APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: now-2 weeks from now

BUDGET RANGE: >=$900 before rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, internet, movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, zzf.com COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: TN, USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type AMD, ATI

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I am a recent college graduate who is looking to replace the computer i have had since ~6 years ago. A HS buddy built the one I have now. It worked fairly well for what I needed until the last six months or so when it finally gave up the ghost. I am going to try to build a new one for the first time. My budget is bigger now that I am no longer a broke college kid though still somewhat limited, and my interests have turned more toward gaming than they were 6 years ago. I am by no means a super-serious gamer, but I would like to build something with the ability to handle newer games decently for a reasonable price. A friend who has built a few systems is giving me some advice and helped me come up with a working parts list.

Any suggestions on the parts that could potentially lower the price without sacrificing much performance would be much appreciated, as well as any general comments on the build that we are working on. I knew next to nothing about most of this a week ago, and its possible that i still don't, so please let me know if I am missing anything. A lot of research here and elsewhere has gotten me to this point, so I'd be glad to learn more.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-770TA UD3 $99.99
CPU: AMD Athlon x3 440 3.0 GHz $86.99
GPU and RAM: HSI Radeon 5770 1GB and OCZ AMD Black Edition 4GB DDR3 $282.92
HDD: SEAGATE Barracuda 7200rpm 500gb $59.99
CASE and PSU: Antec Three Hundred Illusion and Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W 12V $147.46
OPT DR: Sony Optiarc AD-7240S-0B $24.99
MONITOR: ASUS VW193TR 19in LCD $123.99

This prices out at about $926. I am more or less ok with that amount, but wouldn't mind saving some if possible. Any thoughts are much appreciated.
March 4, 2010 9:46:31 PM

I forgot that the $900 budget and $926 total at the bottom included the $100 I have already spent on Windows 7. The parts I have listed only total $826, I believe. Didn't think about that before posting.
m
l
March 4, 2010 9:57:34 PM

well i think that you should probably upgrade your cpu to a phenom quad core 955. You do not want your processor to bottleneck you otherwise good system. Just to note your motherboard does not support ddr3 1600 ram it only supports ddr3 1333.
Just note that you will have to do some things to get its rated speeds(overclock?)

Looks good
m
l
Related resources
March 5, 2010 12:50:44 PM

tecmo34 said:
I would purchase this combo from Newegg.com to save additional money... http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

The rest looks good to me.... :) 

Yeah, I looked at the combo on newegg, but it is actually cheaper for me to buy it from zzf because i am located in TN which means i have an additional $16 in tax at Newegg because they have a warehouse here or something. Otherwise the combo would be a better deal.
m
l
March 5, 2010 1:35:45 PM

Personally I would wait on the monitor until you can get a decent 19xx res monitor which are usually around 160 or so. Take the extra money you are not spending on the monitor and get the 5850. Then down the road spend the 160 on the monitor for a much better picture.

but other then that everything else is good..

Oh if you are going to over clock then you might want to get an after market cooler. the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus is possibly the best bang for the buck at 35 dollars. Here
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 6, 2010 4:24:37 AM

Actually for res like 1440 x 900 one could get by with a HD 4770/GTS 250/HD 4850 so
with some manipulation some huge savings could be had @@
m
l
!