Interference noise from monitor

lafleur1977

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Hello,

I have recently built a new PC and all is working great except for one minor (but annoying) issue. The problem seems to be some sort of interference noise or hard drive noise which is coming out of my monitor speakers. The problem does not occur when I unplug the audio cable from either the monitor or onboard audio connection. This monitor does not have the same issue when connected to another PC. I have also tried a spare monitor and that does not have the same issue. I Have also tried another audio cable and I still had the same issue.

PC spec:

CPU - Intel i7 920
MB: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P
Graphics card: XFX ATI radeon HD5750
RAM: Corsair DDR3 6GB
PSU: Corsair HX Series 750W
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB x2 (RAID 1)

Has anybody come across this issue before? Any help at all would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
have you tried a set of plain PC speakers ?

are the HDDs internal ? ... no external enclosers/PSUs ??

Is the monitor plugged into the same outlet (ground) as everything else ?

See if the noise is present if you run audio to other devices (i.e. powered speakers, a battery operated boom-box (aux in?) ... headphones ?????

Try a brand new "Monster(TM) grade" fully sheilded audio cable(s).

Plug everything into the same power strip (3-prong throughout) and swap cables and amp/spkr/headphones until you can pin it down.

Usually refered to as a "ground loop" or lack of proper sheilding. aka cross-talk.

= Al =

PS: My external WD media-HDD spins-up when I access it (from sleep) ... every time it spins up it sounds like a jet-turbine, coming out of my spkrs ... it is the WDs "wall-wart" xformer PSU (or assoc shld/grnd) ... I live with it ... I almost kinda like it ... visitors think it sounds cool. I shut it down when I'm recording, etc.

= G'luck =

lafleur1977

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Alvin:

Thanks for your reply and sorry its taken me a while to reply to you.

I have tried a set of plain pc speakers which are powered via usb and the noise can still be heard.

All hard drives are internal and I have nothing external like psu's/enclosers.

The monitor is plugged into the same (APC) power extension gang as everything else, but I tried plugging the monitor into another power socket on the wall and the problem still existed. However, the power socket on the wall has 2 sockets (one for my extension gang and the other I put the monitor into, but is usually free).

I have tried a set of apple headphones and plugged into the onboard and there was no noise, but then tried my front panel audio jack and the noise was present....

I haven't got a Monster(TM) grade" fully sheilded audio cable however will buy one if you really think its worth a try? I have tried 5 different audio cables (one gold plated) and the problem still exists with them all.

"Plug everything into the same power strip (3-prong throughout) and swap cables and amp/spkr/headphones until you can pin it down." What do you mean by this? just plug my pc and monitor into the same power extension gang?

Also may be worth me mentioning, when there is no audio cables plugged in, I can still hear the sound from my PC slightly, just got me wondering which component it may be.

Thanks for your help :)

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

NO BIG SURPRISE, THERE !

Dont use that front jack !

The crappy $00.15 cable runs from an antennae shaped header, snaking thru an RF environment that could jam enemy RADAR !!!

Go straight from the back port ... buy a nice sheilded stereo extention cable (1/8" sheilded stereo straight-thru sex type) and anchor it somewhere on your console, using cable ties or adhesive tape, etc.

I have a feeling that no solution is forthcoming ... (other than the one I just suggested) .

Do youself a favor and don't spend to much of your vital life essence trying to fix this one !

= Al =

(PS: OR ... you can also purchase an external, USB, aftermarket sound module but you might want to test it before you throw the box & receipt away ... AND, if you have a spare firewire port, that would even be a better route).

lafleur1977

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Yeah I hardly ever use the front ports anyway, but just thought I would while I was testing.

I will get a shielded cable at the weekend and give it a try. Its not a big deal, just a minor annoyance so I can put up with it. I'm planning on getting a new monitor/ speakers soon anyway so that will hopefully solve it.

Thanks for your help dude :)