Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Motherboard Selection Problem

Last response: in Motherboards
October 25, 2010 8:38:10 PM

I am trying to select components for my first desktop computer build, but I have run into difficulty with selecting a motherboard. I had decided to use an X86 motherboard with the core i7-950 CPU, but every mobo I have considered so far has some serious problems and/or complaints in the buyer’s feedback ratings at the newegg website (or elsewhere). I have looked at Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA, MSI and Intel boards on newegg and at my local CompUSA store, BUT I cannot find any mobo that appears to be safe to buy! They all seem to have definite risks of being completely DOA (dead on arrival), having faulty components, having memory problems, etc. And they have the added risk that they cannot be returned or replaced (e.g. due to time limitations, or pins bent on arrival, etc.).
I have just about given up with selecting a reliable, low-risk mobo!
• Should I hire a “custom-computer-builder” person/business to purchase all components, assemble and test my next computer, using the components that I have selected (so they can deal with all the risks, and then sell me the working system with guarantee, after they have worked through all the problems)?
• Should I ignore all of the “bad” ratings in newegg (including from one to 4 stars)?
• My latest “hopefuls” were the “Asus SaberTooth X58”, or the “Asus P6X58D-E”. Can someone recommend a more reliable, low-risk, X58 mobo?
• Should I switch to the P55 mobos?
• Can someone recommend a more reliable, low-risk, P55 mobo?
• Should I switch processor selection from Intel to AMD? (I have not yet looked at buyer’s ratings for mobo’s that support AMD processors).
I will use my new computer for editing high-resolution photos, and for format conversions and editing of videos (I will probably NOT use it for gaming). I want to build a somewhat high-end system for future-proofing, and to try my hand with overclocking (to speed up rendering of my photos in Lightroom, and converting movie formats).

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2010 9:15:47 PM

"x86" Who mate, we are not that far into next year yet xD. Im sure you meant x58 :lol: 

All right see here: PC components are ALWAYS a risk. It's technology. Anything can go wrong for whatever reason. Now quality makes these reasons either disappear or get smaller in the chances of happening.

Now you just listed some of the best motherboard brand out there: Asus EVGA, Giggy, and MSI are all good brands.

EVGA is probably the best one out there - they focus mainly on Intel so they have one step farther than the rest (in my opinion xD).

Asus is very reliable - has never let me down x)

[Typo] Now the Sabertooth x58 and the P6x58D-E are both great solid boards!! I mean "more reliable" than those boards? They are reliable. If you go poking them with wire-cutters then maybe they won't be so reliable xP.

And why would CompUSA not return it if the pins are bent? Are you buying a "open-box item" or what? I've purchased alot of parts at a CompUSA store and never had problems like that. They offer a 30-day guarantee on alot of their inventory.

Tell me what's your budget limit mate?
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 25, 2010 9:33:18 PM

^ General suggestion & observations - there is NO/zip MOBO with a 100% "Approval" or "No Problems" - MOST of the problems, e.g. RAM is because MOST people have poor selection habits and do NOT follow "Good Practices" in building or selection of ALL of their components.

As you mentioned, bent pins is because people have either the dexterity of an Elephant or patience of a Mole.

Further, Newegg has an excellent FILTER = Verified Owners and you need to read the 'Bad + Why' and then go to the OEM site and look if a NEW BIOS has repaired/corrected the 'Bad' problem.

I own 9 ASUS P6X58D-E rigs and the MOBO is very good, but it is not my top choice of an x58/1366 Gaming Board - it depends upon your budget. A well balanced + good components X58 rig is going to cost ~ $1,400 ~ $1,600+ with SSD and good GPU.
m
l
Related resources
October 27, 2010 2:37:41 PM

Gekko Shadow said:
"x86" Who mate, we are not that far into next year yet xD. Im sure you meant x58 :lol: 

All right see here: PC components are ALWAYS a risk. It's technology. Anything can go wrong for whatever reason. Now quality makes these reasons either disappear or get smaller in the chances of happening.

Now you just listed some of the best motherboard brand out there: Asus EVGA, Giggy, and MSI are all good brands.

EVGA is probably the best one out there - they focus mainly on Intel so they have one step farther than the rest (in my opinion xD).

Asus is very reliable - has never let me down x)

Not the Sabertooth x58 and the P6x58D-E are both great solid boards!! I mean "more reliable" than those boards? They are reliable. If you go poking them with wire-cutters then maybe they won't be so reliable xP.

And why would CompUSA not return it if the pins are bent? Are you buying a "open-box item" or what? I've purchased alot of parts at a CompUSA store and never had problems like that. They offer a 30-day guarantee on alot of their inventory.

Tell me what's your budget limit mate?

Thank you for your response, Gekko Shadow. You are right, of course --- I tried to type "X58" (vs X86).

I saw a few reports on newegg for the "bent pins" problem. I believe the buyers did NOT receive "open-box" items, but when they tried to return the mobo, newegg said the buyer must have bent the pins (maybe true).

My budget is ~ US$1,000 to ~ $1,200 for the system, excluding monitor, keyboard and mouse. My budget is ~ $180 to ~ $220 for the mobo.

Based on comments from you and others, I am now looking at EVGA mobos more seriously. The "EVGA X58 FTW3" looks very interesting, but it is above my mobo budget. Should I stretch my budget for the "FTW3", or are there other good alternatives at lower prices (considering that I never expect to use more than one GPU)?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2010 3:44:34 PM

More than likely that might have been the issue - the users may not have now how to install the cpu properly and bent the pins. But if you ever receive a board like that - report it (RMA/return it) ASAP. The longer you take the more they will nag at you saying you bent them. Unless you're like me who will call the manager and tell them IT WAS like that until they replace it xD. (Or if i'm lazy just buy a new one and sell the broken one as-is on eBay xD :lol:  ).

nom nom nice board indeed xD - but if you're only going to use one GPU, you might better off with the Sabertooth x58 x)

Here's a link for newegg comparing both of the board side by side: linky hurr~

Now if you notice - the specs are about the same - but the Asus it $189. Better in your price range for about the same specs. PLUS the Asus has a 5 year warranty compared to that EVGA's 1 year. And the board is a great solid board, with good OC stability :) .

The only thing on that Asus is the fact that it has 2 x PCIe 2.0's and a older PCIe (NOT 2.0). But this won't be an issue since you're not going to be going 3-way Sli lol. And even if you were - it's still NOT an issue xD 3-way Sli (or 2-way Sli + Physx) will still rap3 games on high x)

m
l
October 27, 2010 3:56:05 PM

I have some recommendations don't buy intel's motherboard, i have worked some days in a computer center. Intel's motherboard is not much as reliable. Gigabyte's motherboards are more stable and reliable than asus boards(am saying from my experiences believe or not) but intel's processor is very good. It is very good for office use. Amd's processor is suitable for gaming and animation applications.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2010 4:09:54 PM

Nishadk08 said:
I have some recommendations don't buy intel's motherboard, i have worked some days in a computer center. Intel's motherboard is not much as reliable. Gigabyte's motherboards are more stable and reliable than asus boards(am saying from my experiences believe or not) but intel's processor is very good. It is very good for office use. Amd's processor is suitable for gaming and animation applications.

No one has suggested Intel boards xD :lol:  Intel boards are never really suggested - not the best in the bunch lol

Giggy boards are good boards - but i wouldn't go as far as saying they are better than Asus. If anything i would say they might be about the same. Also might depend on what range of boards you are talking about. x)

Aww you an AMD user? lol. AMD still needs a little more push (in my opinion) but Intel's cpu's are more than just good for office use. They are great at gaming, awesome at rendering and video editing xD
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 27, 2010 4:15:32 PM

^ {Gigabyte} Belief + Knowing {=NOT} firsthand. The ASUS have +2 phases, and currently - knock on wood less H/W implementation issues.

Yes, Intel MOBOs suck, and oddly so considering they produce many of the chips and chip-sets??!!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2010 4:23:54 PM

@Jaquith lol, so then we're on the same page that giggy is iffy? :lol: 

And yeah i don't get that either xD why do they have great processors and so many chipsets - but their own boards are - well pretty much nothing i would ever buy =P.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 27, 2010 4:35:44 PM

Taking my current issues aside, after 1900+ posts - I see more problems with Gigabyte over ASUS. And I still am in disbelief over Intel; Logic ≠ Reality.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2010 4:41:06 PM

:lol:  go Asus! xD

"Logic ≠ Reality"
I second that!

Hey pauldknight,
Have you also found a PSU you are interested in getting for your system?
m
l
October 27, 2010 10:21:40 PM

Gekko Shadow said:
:lol:  go Asus! xD

"Logic ≠ Reality"
I second that!

Hey pauldknight,
Have you also found a PSU you are interested in getting for your system?

Yes, the Corsair HX750W, for the modular cables, and the excellent review by Ecos Consulting, who claim it is actually "80 Plus GOLD", but Corsair downgraded it to Silver! I believe the 750 Watts is more than necesary now, but I hope to continue using the HX750W for the life of this system, with future upgrades.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2010 11:41:41 PM

Yeah a 750w can run a good deal x) an nice choice on the corsair xD
m
l
November 4, 2010 12:30:48 AM

Best answer selected by pauldknight.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 4, 2010 1:29:21 PM

x) if you need any more help send me a message :) 
m
l
!