Sign in with
Your question

Problem with sata 3 hdd installation

Last response: in Storage
March 21, 2012 3:42:58 AM

My new Seagate barracuda 7200 1tb 3.5" hdd is really playing up, I just finished buo.ding my custom rig, and now I booted from my win 7 install disk and it says there are no available hdds to install to. I have put the hdd into my other computer and formstted it into ntfs and it showed up.
My hdd is a sata 3. My mobo is a gigabyte ga-h61ma-d3v
It has jumpers for data 3 and data 2 connections, for the life of me I can't get this hdd to show up on this custom rig
My mobo came with a driver CD but it has a tonne of folders with random drivers and I dont know which one to use, as the windows installer prompts me to install a driver for my hdd. And why do i even need a driver for it to show up. Here are my configurations if it helps:

My hdd is pkugged into a sata 2 port, into port number 2
My optical drive is plugged into port 3

I actually have 2 sata 2 ports named 0 and 1 both empty
And i have 4 sata 2 ports named 0,1,2,3

My bios is configured to the sata controller is set to ahci, and my marvell controller is set to disabled.

I dont know what to do, please help and ask any information needed this is important as it is a type of task with a time limit and i need this done tonight
a b G Storage
March 21, 2012 3:52:38 AM

try it sata o first to see if bios will detect it
m
l
March 21, 2012 4:08:43 AM

Will puttong it into the sata 0 port really help?
m
l
Related resources
March 21, 2012 4:20:40 AM

I think i may have fixed it
So others can learn if they have the sane problem:

All sata 3 hdds require a driver, if you can not find it or simpky dont care whether you are using sata 3 or sata 2 then plug your hdd into a sata 2 slot, what you want to do is boot from cd into some type of linux distro livecd, i used ubuntu. Run gparted, format your unallocated drive which is your hdd into ntfs format and name it C. After that add a partition to your drive that takes up the full space, just leave the space field as its default as that will be its max capacity. Now make sure your bios controller config is set to ahci, and boot into windows installer again, voila your hdd should show up :-)
m
l
March 21, 2012 4:21:47 AM

And mske sure that the partition you add is akso in ntfs format whcich you will select in a drop down box
m
l
!