Sign in with
Your question

Best Liquid

Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
December 29, 2012 7:31:35 AM

So I ordered a nice custom water cooling kit, but I have 2 questions.

1. Can I mix a biocode (a bottle of deadwater) and a killcoil together?
2. Is it ok to have a pre mixed coolant with no dyes, and would that make it cooler?

Thanks!

More about : liquid

a c 150 K Overclocking
December 29, 2012 7:38:46 AM

1. Yes. You only need a few drops.

2. This is what you do, distilled water, kill coil/biocide, and colored tubing.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
December 29, 2012 7:39:06 AM

Yes, biocides and silver mix, just be sparing with the deadwater, only use the amount they tell you to
No, any premix will be less capable of heat transfer than plain distilled water
Moto
m
l
Related resources
December 29, 2012 7:49:24 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Yes, biocides and silver mix, just be sparing with the deadwater, only use the amount they tell you to
No, any premix will be less capable of heat transfer than plain distilled water
Moto

Would it be bad if I took a drank out of the water before I installed it? I'm serious, would my spit me a bad coolant? I wanted to taste distilled water, but I don't want to have to go buy another thing of it.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
December 29, 2012 8:00:38 AM

Pour a little into a glass then, it won't hurt you but there are microbes in your saliva which will be bad for the loop,
anything living in the loop is bad
Moto
m
l
December 29, 2012 8:10:00 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Pour a little into a glass then, it won't hurt you but there are microbes in your saliva which will be bad for the loop,
anything living in the loop is bad
Moto

Distilled water sounds good :) .
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
December 29, 2012 6:56:59 PM

Walmart distilled water tastes horrible.
m
l
December 29, 2012 8:08:25 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Its just water with all the minerals etc distilled out of them, you knew that though right?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distilled_water
Moto

Yeah, but still I hate the taste of water with minerals. I never tasted it though, this is the only "coolant" i can drink :) .
m
l
December 29, 2012 8:08:48 PM

amuffin said:
Walmart distilled water tastes horrible.

Then it might not be distilled :) . You never know what they do to it :) .
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
December 29, 2012 8:09:18 PM

ColoredWater said:
Yeah, but still I hate the taste of water with minerals. I never tasted it though, this is the only "coolant" i can drink :) .

Well, if we're ever in a survival situation with our PC's we can always drink the distilled water! :) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 29, 2012 8:14:40 PM

On biocide and silver is there a brand of choice.
I have seen a stop fitting with a siver bullet that looks cool.
m
l
December 29, 2012 8:20:02 PM

amuffin said:
Well, if we're ever in a survival situation with our PC's we can always drink the distilled water! :) 

Until you find out someone put biocide in it....
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
December 29, 2012 8:24:19 PM

ColoredWater said:
Until you find out someone put biocide in it....

That's why we use silver kill coils! :D 
m
l
December 29, 2012 8:32:57 PM

amuffin said:
That's why we use silver kill coils! :D 

Too many people use Feser One, it does not seem that bad but enough and now people use it that water cooling systems will not be a reliable source of water!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwQDLeCz9FI
m
l
December 30, 2012 5:32:45 AM

I just put some of the distilled water in tea and it made the tea taste epic :) .
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
December 30, 2012 7:05:31 AM

the way this thread is developing, w/ survival skills being questioned...I wonder what life would be like when the river beds dry up and all you have is stone...
m
l
December 30, 2012 7:12:12 AM

Lutfij said:
the way this thread is developing, w/ survival skills being questioned...I wonder what life would be like when the river beds dry up and all you have is stone...

Then it will be time to drain your loop :) . Any water cooled PCs would be worth so much.
m
l
a c 177 K Overclocking
December 30, 2012 10:58:35 AM

Water from a loop tastes horrible I can tell you that.

Tried to drain my loop through the res, had the ingenious idea of putting a bit of tubing through the fill port and sucking to create pressure and for it to drain that way. Didnt work and with the tubing and the various metals seeping into the water, didn't taste that good.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
December 30, 2012 12:03:24 PM

My modem is dead so I'm restricted to the mobile but this thread got funny lol,
Moto
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
December 30, 2012 12:15:37 PM

yeah , just found out how many people can involuntarily drink bad stuff :) 
m
l
December 31, 2012 12:42:35 AM

manofchalk said:
Water from a loop tastes horrible I can tell you that.

Tried to drain my loop through the res, had the ingenious idea of putting a bit of tubing through the fill port and sucking to create pressure and for it to drain that way. Didnt work and with the tubing and the various metals seeping into the water, didn't taste that good.

Try drinking dyed water :) .
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
January 1, 2013 1:16:09 AM

beer in a loop :)  now that was funny! :D 
*back on topic, yeah it doesn't get better than distilled in all aspects of a loop.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2013 11:13:11 PM

The ablertsons distilled water with biocide and a silver coil works just fine for me.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 12:10:36 AM

Hmm, I might have the exact same setup but I'm wondering about biocide and a killcoil :??: .
m
l
a c 177 K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 12:12:58 AM

You can have either or both, and either will do just as good a job as both. I prefer kill-coils because its a matter of dropping it in and forgetting about it, while with a Biocide you have to re-apply every time you open the loop.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 12:21:40 AM

manofchalk said:
You can have either or both, and either will do just as good a job as both. I prefer kill-coils because its a matter of dropping it in and forgetting about it, while with a Biocide you have to re-apply every time you open the loop.

I got biocide for free but for an extra $6.99 I got a killcoil :) .
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 12:22:58 AM

Albertsons get replaced by Luckys in my area.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 12:23:54 AM

amuffin said:
Albertsons get replaced by Luckys in my area.

Umm, Luckys?
m
l
a c 333 K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 1:36:18 AM

Distilled, kill coil and biocide in mine. I don't trust a kill coil alone, but I had it and might as well use it.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 1:40:00 AM

rubix_1011 said:
Distilled, kill coil and biocide in mine. I don't trust a kill coil alone, but I had it and might as well use it.

Does the killcoil put stuff in the water or is it like anything that is growing in the water cooling loop dyes when it touches it?
m
l
a c 333 K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 1:45:01 AM

The concept is that the ionization of the silver in the kill coil into the water causes an environment that isn't suitable for microbes to grow. It's also said that copper (found in almost all watercooling blocks) also has the same properties.

This is the same reason you don't use copper tubing for fish tanks...it causes the water to become poisonous to the fish...and they die.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 1:53:46 AM

yeap, fish need certain microbes to thrive in order to create a balanced water chemistry.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 1:55:17 AM

So could you consider a copper waterblock to be just as good as a killcoil? Isn't ionization the thing you can make water non conducting or conducting?
m
l
a c 333 K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 2:01:54 AM

Yes and yes - it's based on the electron properties of the metal's atoms, but forgive me if my chemistry isn't quite up to par. Both silver and copper atoms have a singular outer electron ring, but silver has more electrons and the outer 'rings' are weaker meaning more of the electrons can 'escape'. Ounce for ounce, silver will ionize more than copper into water, but since a kill coil is such a small amount of silver vs. the amount of copper you likely have in a loop (CPU block, GPU block(s) ) it's really a toss-up of which is doing more work, if any at all. This is why I still use biocide.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2013 7:13:47 PM

Distilled Water
m
l
January 11, 2013 11:14:43 AM

Anytime you have 2 metals inside a water cooling loop you will have ionization of both materials and thus galvanic corrosion, which will cause one of the metals to deteriorate into the loop. Notice when you look into your car/truck radiator, that you see the sick green stuff (NO, not the antifreeze, silly) that coats the walls of it.

The way that silver does deteriorate is what causes the unbalanced ph of a loop, causing it to be toxic to most organics. It will deposit the ionized metal all through the loop, and so this is also a reason why you should flush and clean your loop on a regular basis.

Personally, I also do recommend kill coil and a biocide, as well.
m
l
!