P7p55d wont boot...

Training

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
I just built a new rig, an asus p7p55d with an 870 I-7. 2 sticks of G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 and a GTX470. Im using an OCZ600sxs for my psu. The problem is when I turn it on, it does an infinite loop of starting for half a second and stopping. I know a lot of people have had the same problem with this mobo and I would instantly think that was the problem but for some reason sometimes I CAN get into windows with a lot of luck. It runs just fine when I can actually get it booted up, had it running for a couple days straight with no incident, which makes me the think the PSU is not the problem. As soon as I turn it off though I cant restart it. If I unplug the two power pins to the CPU the computer boots right up and stays on, but with them plugged in it does the loop. Im not sure if I should RMA the mobo or upgrade my PSU, I dont think it would run for 2 days straight like that if it were the PSU though.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
You have a post on Asus forum by the nickname Matthew. Am I correct ? Have you read my reply there ?

Anyway, the motherboard takes either a 4-pin or 8-pin CPU power connector and comes with the 4-pin already plugged. Therefore, you can use a 4-pin power connector.

So what power pins are you talking about removing ?

Did you check if the pins are correctly located as regards polarity ?

You can also remove all the pins that overlap the plugged pins if you have an 8-pin CPU power connector, turning it into a real 4-pin power connector.

Training

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Yes thats me, im trying to get help anywhere I can before I decide if I should RMA this or just return it for a different board. If I remove both 4-pin power connectors before powering up the computer will continue to run but will not display anything on the monitor. If I plug in one or both of the 4-pin power connectors I get an infinite loop of starting and stopping. I cant upgrade the bios as I havent been able to get it running in 3 days now.