DELL Studio 1749 with ATI 5650

docta

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Hello,

I want to upgrade my dell 1749 from a i5-520M to a quad core mobile i7,.. however i am unable to find out what chipset/socket it it has. is anyone able to help ,me out on that?

-Matt

Laptops are difficult to upgrade, as are OEM computers. Especially for the CPU. I don't even know where you would be able to purchase a core i7 mobile. Nor would it be worth the cost. Why do you want to upgrade anyway?

I'll try to help you out though if you can link me to your computer model on the "support" section of the Dell website.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

hi
i have seen some core i7 for laptops on ebay. secondly i think it will work perfectly, if you had the option to upgrade it, on dell website, when buying your laptop. as these core i7 processors are new so there wont be much variations in them so i think it will work just fine. just to be sure, before installing the core i7, update your bios. the rest must be fine. hope i helped.

pcphantom

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012

You can upgrade to an i7 but not quad core. I have the same laptop as you do. You need to make sure you've downloaded the latest bios including the patch they released for the i7 fix and then you can buy a i7 620m processor which is 2.66ghz dual core. Sorry but I've done a lot of research on this, it's the best processor you can use. If you don't download the bios patches first you'll get a lot of crashes though.

Just FYI, I found my i7 620m on eBay for under $35 US

TRENDING THREADS