Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking to build a system that handles WoW WotLK and Blu Ray videos

Last response: in Systems
March 4, 2010 9:31:49 PM

As the title states I'm looking for the above qualities. I have about $200 each month to buy components that can stretch to about $300 if I really pinch my pennies in other areas. Id like to get back to my WoW account fairly soon as I've had to put it on inactive since my laptop took a total dump.

I've already chosen to go with AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

and purchased a 20" HD capable monitor

I was wondering what other parts I should probably get that won't be ridiculously expensive but wont be too underpowered compared to the cpu and vice versa - basically something that is fairly balanced and upgradeable as they keep on adding patches to WoW and similar games. I also own Dragon Age and I would like to play that as well.
March 4, 2010 9:38:40 PM

Meribast said:
As the title states I'm looking for the above qualities. I have about $200 each month to buy components that can stretch to about $300 if I really pinch my pennies in other areas. Id like to get back to my WoW account fairly soon as I've had to put it on inactive since my laptop took a total dump.

I've already chosen to go with AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

and purchased a 20" HD capable monitor

I was wondering what other parts I should probably get that won't be ridiculously expensive but wont be too underpowered compared to the cpu and vice versa - basically something that is fairly balanced and upgradeable as they keep on adding patches to WoW and similar games. I also own Dragon Age and I would like to play that as well.

Oh and I dont need a new keyboard, mouse or speaker system. I have wireless keyboard and mouse and a new speaker system in the box still.

otherwise I dont have it lol. My experience fiddling with computer innards is a bit old so dumbing down jargon would be a good thing but I have basic personal computer experience back to MS DOS and edlin lol.
m
l
March 5, 2010 1:15:59 AM

EDLIN FTW! Man, I remember that. It was TERRIBLE. God bless that editor that came next!
m
l
Related resources
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 5, 2010 2:39:10 AM

BluRay. I recommend a dedicated player for an HDTV. Otherwise, you need three things:
- the software (Nero 9, Cyberlink etc.). Read reviews and Google.
- BluRay reader (better read reviews. still expensive)
- video card (ATI card with UVD2. Recommend an HD5770.)

The other parts are pretty easy to figure out. The best way to get a quiet system:
- Large quiet CPU HSF
- two, very quiet 120mm fans for air flow in the case
- Vapor-X Graphics card
- Good quality PSU (like Corsair)
m
l
April 22, 2010 12:39:49 AM

I'm sorta tarded when it comes to this research stuff. Is a higher number card in the ATI GPUs indicative of a more advanced card that incorporates all the elements of previous/lower level cards (sort of backward compatible?) or is it comparing apples and oranges?

Some of my research limitations is the computers I have to access the internet screen out a lot of sites so I can't check what the system recommendations are for WoW: Cataclysm whether they are official or just guesstimated nor can I look up a lot of reviews of boards and such.

I'm not sure whether Crossfire capable boards should even be on my radar...

anyone got a good familiarity with ATI GPUs and wouldn't mind giving some advice in its selection...I'm really limited now to about a max expenditure of about $200 per month of discretionary expense. Beyond that it is real difficult.

and question re Blu Ray players and compatible monitors: would I need a cpu and all that to run a normal blu ray player to a compatible monitor? or can I just hook them up and start watching movies in the interim? My regular portable dvd player with screen crapped out and I can't watch anything atm.

Any knowledgable answers would be appreciated more than "do research." There is so much information out there that is not collected and simplified so its very frustrating for people who have limited knowledge with these issues (someone like me!)
m
l

Best solution

April 22, 2010 12:50:44 AM

Yes in a sense, some of the top ati cards now are 5770, 5850, 5870, 5970. Yes and the price also goes up with the model #.

Btw I can't really build you anything for $200, even $300. Most video cards alone might cost more then that. Perhaps you're better off saving $700-1000 then try again to build a system. I know that's easier said then done but it'll be better to build everything together.

But here's a sample build from another thread, perfect mid-level build that can run most games on mid-high levels
CPU: X3 425 $70
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 $80 after rebate
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115
GPU: HD 5770 $150
HDD: Seagate 7200.12 500 GB $55
Case/PSU: Antec 300 Illusion and Earthwatts 430W $115
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $22
April 22, 2010 1:20:36 AM

He has 200-300 per month in which to buy the items one at a time. So give him a build and he can pick priorities for purchase, which is what you did.
m
l
May 12, 2010 1:15:41 AM

Best answer selected by Meribast.
m
l
May 12, 2010 1:18:00 AM

Yeah thanks for actually reading my post lol.
m
l
!