (one at a time)
- I removed all case fans (leaving CPU fan only)
- I checked CMOS battery with a digital multimeter and it seems good (2.99V)
- I replaced the original CMOS battery with a new (Duracell)
- I repeatedly cleared CMOS (both removing battery and with "CMOS_SW quick button")
- I temporarily removed keyboard also!
- I've checked PSU 5V and 12V via a digital multimeter on a peripheral Molex connector and they're OK (5.01V, 12.11V)
- I replaced the PSU (Enermax Modu87+ 600W with a Corsair CX400)

In all these circumstances, the PC did ten short beeps.

Later I removed all four DIMM (two consecutive dual channel kit: each module is numbered xxx59, xxx60, xxx61, xxx62) then I placed the last one in the first slot.
The PC did eleven short beeps!

I shut down and switched on several times, the PC always did eleven short beeps.

Then i restored the four DIMM in their sequence and the PC again did ten short beeps.

Last I removed my 1090T: it looked OK, then I reinstalled it and the Coolermaster HyperTX3 cooler (with Arcting Cooling MX-3 thermal compound). The PC again did ten short beeps.

Then I shipped my GA890FXA-UD5 to my supplier for RMA.

According to my supplier, my motherboard 890FXA-UD5 was good (tested with a Phenom II X4 955 Deneb), so I spent about fifty EUROs (including shippings) for nothing...

But when I got back my motherboard, the problems were the same, so I shipped my CPU Phenom II X6 1090T to his (another) supplier for RMA.

After three weeks, I got another new CPU (9H09173Fxxxxx instead of the old 9E83403Exxxxx), but the problems were exactly the same!

4 DIMM: 10 short beeps!
1 DIMM: 11 short beeps!
0 DIMM: 12 short beeps!

Could be that 1090T "Thuban" (6 core, Turbo) uses some "resources" (e. g. some pin) not used by an older X4 Deneb?

Id est, could be that the motherboard works with Deneb but is faulty for Thuban???

Should I do again RMA for my Gigabyte GA890FXA-UD5?

Thank you!

Ok here is my story and how the case of 10 short beeps with the thuban 1090T was SOLVED:
My first build was : mobo : ASUS Crosshair IV Formula - AM3 - AMD 890FX - Republic of Gamers - ATX Motherboard , CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2 GHz 6x512 KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Processor, RAM : Corsair DOMINATOR 8 GB (4x2GB kit) PC3-10666 1333Mhz 240-Pin DDR3 Desktop Memory Kit CMD8GX3M4A1333C7 , Power Supply : Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 750 Watts 80PLUS Gold , Graphic Card : ASUS ATI Radeon HD 5870 1 GB GDDR5 SDRAM DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort Video Card.

-You should know before reading that I had no other pc to test my parts on.
-First after finishing my build I started my PC, installed Win.7 all went good for about 15min. then all went down. nothing seemed to be working, I check my cabling, traces for shorts, checked my power supply ( every single output pin ), the power cable, the case switches and wires .. But nothing.
-After about a week of tests and checks it turned out that the stinky ASUS Mobo was defective from the manufacturer, not knowing at this point that it Fried my CPU and my guess one of the RAMs or maybe it was also defective from the manufacturer (I still don't know until now), of course this is what made things more complicated .
-I returned the defective mobo, got my money back and bought the latest ASUS mobo for AMD (ASUS CROSSHAIR IV EXTREME), put everything together to find that it's not working and for a first I heard the dreaded 10 short Beeps, I tested everything except the CPU as I read in many forums that this is not a possibility ( well people, it IS ) , I got mad thinking it's the mobo again ... so , yes I returned the mobo got my money back and bought gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 .
-Set my build, started my PC only to get welcomed by 10 short beeps, at this point I realized it's not the mobo and it's something else :p , I tested all RAMs ( one by one , yes 16 times , each in every slot ) on this set, the defective one didn't show ( because the fried CPU made the 10 short beeps .. beep ) I was clueless at this point ...
-So I searched the internet day and night .. but not a clear answer was found. then I found a nice person in youtube who had the same problem and suggested that I'd be better off with a new CPU , and that’s what I did .
-I bought the same CPU ( thuban 1090T , ignoring that some have said that the gigabyte bios for my mobo does not recognize the thuban 1090T , I know.. DUHHH )
-After receiving the new CPU I Set my build ..and TADAAA .. yes ,10 short beeps . now I had 2 guesses a bad bios for the CPU or the mobo is defective . well, all that double copper wasn't for show the mobo was absolutely fine , so as to update the bios I had to find an AM3 socket AMD CPU , asked a lot of friends ( no one had any ) and the local shops ( they either didn't have a spare or some mean ones who asked for a big buck just to lend it , some even asked for more than its current worth ????? ) .
-So I've decide to ask my best friend "THE INTERNET", bought the ATHLON II X2 240 2.8GHz from ebay for about $45 ( new , I didn't want to risk it ), it was the cheapest and lowest grade of AM3 socket CPUs except for the SEMPRON ( but I didn't want to go that low ).
-Got it , set my build and TADAAA … 10 short Beeps !! what ? did I bought a defective CPU or did I purchase an unnecessary second CPU . at this point it was all dark to me … but light comes after dark , a good friend of mine came along the way and helped me with another board he had suggesting to test the RAMs first .
-After that we discovered the defective RAM, threw it... Set my build and TADAAA... IT WORKED ( using the ATHLON II X2 CPU of course ) .
-So we installed the 1090T ( the old one/the fried one ) , started the PC … 10 short Beeps , Duhhh we forgot to update the BIOS, updated the BIOS to F6 ( because my board was Rev.2.0 ) aaaaaaaaaand it didn't work , yes 10 short beeps . so at this point I was definitive that this CPU was fried , time for the final attempt , using the new 1090T CPU .
-Well you've guessed it, it worked after 4 and half months of trial & error .

I hope this helps any sad soul that had to go through this path
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 28, 2011 9:56:17 PM

a mistake I wrote , i didn't hear the 10 short beeps until i bought the gigabyte mobo .
buzzbuzz20
m
l
May 27, 2012 3:45:43 AM

Just wondering is this system still working? I was looking at the RAM you bought, apparently AMD Phenom II only supports 1333MHZ for memory speed. Installing the faster memory speed will eventually make your CPU fail (according to AMD).
m
l
!