Gigabyte P35 D3SL best CPU?

Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
Since I have to fix some stuff on my system, I'm thinking about upgrading my CPU. Currently the motherboard has a E4500 processor that I'm overclocking a wee bit. I do some gaming and photo retouching mostly. Any suggestions on a good processor for this aging motherboard?

Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
I'm pretty sure I'm up to F8 on my BIOS. I'll check out that CPU. Can I just drop in that processor without changing anything else on my motherboard? That would help a lot.

Wow, I just checked and that processor is still $329 on Newegg.

@OP: Depending on the software you run, you will most certainly benefit from a quad. You should be able to find a Q6600,etc on Ebay for <$100. I would NOT spend more than $150-200 as you can spend a little more and get a AM3 CPU. There is no point in spending money on a dead socket. DO NOT buy the QX9650.

If you have not OCed this yet. OC it. Here is the guide I wrote a while back: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245679-29-guide-overclocking-ds3l-updated-2008 for that exact board.

edit:
I see that you have a small OC. What heatsink are you using?

Shadow is probably right. No need to spend much on that old board. You can still go down the list of compatible CPUs and find a faster (than your old CPU) one that's a more economical. But then again, a QX9650 would make your comp fly like it never has.

I would look at CPU and mother board bundles too. Now you can get really good deals on new CPU/Board combos that cost less than the QX9650 alone. AMD and Intel.

Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
The more I think about it, the more I think I'll just bump up the OC on this processor. If I get where I need more power after that, I'll just do a new build. I just got it where CPU-Z says it's at 1498.5 Since this is a Core 2 Duo, that means I'm running about 3 Ghz, right?

Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
Found it and disabled it. Is that a good thing?

How good of a job does the EasyTune6 application do at overclocking. I'm not talking about extreme overclocking here. But it sure would make things easier if it worked. I see two different ways to overclock using it. One is the Tuner and the other is Smart.

tecmo34

Administrator
^+1000 agree with Shadow703793

Overclocking should be done through the BIOS. At most a program like EasyTune should only be used to do some little final tweaking once the "major" overclocking has been confirmed stable through the appropriate testing.

4745454b

Titan
I've never really done a lot of OCing. When I have, its always been in the bios. If you want a very mild OC then a software app might be ok. I know some like to use it to OC the CPU before loading a game. Gets them a few extra MHz before loading without having to reboot. I wouldn't do any 24/7 OCing with one.

Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
Well, at this point it doesn't matter much. I can't my PC to post. There's a running thread in the Motherboard board regarding this if you care to chime in. Wait this IS the motherboard board! I can't figure the darn thing out. Just switched the power supply, but that wasn't it.