Advise on this graphics/video editing build

cutcopypaste

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
i'm close to maxed out budget-wise, so any advice on cutting down the price on this a bit is welcome. I use a LOT of photoshop, and some after effects and premiere. I do definitely intend to play games as well, but that's no the primary purpose.

My monitor right now has 2048x1152 resolution, but I don't care if games can run at that smoothly.

I already have monitor, several harddrives, keyboard, mouse, operating system, and dvdrw drive.

I'm not interested in overclocking or crossfire/sli, so if you think that could save me some other things, lemme know.

main concerns are keeping it quiet, fast, good value for money, and energy efficient. I also intend to dual monitor with it at some point (when i can afford another monitor...)

If you think there's price drops coming soon I could take advantage of do let me know... I'm a bargain hunter and don't need this immediately. I was thinking of doing it this week, but I would also be totally cool waiting a few months on it.

this is in CAD btw, so things might be slightly more than you'd normally expect.

Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - 304.99
I went with i7 because hyperthreading etc is reportedly excellent for heavy productivity multitasking..

GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 - 149.99
wanted to future proof a bit, so went $15 up on the motherboard to get usb 3 and sata 6g support. i don't want to be upgrading again for several years

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100284VXL Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP - 149.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - 110.49

LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 Black - 109.99

corsair 400W powersupply - 59.99

=885.44
+tax
+shipping

thinking of throwing on a 7200 rpm drive since i only have a 5400 right now, but am waiting to see on finances. I would also be upgrading my ram before too long, but gonna probably leave it at 4 for now, unless i can save money by jumping to 8.

Solution
The new drive would be a big benefit when running Photoshop. It's always best to have a completely separate scratch drive for the best Photshop performance. A 5400RPM drive is going to cause the whole system to feel slow.

cutcopypaste

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
that case does look pretty nice! actually has more room for drives than the lian li. i'd heard the k62 was particularly quiet, but that one looks like it should do the job as well. unfortunately that combo deal seems to be only on the US site and i'm shopping from canada... as well on the canadian site the gpu you mentioned has no rebate, and that ram is 13 dollars more instead of 4. advice is still useful.. i can shop around and see if i can find any deals on an improved gpu or lower latency ram.
thanks!