Sign in with
Your question

Re-install windows

Last response: in Windows 7
October 20, 2011 10:14:47 PM

Hello,
My computer works fine, although slow. I want to reformat it & reinstall windows7. The dvdrom spins up fine, but computer doesn't seem to recognize it. Then I go to the boot menu & ask it to boot from cdrom. It starts, then says press any key to boot from cd. I press keys but it is as if it ignores the command & boots windows as normal. Any suggestions?

More about : install windows

a b $ Windows 7
October 20, 2011 10:33:32 PM

Is the win7 disk in the drive? Is it a legit. win7 disk? Is the drive shown in device manager? Check the data cable at the drive and the MB. Can you play a music cd or other media on the drive?
m
l
October 20, 2011 10:39:52 PM

Switch USB port for your keyboard and go into BIOS and disable a feature called something like "Halt on keyboard errors".

You should be able to prompt the Windows installation when it does the coundown after this.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 20, 2011 10:40:24 PM

What happens when u select boot from dvd drive instead of HDD? In the BIOS.
m
l
October 20, 2011 10:48:33 PM

Dogsnake said:
Is the win7 disk in the drive? Is it a legit. win7 disk? Is the drive shown in device manager? Check the data cable at the drive and the MB. Can you play a music cd or other media on the drive?

Yes it's in the drive. Yes it's legit. Yes the device is shown in device manager,everything is hooked up. I went to my computer, selected drive, it showed stuff on DVD, so now I hit setup & it installing windows. I clicked the custom option it showed my hard drive but made it seem like it would just install it over the old one. It said if I wanted to make changes I would have to boot from disk! Confused.
m
l
October 20, 2011 10:52:19 PM

It goes to the next step then says press any key to boot from cd, but it is as if it totally disregards the command and goes straight into opening my computer.
m
l
October 20, 2011 11:10:29 PM

i doubt it but...
so it comes up to press any key to boot from cd, you press a key nothin happens?
is the keyboard usb? is usb keyboard enabled in bios? cause sometimes it will ignore your inputs o.O especially on the safe mode menu etc
m
l
October 21, 2011 1:41:42 AM

I had both USB & wireless. They both worked because it would let me select f12, etc. Never went into safe mode. Thx for the help
m
l
!