Rutherford Castle

I'm replaying T3, looking into all the stuff I missed first time around.

Example: You know the room with the master staircase in Rutherford Castle? It
sweeps up into the North wall. But there is also a second-story balcony opposite
spread around the east, south, and west walls. For the life of me I can't
figure out to get up there. Anyone recall?
http://www.pobox.com/~hapgood

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:40:03 -0400, Fred Hapgood <fhapgood@speakeasy.net>
wrote:

>I'm replaying T3, looking into all the stuff I missed first time around.
>
>Example: You know the room with the master staircase in Rutherford Castle? It
>sweeps up into the North wall. But there is also a second-story balcony opposite
>spread around the east, south, and west walls. For the life of me I can't
>figure out to get up there. Anyone recall?
>http://www.pobox.com/~hapgood

Remember, small passages may be obscured by large crates.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Fred Hapgood <fhapgood@speakeasy.net> writes:

> But there is also a second-story balcony opposite
> spread around the east, south, and west walls. For the life of me I can't
> figure out to get up there. Anyone recall?

Yep, I did that last night in the demo. I'll tell you that you *can*
get there, and from that you should be able to deduce how to do it.
Given that the cleaning staff can get up there occasionally would imply
that you don't need complicated box stacking.

--
Darin Johnson
"Floyd here now!"

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

> Example: You know the room with the master staircase in Rutherford Castle? It
> sweeps up into the North wall. But there is also a second-story balcony opposite
> spread around the east, south, and west walls. For the life of me I can't
> figure out to get up there. Anyone recall?

Can't avoid it in "expert" mode.

loony

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2001

> I'm replaying T3, looking into all the stuff I missed first time around.
>
> Example: You know the room with the master staircase in Rutherford Castle?
It
> sweeps up into the North wall. But there is also a second-story balcony
opposite
> spread around the east, south, and west walls. For the life of me I can't
> figure out to get up there. Anyone recall?
> http://www.pobox.com/~hapgood

You can mantel up there, but there's a trick to it. Standing on the first
landing looking toward the foot of the stairs. You can climb up onto the
railing on the right side, then jump mantel up to the above railing. The
trick is I found it impossible to do until I tried it in 3rd person. Once
I got into 3rd person I did it the first time I tried... and I've had others
say the same thing. It was one of the very few times I used 3rd person :)

Good luck.
Loony

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 00:01:49 GMT, Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

>>Example: You know the room with the master staircase in Rutherford Castle? It
>>sweeps up into the North wall. But there is also a second-story balcony opposite
>>spread around the east, south, and west walls. For the life of me I can't
>>figure out to get up there. Anyone recall?
>
>Remember, small passages may be obscured by large crates.

Thanks. It would have taken me forever to find that. I love this game but I'm
not very good at it.

http://www.pobox.com/~hapgood

"Loony" <loony@nospam.loony.name> kirjoitti viestissä

> You can mantel up there, but there's a trick to it. Standing on the first
> landing looking toward the foot of the stairs. You can climb up onto the
> railing on the right side, then jump mantel up to the above railing. The
> trick is I found it impossible to do until I tried it in 3rd person.
Once
> I got into 3rd person I did it the first time I tried... and I've had
others
> say the same thing. It was one of the very few times I used 3rd person :)

Can also be done in 1st person pov, without having to commit heresy. ;)

- Mika L

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:03:36 +0300, "Mika Latokartano"
<mika.latokartano@REMOVETHIS.kolumbus.fi.invalid> wrote:

>"Loony" <loony@nospam.loony.name> kirjoitti viestissä
>
>> You can mantel up there, but there's a trick to it. Standing on the first
>> landing looking toward the foot of the stairs. You can climb up onto the
>> railing on the right side, then jump mantel up to the above railing. The
>> trick is I found it impossible to do until I tried it in 3rd person.
>Once
>> I got into 3rd person I did it the first time I tried... and I've had
>others
>> say the same thing. It was one of the very few times I used 3rd person :)
>
>Can also be done in 1st person pov, without having to commit heresy. ;)

I tried like 10-20 times in 1st person mode, unsuccessfully. Worked
like a charm first time I tried it 3rd person. At the time it seemed
like the physics were more accomodating - for lack of a better word -
in 3rd person.

What's up Chuck?

To reach me, swap spammers get bent with softhome

"Greger Hoel" <gregerh@spammersgetbent.net> kirjoitti viestissä

> I tried like 10-20 times in 1st person mode, unsuccessfully. Worked
> like a charm first time I tried it 3rd person. At the time it seemed
> like the physics were more accomodating - for lack of a better word -
> in 3rd person.

I'm sure you're absolutely right about the physics. The character
animations are different between 1st and 3rd person povs, so it makes
perfect sense why the 3rd person pov in this case seems to work better and
be easier.

- Mika L

loony

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2001

> > I tried like 10-20 times in 1st person mode, unsuccessfully. Worked
> > like a charm first time I tried it 3rd person. At the time it seemed
> > like the physics were more accomodating - for lack of a better word -
> > in 3rd person.
>
> I'm sure you're absolutely right about the physics. The character
> animations are different between 1st and 3rd person povs, so it makes
> perfect sense why the 3rd person pov in this case seems to work better and
> be easier.

For me it came down to seeing where my body was. In First Person I could
barely climb and stay on the stupid railing :) But then that is early in
the game, long before I got used to the cuteness of the controls :)

On the 29 Jun 2004, Fred Hapgood <fhapgood@speakeasy.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 00:01:49 GMT, Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>

> >>Example: You know the room with the master staircase in Rutherford
> >>Castle? It sweeps up into the North wall. But there is also a
> >>second-story balcony opposite spread around the east, south, and
> >>west walls. For the life of me I can't figure out to get up there.
> >>Anyone recall?
> >
> >Remember, small passages may be obscured by large crates.
>
> Thanks. It would have taken me forever to find that. I love this
> game but I'm not very good at it.

The annoying thing for me was that I suspected that room was the way to
the balcony, and at one point was actually standing on the taffing
crate attempting to slash the tapestry. I don't know how I didn't see
the hole.

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

The other thing that took me ages to find was the final special loot
item in the Kurshok Citadel. I'd looked at and admired it a few times,
but wasn't close enough for it to be highlighted. I don't think it
glinted either. Stupid thing was, I'd noticed that it was different
from the others on the level but thought nothing of it.

As well as feeling guilty about stealing the Courier Bag from Widow
Moira (I agree that the designers should tweak the loot values so you
don't have to take it on Expert), I also kind of regret stealing that
Crown and removing the last hope of the Kurshok.

--
Jades' First Encounters Site - http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm
The best Frontier: First Encounters site on the Web.

NOSPAM@jades.org /is/ a real email address!