SSD without AHCI

hormel09

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Hello,

I was hoping to install an SSD. I've read that it is pretty important to have the AHCI SATA controller, mainly for the TRIM feature. My computer does not have an AHCI controller, only RAID and IDE. In this case, should I not install an SSD? From what I have read I will experience a significant drop in performance over time without TRIM. Do I have other options that will preserve the performance of my SSD?

Also, I have read that many people set up SSDs in a RAID. RAID is a separate controller from AHCI. Will the RAID configuration experience the same drop in performance over time? Because RAID does not have TRIM.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
What model is your motherboard.

it is very possible that your motherboard simply does not have TRIM support. inwhich case the only option to get it is to replace your motherboard or get a RAID card that supports TRIM and just use it as a storage controller.

hormel09

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model 0RY007 (Socket 775)
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model P35/G33/G31
Chipset Revision A2
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801IR (ICH9R)
Southbridge Revision 02

I looked up the boot options in my BIOS and I did not see the PCIe slots as one of them. Wouldn't an expansion card require a driver? How would I have this driver per-installed before installing the OS to the SDD connected to it?

hormel09

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
I was looking at Newegg and the storage controllers are PCIe x1. I have this type of connection; however, it is 1.0a so it has a band width of 250MB/s . SATA II is 3 Gb/s or 375MB/s. In my case, a storage controller would just choke all the benefits an SSD could provide.

You have a INTEL Chipset. Intel driver iaSTor will SUPPORT the trim function when the Intel BIOS is set to Raid and the SSD is on the intel controller and NOT a member drive of a Raid0 or 1 set. You need the Intel RST driver ver 10.6 or later (think they are up to 10.8 or later.

If you download and open AS SSD (Don't need to run Benchmark. Look at upper left and it will Identify whichih driver is being used.

PS You may have to use the F6 load additional driver during instal to get the proper driver loaded!!!

hormel09

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
RetiredChief--> Are these the drivers you are referring to?

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/cs-021701.htm

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=17882#help

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology

Do you know which of these I would need? There is an option for "which file do I need" in one of the lings, but it doesn't answer that question haha.

hormel09

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
OH. This is what AS SSD says in the upper left and corner
WDC
01.03b01
pciide-BAD
10558464 K- OK
465.76 GB

I think the pciide might be my pci storage controller that has nothing connected to it. Which of those is the driver I am using?

That is for your HDD.
When you connect SSD and install windows. If driver is still pcide then That is bad.

Use your first link for the F6 driver (Don't forget use custom install and on page showing HDs (SSD should be only drive connected) check the box for have driver.

Once Windows install is completed you can select allow Intel to check system. Most users here probably use the manual method.

hormel09

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
those instructions are for XP. I've reinstalled vista a couple times now and I don't recall ever being prompted to hit F6 for installing a 3rd party software. What part of the installation is this? I actually did a search for this and all the hits were for using floppy disk during the XP installations. I don't have a floppy drive either:(

XP and Vista Do NOT support trim only windows 7 supports the trim Cmd.

F6, additional drives is NOT a prompt UNLESS you select Custom instal AND check the box.

Even though your operating system does NOT support trim you should either yous ahci with eiter msahci or iastor as the driver. You can use raid burt must also use iaSTor as the driver.

Reason as SSD returned a value of "pcide (the driver) and equal "bad" is that as ssd is geared toward an SSD and if you use pcide your performance will drop considerably

hormel09

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012

This driver is what I would install during F6? How would I have it available during install? Would I have it in a USB stick and will it allow me to browse for it? Before the instillation what would I set the SATA controller to in the BIOS? I only have RAID and IDE.

Also, I thought the whole point of using the ahci controller for SSD is for the TRIM support. What other use is there, pertaining to the ssd itself.