Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Laptops
  • SATA
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
March 21, 2012 12:41:27 AM

Hello,
Hi I need some help finding a connector, adapter or kit of some kind to convert 2.5' ide hdd to a 2.5' ssta to be used in a laptop not for a desktop any suggestions

More about : sata ide laptop hard drive conversion

a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
March 21, 2012 1:32:20 AM

nope can't be done. Theres not space and the mounting system wont work
March 21, 2012 2:05:06 AM

Doing that INSIDE the laptop, is not likely or really possible. Laptops dont have extra space there in general because they dont want the HDD flopping around in an empty void. Very very unlikely, but small chance it can fit with some modification. Any pictures of your HDD slot?
Related resources
a c 233 D Laptop
a c 137 G Storage
March 21, 2012 12:59:58 PM

blakmumba said:
Try this

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/dynamode-ide-sata-si-bidir...

With a bit off modding (if yr good with soldering iron) shouldn't be a problem :) 

The "bit of modding" would be to carve a 1 inch deep hole for the device inside the laptop to make space for that thing, moving all the electronics back inside the case more. I'd just spend $20 for a nice external case for the ATA drive and use whatever drive is in the laptop for the laptop. If the drive is bad, get another SATA drive to use.
March 21, 2012 2:17:35 PM

hang-the-9 said:
The "bit of modding" would be to carve a 1 inch deep hole for the device inside the laptop to make space for that thing, moving all the electronics back inside the case more. I'd just spend $20 for a nice external case for the ATA drive and use whatever drive is in the laptop for the laptop. If the drive is bad, get another SATA drive to use.

Have you actually fitted 1 into a laptop?. If not you should keep these silly comments to your self. Yes I have fitted many in and from past experience Is the reason to say 'mod' and did you read when I mentioned 'soldering iron'? Now why do you think I mentioned that. Op if you really want to know how, pm and il guide you through. Cannot be dealing with all these silly comments. Peace
September 25, 2012 3:52:51 PM

Hello...
new on this forum, cause i 'm not a native english speaker, I known better the french version of tom's hardware...

Nevertheless, it's quite difficult to get the kind of information I need in french...

That's why I'm posting here...

I'm pretty well interested in dealing with sata 2,5 HD to suit my old thinkpad laptops that has only a pata interface ( R50).

I've found this kind of converter It can fit in my laptop and I know the HD will be outside the enclosure for Half an inch ( say 1,5 cm)

blakmumba provided a link to a device that is far bigger, and i 'd like to know precisely how this bigger device can fit in my laptop.
As hang-the-9 wrote, seems pretty difficult...

blackmumba wouldn't it possible to post your help here instead of restricting it to PM ?
"Op if you really want to know how, pm and il guide you through"

thanks in advance
!