1G DDR2 PC6400 MEMORY
KILLER K1 HIGH SPEED NETWORK CARD
EVGA NVIDIA 9800GTX+ 512MB PCI-E
EVGA NVIDIA 9800GTX+ 512MB PCI-E
ASUS 780SLI P5N-T DELUXE MB
P NZXT 800 WATT POWER SUPPLY SLI
INTEL QUAD CORE Q9550 RETAIL
THERMALTAKE V1 GAMING CPU FAN

Curious if this is too hot (according to speedfan)

GPU2 - 63 degrees
GPU2 - 56 degrees
All Cores - 37 - 42 degrees
nvidia chipset 780i - 56 degrees

three other sensors i ahve no clue about
23 degrees, 33 degrees, 40 degrees

Solution
^ +1 The Temps are Nominal. I assume the 1GB RAM is for testing.

To reduce Temps:
1. Good Case: Front/In -> Back/Out + Top/Out & Side/In
2. Good Fans & Fan Controller ~ Scythe {>40 CFM & <30 dBA}
3. Case Airflow: CFM In < CFM Out {slight negative pressure + airflow}; the tests outlined in A & B should be > 3-5C.
-a. Test normal {30 minutes}
-b. Test with side-off with 'household fan' on MOBO {30 minutes}
-c. High Ambient will Render Higher Temps {optimal ~75F or ~24C}
4. Good CPU Fan
5. OC NB side in fan

NB Northbridge has a T_Max of 105C / 221F operational temp; it is always higher than expected. Similarly, GPUs when stresses run normally hotter than CPU temps. The 'key' is to stress test any new rig and monitor temps; a 'passed'...
^ +1 The Temps are Nominal. I assume the 1GB RAM is for testing.

To reduce Temps:
1. Good Case: Front/In -> Back/Out + Top/Out & Side/In
2. Good Fans & Fan Controller ~ Scythe {>40 CFM & <30 dBA}
3. Case Airflow: CFM In < CFM Out {slight negative pressure + airflow}; the tests outlined in A & B should be > 3-5C.
-a. Test normal {30 minutes}
-b. Test with side-off with 'household fan' on MOBO {30 minutes}
-c. High Ambient will Render Higher Temps {optimal ~75F or ~24C}
4. Good CPU Fan
5. OC NB side in fan

NB Northbridge has a T_Max of 105C / 221F operational temp; it is always higher than expected. Similarly, GPUs when stresses run normally hotter than CPU temps. The 'key' is to stress test any new rig and monitor temps; a 'passed' stress test is 24 hours. In addition, it is a good idea to stress ALL components including the GPU with benchmark test similar to those used by Futuremark. Prime95 only stresses the CPU, MOBO and over all cooling of those components including 'stability' of your OC settings of same.

Testing Apps:
1. Prime 95 as a "Stress Test" [overnight.]
link - http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

2. CPU-Z for Settings Summary
link - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

3. CoreTemp 0.99.X FAQ - http://www.alcpu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=892
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

4. Memtest86+ to check memory corruption
link - http://www.memtest.org/

5. MSI Afterburner
link - http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/overview.htm

Good Luck!

Solution

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
^ +1 Snipergod87: Temps well below 70C are no concern (and the chips themselves will probably run up to 80 or 90C before kicking-in thermal protection). I also don't think the OP (original poster) is getting the most from their system with only 1GB of RAM. Need at least 2GB (maybe 4GB even if Windows 32-bit wouldn't recognize all of it).

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
^ +1 to everyone :lol:

The temps are fine - i also have a core 2 quad and my temps are usually 35C on average and about 45C on load. So don't worry there x)

And graphic temps are also fine. Alot of cards can hit 70C and run fine. Course if yours is hitting 70C on idle well then we got a problem here :p

Follow the links jaquith posted - very useful apps indeed!

And you DEFINITELY need more than 1GB of ram mate xD - i mean a phone will probably have 1GB of ram XD

angry12345

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
still not home yet to get you the memory info for you on the voltage etc on the Memory

got the bios, chipset, and everything updated. seems to be running good. just the fan issue now. Cyberpowerpc didnt seem to want to help when i called them about the fan issue being installed right. they said its out warranty so replace it.. then said if you have any noise from a vid card to just replace it.

i went through asus board manual. i something seems off how they built it or im not understanding it. they put in the v1 fan, AND the optional asus fan which states not to be put in with another active fan, but only with a passie one. im guessing active means that the fan moves and passive means it doesnt.. but why would you put a v1 with a large fan in if your not going to use it?

i know when i first ordered the system it was with liquid cooling and they stated they were out but suggested the v1 as a good quiet alternative that is much better than liquid cooling.

maybe they just put in the v1 for the heat sinks and the other asus fan to be the fan?

Liquid {All-in-one} pumps run-off the CPU_FAN header, but the BIOS must be changed to run @ 100%. The remainder of the CASE_FAN are better served straight-off the PSU or dedicated 4 channel minimum fan controller.

Therefore, in particular look through the BIOS and set the CPU FAN @ 100% "if" there is a pump.

angry12345

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010

There is no liquid cooler. I had ordered one, but they never put on in. they put the V1 fan in instead. So no pump.

An active fan is one that moves right? and Passive one that doesnt?

angry12345

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010

Yea, that is what I am saying. Makes no sense to me. Just trying to make sense of what Cyberpower has set up there.

Btw, in your opinion is Cyberpower any good? Prices seem better than getting something made by Dell... but in past when you call for tech support its quite iffy. They either say they will call you back at some point during business day (which can be 5 hours later), or they tell you that the system you bought from them doesnt work right and to remove video cards or something along those lines. I find these boards much more helpful

Here is a pic of the inside of the the unit. I tried to include the back so you can see the flow of the fans etc...

The V1 is the obvious big orange thing with blue lighted fan, the back is obvious, what i "think" is the optional asus fan is the plastic thing in between the V1 and the back. As mentioned before, the Asus manual says NOT to use that fan with an active CPU cooling fan/system

http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w302/esmarketing/?action=view&current=photo.jpg

Dell sucks realllllly bad for both consumer & Workstations, but their highend servers are good; I have a lot of them! CyberPower PC is good in that you can choose the components, but you have to do some {a lot} of homework to make certain ALL of the components WORK TOGETHER.

That "looks like" a ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED; the orange is expensive copper. "IF" the "V1" has its OWN thermostat then it will still work off the CPU_FAN header BUT you would, as I mentioned earlier, need to run the CPU_FAN ant 100% - the Advantage would be CPU Fan failure detection from the BIOS {my thoughts anyway}.

angry12345

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010

assuming i can get the fan blowing again.. should i remove the Asus optional fan that Cyberpower put in since Asus says not to use it with an active cooling system?

angry12345

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
I think I might have found the problem to all this.

So, to recap

1. computer was on occasion locking up, rarely, but temperatures were not showing that high. (i did run Prime95 one time and the temps got up to 65 degrees on the CPU before I stopped it)

2. updated bios and set bios to default. fan error message started popping up and fan is not working

Checked with Thermaltake, they said that the V1 is really not that good about being put in a computer then shipped. That it shifts sometimes, and then gets blocked by a clamp.

I checked all around, and sure enough the fan was stuck on a clamp. Thermaltake said I could return it or get some pliers and bend the copper clamp a little.

I work with a guy on occasion who has a small company that does computer maintence/repairs so i went ahead and had him come out to do it since I dont trust myself inside hardware.

He came in, bent the clamp, fan started running again. Temps on machine were all 10 degrees lower than normal with it. Hopefully, all along that was the problem. Just overheated on occasion under strenous things, but the heatsink and the 6 other fans were good enough to keep the temperature low enough most of the time.

Im still guessing though that the fan rpm warning was disabled the whole time. I do not see why the warning would only start showing up after i set the bios to default and not before, and how changing bios would shake loose the fan.

He did say the fan looked kind of rigged in there and that it wasnt installed straight. Asked him about the optional fan, and he looked in manuals. Said it *might* disrupt air flow some, but that with all the fans and heatsinks in there it shouldnt be a problem.

That all sound plausible?