Choppy Video

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
November 28, 2004 9:53:58 PM

I have a Sony DSC-P93 digital camera and had a question regarding shooting
movies. I used a 256 MB SanDisk Memory Stick Pro and selected 640 Fine on
my camera. When I played back the movie on my computer it was choppy and
the sound was going in and out. I shot another segment with the setting set
at 640 Standard and I had no problems.

Could anyone assist me with this problem.

Thanks,

More about : choppy video

Anonymous
November 28, 2004 11:34:51 PM

Was the first clip in low light.

Bill Crocker

"Ray" <thecarreras@cox.net> wrote in message
>I have a Sony DSC-P93 digital camera and had a question regarding shooting
> movies. I used a 256 MB SanDisk Memory Stick Pro and selected 640 Fine on
> my camera. When I played back the movie on my computer it was choppy and
> the sound was going in and out. I shot another segment with the setting
> set
> at 640 Standard and I had no problems.
>
> Could anyone assist me with this problem.
>
> Thanks,

November 28, 2004 11:34:52 PM

It was taken during the day inside a travel trailer with the windows open.

"Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Was the first clip in low light.
>
> Bill Crocker
>

> "Ray" <thecarreras@cox.net> wrote in message
> >I have a Sony DSC-P93 digital camera and had a question regarding
shooting
> > movies. I used a 256 MB SanDisk Memory Stick Pro and selected 640 Fine
on
> > my camera. When I played back the movie on my computer it was choppy
and
> > the sound was going in and out. I shot another segment with the setting
> > set
> > at 640 Standard and I had no problems.
> >
> > Could anyone assist me with this problem.
> >
> > Thanks,

November 29, 2004 3:58:31 AM

"Ray" <thecarreras@cox.net> wrote in message
>I have a Sony DSC-P93 digital camera and had a question regarding shooting
> movies. I used a 256 MB SanDisk Memory Stick Pro and selected 640 Fine on
> my camera. When I played back the movie on my computer it was choppy and
> the sound was going in and out. I shot another segment with the setting
> set
> at 640 Standard and I had no problems.
>
> Could anyone assist me with this problem.
>
> Thanks,

Does it play on the camera correctly without being choppy? It could be your
PC is struggling to cope with the recording made in Fine mode.
November 29, 2004 3:58:32 AM

It plays fine on the camera. I can play other MPEG's on my computer with no
problem. I don't think it's my PC.

"Harvey" <harvey@not.ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "Ray" <thecarreras@cox.net> wrote in message
> >I have a Sony DSC-P93 digital camera and had a question regarding
shooting
> > movies. I used a 256 MB SanDisk Memory Stick Pro and selected 640 Fine
on
> > my camera. When I played back the movie on my computer it was choppy
and
> > the sound was going in and out. I shot another segment with the setting
> > set
> > at 640 Standard and I had no problems.
> >
> > Could anyone assist me with this problem.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> Does it play on the camera correctly without being choppy? It could be
your
> PC is struggling to cope with the recording made in Fine mode.

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 7:52:24 AM

Ray wrote:

> It plays fine on the camera. I can play other MPEG's on my computer with no
> problem. I don't think it's my PC.

How are you plugging into the computer (camera USB cable, card reader?),
and are you sure it's a USB 2.0 port? USB 1.1 likely isn't fast enough
for the full-quality feed, or possibly the camera's own USB port isn't
fast enough (I get much faster transfer speeds, even on USB 1.1, using a
CF card reader compared to my DRebel's USB port). What if you copy the
files off the card onto the PC and then play them off the HDD?
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 10:18:05 AM

"Ray" <thecarreras@cox.net> wrote in message news:<Ukuqd.102557$tU4.72316@okepread06>...
> I have a Sony DSC-P93 digital camera and had a question regarding shooting
> movies. I used a 256 MB SanDisk Memory Stick Pro and selected 640 Fine on
> my camera. When I played back the movie on my computer it was choppy and
> the sound was going in and out. I shot another segment with the setting set
> at 640 Standard and I had no problems.
>
> Could anyone assist me with this problem.
>
> Thanks,

There is another newsgroup, rec.video.desktop that is probably a
better group to ask this of.
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 4:38:47 PM

>"Ray" <thecarreras@cox.net> wrote in message news:<Ukuqd.102557$tU4.72316@okepread06>...
>> I have a Sony DSC-P93 digital camera and had a question regarding shooting
>> movies. I used a 256 MB SanDisk Memory Stick Pro and selected 640 Fine on
>> my camera. When I played back the movie on my computer it was choppy and
>> the sound was going in and out. I shot another segment with the setting set
>> at 640 Standard and I had no problems.
>>
>> Could anyone assist me with this problem.
>>
>> Thanks,

The problem sure sounds like the card can't keep up with the data flow
from the camera.
Whether this is an innate problem with that model, or is a sample
defect of either the camera or the card is impossible to say.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

<< It plays fine on the camera. I can play other MPEG's on my computer with no
problem. I don't think it's my PC. >>

Could be the software. I find my 'vids' play best in QuickTime (rather than
Real or Win Media).

Best,

Conrad

Conrad Weiler
Camp Sherman, Oregon
November 30, 2004 2:11:01 AM

Matt,
Thanks for your input...you were correct in that the movie plays better once
I copied into my hard drive, however, I'm disappointed in the quality of the
images. Maybe my expectations are too high...this is a still camera capable
of taking movies and not the other way around.

Also thanks to the others who gave me their suggestions as well !!!

Ray

"Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message
> Ray wrote:
>
> > It plays fine on the camera. I can play other MPEG's on my computer
with no
> > problem. I don't think it's my PC.
>
> How are you plugging into the computer (camera USB cable, card reader?),
> and are you sure it's a USB 2.0 port? USB 1.1 likely isn't fast enough
> for the full-quality feed, or possibly the camera's own USB port isn't
> fast enough (I get much faster transfer speeds, even on USB 1.1, using a
> CF card reader compared to my DRebel's USB port). What if you copy the
> files off the card onto the PC and then play them off the HDD?
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 12:04:23 PM

Ray wrote:

> Matt,
> Thanks for your input...you were correct in that the movie plays better once
> I copied into my hard drive, however, I'm disappointed in the quality of the
> images. Maybe my expectations are too high...this is a still camera capable
> of taking movies and not the other way around.

Which images - stills or video? Video quality, on those still cameras
that support it, is generally artificially limited to minimize the
amount of data - whether to minimize bandwidth on hardware that's not
generally designed for large data streams, or to accomodate smaller
memory cards, will depend on the exact design parameters of a given camera.

> Also thanks to the others who gave me their suggestions as well !!!
>
> Ray
>
> "Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message
>
>>Ray wrote:
>>

>>>It plays fine on the camera. I can play other MPEG's on my computer
>
> with no
>
>>>problem. I don't think it's my PC.
>>
>>How are you plugging into the computer (camera USB cable, card reader?),
>>and are you sure it's a USB 2.0 port? USB 1.1 likely isn't fast enough
>>for the full-quality feed, or possibly the camera's own USB port isn't
>>fast enough (I get much faster transfer speeds, even on USB 1.1, using a
>>CF card reader compared to my DRebel's USB port). What if you copy the
>>files off the card onto the PC and then play them off the HDD?

December 1, 2004 12:04:24 PM

Yeah...it was the video images that I was refering to. Again thanks for
your input.

!