Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sempron Based Gaming build??

Last response: in CPUs
May 11, 2010 10:38:34 PM

Quick question...

Is it possible to base a cheap gaming rig around a sempron? And if its even worth it, what's the max level GPU in order not to have any bottle necks.

2 part question I guess...

1. If the monitor rez is 1900x...

2. 1600x...
May 11, 2010 10:39:12 PM

i would say its no use at all to use a sempron, i would go no lower than an athlon II x3 :) 
m
l
May 11, 2010 10:40:12 PM

What about a basic PC for a student, for word, excel etc...

Should have added that as well.
m
l
Related resources
May 11, 2010 10:40:23 PM

If solitaire is your idea of gaming ...
m
l
May 11, 2010 10:46:53 PM

well as a basic pc it should be okay but not gaming sorry :/ 
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
May 11, 2010 11:09:58 PM

Note that the sempron does have a chance of being unlocked into a dual core.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
May 12, 2010 3:07:54 AM

The cost difference between a single core sempron and dual core Athlon II X2 is only about $20 and no modern game will run well on that sempron. Even basic tasks, your going to see a lot more slow down on your computer with a single core processor compared to a dual core.
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
May 12, 2010 3:12:51 AM

For just an internet box a sempron is fine but anything more than that at least get an Athlon II of any flavor.
m
l

Best solution

a c 131 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
May 12, 2010 3:43:17 AM

If you are on a budget, that requires the CPU to be under $50, I would assume for the graphics card you don't intend to spend much either.
It also depends on what games you play. Many are optimized for two or 3 cores. Even modern warfare 2 on my radeon 3870 can utilize 3 cores.

I did do some personal testing recently though. I have a radeon 3870, which performs better than a radeon 4670 but worse than a radeon 5670, just to give you an idea. I have an Athlon IIx4 620 overclocked to 3.25GHz. I ran a bunch of tests with different core and frequency adjustments to the CPU on modern warfare 2 on high settings at 1920x1080 with AA turned off. I got 72-74FPS with all 4 cores enabled at 3.25GHz. I used fraps for the testing. I just ran "the pit" in special ops. I'm no benchmarking pro, but I can run "the pit" consistently and under 30 seconds each time. I discarded the min/max FPS because they varied too much. But the average FPS stayed very consistent at about 73FPS each time unless the CPU started bottlenecking. So the benchmarks were for 30 seconds. With only one core enabled, the CPU started choking somewhere between 2.6GHz and 2.0GHz. At 2.0GHz, the average framerate dropped to 65FPS.
I also managed to temporarily get a hold of a GTX295. ATI cards, based on my observations from tom's "how to build a balanced gaming PC" articles, seem to need less CPU power to back them up and get equal framerates to Nvidia cards. With the exact same settings, the 4 cores 3.25GHz got between 100-110FPS. But with one core, already at 3.25GHz, the framerate choked down to 87FPS.
I haven't had the time to test different games. One I especially want to test is Dragon Age Origins since it supposedly makes major use of multiple cores. Anyway, my point is that the Sempron will be fine for you right now, just depending on the games you intend to play. But if you stick with a budget card like a 4670 or a 5670, it won't be holding you back too much in most current games. I think people still underrate the single cores. I ran an Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz overclocked to 2.6GHz and found it to be fine in windows 7 with 2GB of ram for most tasks. And it was sufficient for my radeon 3870 for a lot of games before I got my quad core. I mainly upgraded because even overclocked to 2.6GHz, it just barely still had trouble with some 1080p movies even with GPU acceleration. That was with the integrated Geforce 8200m though, not the dedicated 3870.

Edit: That link to techpowerup sempron benchmarks I am actually pretty impressed with. Considering it is paired with a radeon 4890. You can see that the 4890 is not living up to it's potential though and a waste of money when paired with only a Sempron.
May 12, 2010 12:14:42 PM

Best answer selected by puntacana1.
m
l
May 12, 2010 12:17:37 PM

enzo matrix said:
If you are on a budget, that requires the CPU to be under $50, I would assume for the graphics card you don't intend to spend much either.
It also depends on what games you play. Many are optimized for two or 3 cores. Even modern warfare 2 on my radeon 3870 can utilize 3 cores.

I did do some personal testing recently though. I have a radeon 3870, which performs better than a radeon 4670 but worse than a radeon 5670, just to give you an idea. I have an Athlon IIx4 620 overclocked to 3.25GHz. I ran a bunch of tests with different core and frequency adjustments to the CPU on modern warfare 2 on high settings at 1920x1080 with AA turned off. I got 72-74FPS with all 4 cores enabled at 3.25GHz. I used fraps for the testing. I just ran "the pit" in special ops. I'm no benchmarking pro, but I can run "the pit" consistently and under 30 seconds each time. I discarded the min/max FPS because they varied too much. But the average FPS stayed very consistent at about 73FPS each time unless the CPU started bottlenecking. So the benchmarks were for 30 seconds. With only one core enabled, the CPU started choking somewhere between 2.6GHz and 2.0GHz. At 2.0GHz, the average framerate dropped to 65FPS.
I also managed to temporarily get a hold of a GTX295. ATI cards, based on my observations from tom's "how to build a balanced gaming PC" articles, seem to need less CPU power to back them up and get equal framerates to Nvidia cards. With the exact same settings, the 4 cores 3.25GHz got between 100-110FPS. But with one core, already at 3.25GHz, the framerate choked down to 87FPS.
I haven't had the time to test different games. One I especially want to test is Dragon Age Origins since it supposedly makes major use of multiple cores. Anyway, my point is that the Sempron will be fine for you right now, just depending on the games you intend to play. But if you stick with a budget card like a 4670 or a 5670, it won't be holding you back too much in most current games. I think people still underrate the single cores. I ran an Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz overclocked to 2.6GHz and found it to be fine in windows 7 with 2GB of ram for most tasks. And it was sufficient for my radeon 3870 for a lot of games before I got my quad core. I mainly upgraded because even overclocked to 2.6GHz, it just barely still had trouble with some 1080p movies even with GPU acceleration. That was with the integrated Geforce 8200m though, not the dedicated 3870.

Edit: That link to techpowerup sempron benchmarks I am actually pretty impressed with. Considering it is paired with a radeon 4890. You can see that the 4890 is not living up to it's potential though and a waste of money when paired with only a Sempron.

Awesome answer! Thank you so much.

My goal is to market a decent gaming maching that will perform similar , hopefully better than an Xbox 360. For around $400-$450 CDN. Most of the budget would go to Mobo andGPU.

thanks again!
m
l
!